What would the Skepchicks think?

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: What would the Skepchicks think?

Post by FBM » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:22 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Yeah. It was just a joke. There's no difference really. :hehe:
:spray: Subtle. I like that...
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:36 am

Just another example of the complex tensions underlying the myriad ways that hominid sexuality intersects with the modern world...

No right or wrong, just inevitable cognitive dissonance...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:44 am

You know how I even know a damn thing about the Skepchicks? You, CES! Through threads like this! That's how!

You are a Skepchick enabler... actually a Skepchick promoter! Were it not for the attention that people like you gave to elevatorgate and the following controversies, do you think Rebecca Watson would have been voted the Most Influential Woman Skeptic (or whatever that title was) that Ayaan Hirsi Ali won last year?

I think she should thank you and Pappa in her acceptance speech!
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:51 am

Robert_S wrote:You know how I even know a damn thing about the Skepchicks? You, CES! Through threads like this! That's how!

You are a Skepchick enabler... actually a Skepchick promoter! Were it not for the attention that people like you gave to elevatorgate and the following controversies, do you think Rebecca Watson would have been voted the Most Influential Woman Skeptic (or whatever that title was) that Ayaan Hirsi Ali won last year?

:lol:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

tantamount

Post by tantamount » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:56 am

Robert_S wrote: You are a Skepchick enabler... actually a Skepchick promoter! Were it not for the attention that people like you gave to elevatorgate and the following controversies, do you think Rebecca Watson would have been voted the Most Influential Woman Skeptic (or whatever that title was) that Ayaan Hirsi Ali won last year?

Er, you do know that this prestigious award is the creation of a FTBlogger, and has an inappropriate number of FTB/skepchicks disconcertingly interspersed with (actually and justifiably) famous feminists (like Hirsi Ali and Jessica Ahlquist)? In any case, Watson takes the honors (undoubtedly for her steadfastness in the face of transgressed elevator mores). I'm uncertain why it isn't just called the Skepchick High Popularity Contest.

Sparkle!
Last edited by tantamount on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 am

OOOO - 223 votes!

amok
About me: Bearer of bad news.

Post by amok » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Holy cow! The airline should have been fined more than that.
Thang said VJA got the fine for violating the local aviation regulations by organizing an unapproved show on a plane.

When asked if VJA had also violated aviation safety regulation for letting passengers use camera phones to record the three-minute show he said that because the phones were used in movie mode only, they did not affect flight safety.

Come on, now. How the hell do they know the phones were in movie mode only? Look at them all. All it would take is one or two idiots to decide this needed to be shared with world right now. Some of them probably did, actually, and it was pure luck it didn't affect flight safety. I wouldn't be at all happy being on a flight where no one stopped the passengers from using their phones like that.
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Robert_S wrote:You know how I even know a damn thing about the Skepchicks? You, CES! Through threads like this! That's how!

The Elevatorgate thing was not originally brought up by me here. I think it was weeks after the event occurred that I became aware of it. I certainly found the event interesting, and worthwhile discussion. But, Elevatorgate went viral long before I became involved.

I didn't know she was voted most influential woman skeptic. If that's correct, then that is, I think, unjustified.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:57 pm

amok wrote:Holy cow! The airline should have been fined more than that.
Thang said VJA got the fine for violating the local aviation regulations by organizing an unapproved show on a plane.

When asked if VJA had also violated aviation safety regulation for letting passengers use camera phones to record the three-minute show he said that because the phones were used in movie mode only, they did not affect flight safety.

Come on, now. How the hell do they know the phones were in movie mode only? Look at them all. All it would take is one or two idiots to decide this needed to be shared with world right now. Some of them probably did, actually, and it was pure luck it didn't affect flight safety. I wouldn't be at all happy being on a flight where no one stopped the passengers from using their phones like that.
Well, the reality is that using the phones is not a matter of flight safety. That's bollocks.

If it was a safety issue, they wouldn't leave it up to a matter of trust to leave phones and tablets on "flight mode." Clearly, they can't monitor everyone. So, if it was a matter of flight safety, terrorists are missing a golden opportunity: have a couple of terrorists go on board with a laptop, phone and tablet each, and then at the precisely choreographed moment, they turn them all on and take them out of airplane mode!

Planes would be crashing all over the place....

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Well, the reality is that using the phones is not a matter of flight safety. That's bollocks.
Almost certainly true.
There was a Mythbusters episode in which the daring duo tested the effects of cell phones on aircraft navigation equipment and other electronics. I am sure you will be astounded to discover that the effect was zero.

The ban on cellphones in planes is based on some very shaky theoretical considerations, and is almost certainly not a problem.
For every human action, there is a rationalisation and a reason. Only sometimes do they coincide.

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 pm

Blind groper wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:
Almost certainly true.
There was a Mythbusters episode in which the daring duo tested the effects of cell phones on aircraft navigation equipment and other electronics. I am sure you will be astounded to discover that the effect was zero.

The ban on cellphones in planes is based on some very shaky theoretical considerations, and is almost certainly not a problem.
It's just a control thing for bogus psychological reasons. Much like most of airport security...liquids, body scanners, shoe-removal...good theater, but that's about it.
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:08 pm

It's complete and utter bollocks. Why do they perpetuate the myth? :dunno:

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:24 pm

According to the Mythbusters, the ban on cell phones in planes is just a case of being very, very cautious. They said 1 in a million chance of a new cell phone having an effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdfQqBAVsfk
For every human action, there is a rationalisation and a reason. Only sometimes do they coincide.

orpheus
About me: The name is Epictetus. Waldo Epictetus.

Post by orpheus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:Good Christ, will you stop being so obsessed with the Skepchicks already? :gaah:
But...but...what can we be obsessed with if not the Skepchicks?

:shock:
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allows you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

—Richard Serra

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:12 am

I'm sure they would react the same way as always.
Attachments
FtB.jpg
FtB.jpg (53.31 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);