Straya!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Straya!

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:59 am

Sure, why not?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:30 am

Bullshit. The difference between them is koalitative!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:47 am

Queensland used to have the dubious honour of having the most corrupt state government in Australia. It was a brazenly open corruption that kept getting worse under the leadership of its Premier, Joh Bjelke-Petersen until a couple of journalists managed to get their findings published in the mainstream media. The publications forced the establishment of a Commission of Inquiry into Possible Illegal Activities and Associated Police Misconduct in 1987. By the time it had finished its work two years later three government ministers and the state's police commissioner were jailed. A fourth minister escaped a jail sentence by dying before a verdict was reached. For nefarious reasons the Premier evaded a prison sentence.
Bjelke-Petersen was put on trial for perjury in respect of evidence he gave to the inquiry. The jury in the case was deadlocked, bringing about a mistrial. In 1992, it was revealed that the jury foreman, Luke Shaw, was a member of the Young Nationals, was identified with the "Friends of Joh" movement and had misrepresented the state of deliberations to the judge. According to an ABC TV analysis: "A later inquiry conducted by Justice Bill Carter found the selection process had been manipulated by ... ex-police officers ... helping to put Joh before a jury led by Young Nationals member, Luke Shaw". A special prosecutor announced in 1992 there would be no retrial because Sir Joh, then aged 81, was too old.
He was sacked by his own party, though. The National Party of Australia's 32-year run as the governing political party in Queensland, largely by means of extreme gerrymandering (at one stage it remained the senior government coalition partner despite only winning 19% of the popular vote) lost the next election, and the incoming Labor government cleaned the place up.

The corruption crown belongs to the state of New South Wales now. Its Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, resigned five days ago. Stories about her "personal relationship" with the MP for Wagga, his brown bag of cash for arranging something via his government connections and her knowledge of it have been making the rounds for months, but the mainstream media have bent over backwards to portray the sordid mess as a momentary error of judgement. On Friday the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) has announced it will have a close look at it, so she realised that her position as Premier is untenable.

That is not the end of the current kerfuffle in New South Wales. Yesterday, the state's Deputy Premier, John Barilaro, has also resigned. Asked at a press conference whether he too was under investigation by the Independent Commission Against Corruption, he replied he could not possibly say. My guess is that plenty more worms will emerge from this particular can.

Not that the New South Wales branch of the Labor Party has much to crow about. It is yet to live down the fact that two of its Ministers were handed relatively lengthy prison terms for their criminally corrupt shenanigans last time it was governing the state. Their convictions resulted from earlier enquiries conducted by the Independent Commission Against Corruption.

Now for a joke concerning ICAC and politicians: Following the recent resignations, the incumbent federal Deputy Prime Minister had a dummy-spit. Because of ICAC, so he claimed, "politicians are basically terrified to do their job". Terrified of having their corruption exposed? He also likened ICAC to the Spanish Inquisition, ignoring as he did so that unlike the Spanish Inquisition, ICAC is not a court of law. It does not hand out sentences. It does not even charge anyone with a crime. After it concludes its investigations it hands its findings to the director of public prosecutions who in turn decides if on the feasibility of laying charges and taking the matter(s) to a court of law. Of course the court may then decide to dismiss the case.

Now I await the traditional trumpeting about the superiority of the Netherlands and how favourably it compares to the Anglo-Saxon ways of doing things.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:30 am

Queensland corruption is the best corruption.

(I was thinking that Joh's heritage was Dutch, but unfortunately it was Danish). :sigh:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:46 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:30 am
(I was thinking that Joh's heritage was Dutch, but unfortunately it was Danish). :sigh:
They all look the same to us Africans.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:40 am

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 am

*allegedly

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:27 pm

What's so special about him doing so in a McD anyway? those politico types are so full of shit it has to come out at times.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:23 pm

They are Ozzies. Everything that happens there is unique. :smoke:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:28 am

Once you see it...

Tasmania is mislabelled, though. It's a furball.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:00 pm

:lol:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:05 am

Queensland's great weather:

‘Grapefruit-sized’: Australia’s largest hailstone recorded after Queensland storms
The Bureau of Meteorology verifies 16cm stone after dangerous thunderstorm lashes Yalboroo area near Mackay

The largest hailstone ever to fall in Australia – a whopping 16cm in diameter – has been recorded in Queensland after heavy storms hammered the Mackay region on Tuesday afternoon.

Forecaster Dean Narramore from the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) told the ABC that the “dangerous thunderstorm” lashed the Yalboroo area north of Mackay leading to multiple reports of giant hail.

While many of the stones measured 12 to 14cm in diameter Narramore said a “very impressive” image had been sent to the BoM’s Queensland office allowing them to verify the 16cm reading.

Photos and video posted to the Higgins Storm Chasing Facebook page showed the aftermath of hail punching through car windshields and denting solar panels.

Ian Leeson, a user on the page responding to an image of a fist-sized hailstone described it as “killer ice”.

“Get hit in the head with one of those travelling at terminal velocity and you won’t survive,” Leeson said.

A spokesperson for the Insurance Council of Australia said they were currently talking to their members who have a large number of policyholders in Queensland.

Hailstorms are often billion-dollar events as they can affect a wide area and cause massive damage in a matter of minutes.

Last year the Halloween hailstorm that struck Ipswich in Queensland caused $1.05bn in damage.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:10 am

People in glasshouses...
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:34 am

Dutch weather is the best weather.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:16 am

Well it is. We dont have extremes or bugs like Ozland. You can use the beaches without any fear. You dont need a car to move around. Take a bike everywhere or walk in our great pedestrianised towns and cities.

Just look at the quality of the infrastructure.