Britain is going to be Tory for at least 10 years.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Britain is going to be Tory for at least 10 years.

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:01 am

:funny:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:25 am

I don't often feel too much compassion for politicians. On the other hand I sometimes think we underestimate their sense of public duty.

Anyway I wouldn't wish to be in Teresa May's shoes right now..

Minority government, enemies in the cabinet ready to stab her in the back at the first opportunity, a vertical hill to climb with Brexit in the new year and hardly a political friend around her. Must be pretty miserable.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:50 am

Rum wrote: I wouldn't wish to be in Teresa May's shoes right now..
Yeah, you prefer something with a higher heel.
Minority government, enemies in the cabinet ready to stab her in the back at the first opportunity, a vertical hill to climb with Brexit in the new year and hardly a political friend around her. Must be pretty miserable.
Perhaps now she'll have a reshuffle.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:06 am

Charles Henry John Benedict Crofton Chetwynd Chetwynd-Talbot is among our brightest and best...
Tory peer faces second investigation over lobbying allegations

A Conservative hereditary peer is under investigation for a second time by the House of Lords standards watchdog over allegations that he misused his parliamentary position to lobby for a firm that was paying him.

The Earl of Shrewsbury claimed in correspondence that he was meeting a series of politicians and officials to promote a healthcare firm that employed him as a consultant.

The leaked documents show that the peer boasted “very considerable” potential to open doors for the firm, SpectrumX, through what he called “my extremely high-level contacts”. He described one of his contacts as being “at the very top of the feed chain”.

The Guardian can reveal that the earl also tabled nine questions in parliament that elicited information from the government about issues that appear to be connected to SpectrumX, which marketed products to combat coronavirus. After he had received answers from a minister, the peer forwarded them on to SpectrumX.

Peers are not allowed to exploit the House of Lords or their political to lobby specifically for commercial firms and organisations that pay them...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... llegations

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:44 am

Frank Zappa