OK, quite scared right now

Lozzer
First Only Gay

OK, quite scared right now

Post by Lozzer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:38 pm

So I went and bought some bread today from the local tescoes. I looked through my change to check it was all there while leaving. Well I was surprised. i wasn't short-changed, no but I did find this.

RIRA inscribed onto a one pound coin. Its done very beautifully, its craftsmanship in itself. But nonetheless, some terrorist did it :/
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Re: OK, quite scared right now

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:40 pm

Letter punched by the looks of it - hardly craftsmanship - just hit it with a hammer.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Post by Lozzer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Letter punched by the looks of it - hardly craftsmanship - just hit it with a hammer.
lol but why?

To spread fear by distributing coins?
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Post by Lozzer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:49 pm

Real IRA stamp in Belfast

(by Suzanne Breen, the Village)

Real IRA supporters in Belfast are engraving pound coins with the initials of the paramilitary group. Hundreds of coins are circulating in the west and north of the city with "RIRA" machine-stamped on the side of the Queen's head.

The DUP has described it as "a sick publicity stunt" which is disrespectful to the British monarch. "This is insulting to the entire population of Northern Ireland, Catholic and Protestant," said Ian Paisley jnr.

"These people have no respect for our Britishness. They need to face the political reality that the Queen's head is on our currency because she is the British sovereign and Northern Ireland remains British."

He added that the inscribed coins were a grave insult to the Omagh bomb victims. A republican supporter justified the engraving: "The Queen's head insults Irish victims of British imperialism yet we have to look at it every day."

Displays of paramilitary support haven't appeared on the North's currency for years. In the early Troubles, their supporters stamped "IRA" on coinage. During the H-Block hunger-strike, republicans wrote 'H-Block' on banknotes to show solidarity with hunger-strikers and raise public awareness of the campaign.

Loyalist paramilitaries have previously manufactured fake banknotes inscribed with UDA and UVF insignia. The Real IRA was formed in 1997 by senior Provisionals opposed to the ceasefire and the Adams-McGuinness leadership's political direction.

It initially posed a major threat to the peace process with a series of high-profile bomb attacks on security and commercial targets but was forced to call a ceasefire after the 1998 Omagh bomb in which 29 civilians were killed.

It restarted its campaign within 18 months but shortly afterwards several leading figures were arrested and jailed. Although not on ceasefire, in recent years it has been unable to mount a sustained military campaign.
http://www.nuzhound.com/articles/arts20 ... SBreen.php

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:50 pm

The acronym, I assume stands for the 'Real IRA'!

Debasing the queen's coinage - propaganda!

Edit: Oops - posted the same time as the above

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Post by Lozzer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Rumertron wrote:The acronym, I assume stands for the 'Real IRA'!

Yep.

I wonder what its worth?

cowiz
Shirley
About me: Head up a camels arse

Post by cowiz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Lozzer wrote:
Rumertron wrote:The acronym, I assume stands for the 'Real IRA'!

Yep.

I wonder what its worth?
A quid.
It's a piece of piss to be cowiz, but it's not cowiz to be a piece of piss. Or something like that.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:14 am

It was probably stamped buy some pissed Paddy that hasn't taken a step that side of the water in the last 20 years.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Post by Lozzer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:26 am

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 31387.html

The carving is the exact same as the above.