They are 'shutting' Pirate Bay. Good or Bad?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: They are 'shutting' Pirate Bay. Good or Bad?

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:02 am

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... hurt-sales

Study by the EU showing piracy doesn't affect digital sales and actually benefits sales. Also hinting at my suggestion that the entertainment industry meet the pirates head and out-do them rather than wasting time trying to eradicate them.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 am

Animavore wrote:http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... hurt-sales

Study by the EU showing piracy doesn't affect digital sales and actually benefits sales. Also hinting at my suggestion that the entertainment industry meet the pirates head and out-do them rather than wasting time trying to eradicate them.
In the end, that will probably be the only sensible move they can make...

Enforcement just ain't gonna work...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:35 am

Of course enforcement won't work. They can't just lock everyone up. And just about everyone does it these days. Do you know what people do these days? They call around to each other's houses with their USB sticks and their external HDDs and they say, "What yi got there? I've got all these." and they up/download each other's movies, TV shows, music and games onto each other's devices. People have terrabytes of media on their external HDDs. You can just plug the thing straight into your TV and play everything from there. I know people who don't even have or know how to work computers or laptops who have external HDDs they've had filled with tons of stuff from their friends.

Even if they decide, let's not lock up people, let's lock up the people distributing the stuff, they still have can't get around servers in other countries out of their jurisdiction. We can't police the globe. As much as some think we should.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:52 am

I'm not sure that "everyone does it" is a good enough excuse for something not to be a crime....
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:52 am

Merka can police the globe. :coffee:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:58 am

Clinton Huxley wrote:I'm not sure that "everyone does it" is a good enough excuse for something not to be a crime....
No. It's not. I'm just saying you can't lock everyone up. It's impractical. We just don't have the room to lock up thousands upon thousands of people. And it would literally be everyone. Grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, siblings, children, rich, poor. Fucking everyone!

Piracy is endemic, it's as common as comments on the weather. It's not just something carried out by sleazy underground people in dingy motels. It won't be tackled by coming down on everyone. Sure even all the prime ministers, ministers and police officer's and their children will take a hit. All manner of professional people. It's not just something "the proles" do.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:07 am

Clinton Huxley wrote:I'm not sure that "everyone does it" is a good enough excuse for something not to be a crime....
If it's part of the mores, you can make it a crime anyway, but enforcemment will be difficult.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:11 am

Clinton Huxley wrote:
Animavore wrote:Game of Thrones, the piracy of which leads to way more DVD and Blu-ray box-sets than they would reasonably get through their paying viewership
How do you know? We've no way of knowing how much it would have sold if piracy wasn't possible...
Uhm...
Monty Python wrote:For 7 years you YouTubers have been ripping us off, taking tens of thousands of our videos and putting them on YouTube. Now the tables are turned. It's time for us to take matters into our own hands.

We know who you are, we know where you live and we could come after you in ways too horrible to tell. But being the extraordinarily nice chaps we are, we've figured a better way to get our own back: We've launched our own Monty Python channel on YouTube.

No more of those crap quality videos you've been posting. We're giving you the real thing - HQ videos delivered straight from our vault.

What's more, we're taking our most viewed clips and uploading brand new HQ versions. And what's even more, we're letting you see absolutely everything for free. So there!

But we want something in return.

None of your driveling, mindless comments. Instead, we want you to click on the links, buy our movies & TV shows and soften our pain and disgust at being ripped off all these years.
Linky

Result? Amazon's sales of Monty Python's productions increased 23,000%, climbing up to No. 2 on its Movies & TV bestsellers list in the process.

Speaking only for myself, I have bought quite a bunch of DVDs and CDs after pirating samples. I have also pirated samples of publications without buying them because they are simply not available. In fact, I have downloaded all of Jonathan Miller's excellent series on medical history named "The Body in Question". To my amazement, it has never been published in DVD format by the time I searched for it a couple of years ago. It was available on video tape ten years earlier, but no longer is.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:26 am

For things like music you shouldn't need to pirate anyway. You can listen off YouTube. I often surf music by playing a band I like and following "Recommended for you" section down the side and find loads of music I would never of heard (especially at this age with all my friends growing out of touch with the latest).
No of course there's a risk that some of the content is up illegally but as far as I'm concerned it's fine until deemed otherwise. After all, some stuff stays there for years meaning the bands or labels concerned aren't bothered about it.

Bazzer

Post by Bazzer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:59 am

If you want something, you should just nick it. Us scouser's haven't paid for anything for fuck'n ages.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:02 am

Bazzer wrote:If you want something, you should just nick it. Us scouser's haven't paid for anything for fuck'n ages.

Fucking funny!