Britain is going to be Tory for at least 10 years.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Britain is going to be Tory for at least 10 years.

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:21 pm

Home Office evokes Orwellian vision of anti-extremism commission

A Home Office decision to use a picture of heavily armoured and masked line of police pointing automatic weapons at the camera will raise questions over what image the government wants to create for its new commission to counter extremism.
@UKHomeOffice

Counter-terrorism strategy will be reviewed and a new commission will work to stamp out extremist ideology in all its forms #QueensSpeech

Downing Street says the commission is to be set up to “support the government in stamping out extremist ideology in all its forms”. But it will also be given the task of supporting the public sector and civil society in “promoting pluralistic British values and reducing tolerance of extremism”.

To do this the commission “will be expected to build partnerships with all those opposed to extremism, disrupt the most dangerous extremists, and build cohesive communities,” according to briefing notes published with the Queen’s speech on Wednesday.

It is difficult to see how images such as the one tweeted by the Home Office will help foster the cooperation of those likely to find themselves at the wrong end of this particular brand of police firepower.

Indeed, it seems rather too close to the police state in George Orwell’s 1984: “If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – forever.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... commission
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:43 pm

I don't mind the concept of stamping in the face of a violent, committed jihadist, but I'm also aware that the issue is not letting the "boot stamping" spread beyond that...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:04 pm

The government’s policy of imposing the benefit cap on tens of thousands of lone parents with children under the age of two is unlawful, discriminatory and has resulted in “real damage” to the families affected, the high court has ruled.

The benefit cap, which limits the total amount households can receive in benefits to £20,000 a year, or £23,000 in Greater London, was envisaged as an “incentive” to persuade unemployed people to move into work.

However, Mr Justice Collins said in his judgment that the policy visited “real misery to no good purpose” on lone parents with very young children who were subject to the cap despite there being no official requirement for them to find work.

He said: “The evidence shows that the cap is capable of real damage to individuals such as the claimants. They are not workshy but find it, because of the care difficulties, impossible to comply with the work requirement.”

Most lone parents with children aged under two were not the sort of households the cap was intended to cover and it was “obvious” that it would exacerbate poverty. “Real misery is being caused to no good purpose.”

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has been given leave to appeal against the ruling. A spokesperson said: “We are disappointed with the decision and intend to appeal. Work is the best way to raise living standards, and many parents with young children are employed."...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... wful-court
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:22 pm

"no good purpose"?? What more reason do you need than punishing poor people?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Indeed. A disproportional and adverse impact for such a nominal cost saving.

If poverty was an incentive to fiscal improvement then company executives, bankers, footballers, and politicians should have their wages docked every time the fail.

Frank Zappa

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Yes, there's a peculiar idea that seems to have a subtle yet pervasive hold over much of our society, presumably originating as ideas of class and being exacerbated by Thatcherism, that poor and rich deserve to be treated quite differently. I saw it spelled out quite well by James O'Brien here:
"I mean, how can anybody be in support of a cut to disability benefit but be opposed to a tax rise for someone earning £100,000 a year? Or does that just make me sound horribly naive?"

James said it was evidence of an idea that rich and poor deserve different incentives for work.

"You want poor people to work harder, you pay them less so that they have to do more hours.

"You want rich people to work harder, you have to pay them more so that for every hour they do they get even more money than they would have done last year.

"I'm not going to lie to you, I just don't get that."
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 pm

:tup:

Frank Zappa

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:16 am

The world isn't fair. The top guys get more. The bottom trod on. Who knew? :dunno:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:18 am

Thanks for that, Seth.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:36 am

pErvin wrote:Thanks for that, Seth.
Roll a loaded dice expecting fairness, you won't get it. And so far all attempts to flatten the mountains have ended in hell on Earth. No Seth necessary. :coffee:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:44 am

Ok Seth.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:58 am

Crumple wrote:The world isn't fair. The top guys get more. The bottom trod on. Who knew? :dunno:
It's not that it's not fair, it's that there's a pervasive belief that it's somehow *right* to treat the rich better than the poor that a lot of people seem to unconsciously go along with.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:22 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Crumple wrote:The world isn't fair. The top guys get more. The bottom trod on. Who knew? :dunno:
It's not that it's not fair, it's that there's a pervasive belief that it's somehow *right* to treat the rich better than the poor that a lot of people seem to unconsciously go along with.
Loading the dice slightly with that 'unconsciously' there. :tup:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 am

Really Crumps, you should get that seen to.

Frank Zappa

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Fuckin' Tories.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Is it too much to ask for a conservative party to, you know conserve something, principles, ideals, family values, well anything for that matter. How the fuck did we end up with a autistic robot who is awkward around ordinary people and needs to resort to stock phases rather than being able to think on her feet. How the fuck was this retard allowed to write the manifesto without oversight. Be responsible and buy your house, lol we will take it away if you get sick. Posh cunts can tear foxes apart using dogs in a nation of animal lovers. Tally oh. Internet censorship like mummy state, all tech firms relocate to Ireland. School dinners aka fuck families. I nearly throw up when I read it.

Don't get me wrong I still despise Labour and thanks to the DUP we will have just about dodged a bullet there but at least they are allowed to have a leader who follows their principles and aims and ideology. It looks like the 'wet' tories have won over the party forever. :(
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.