PETA miffed at President Obama's fly "execution"

ScholasticSpastic
Inscrutable Inoculator

Re: PETA miffed at President Obama's fly "execution"

Post by ScholasticSpastic » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:04 am

Existentialist1844 wrote: To a certain degree there is an objective measure of importance. But that would all depend on what you view as important-that is, what the end should be.
An objective measure of importance would, by definition, be independent of what I view as important. Everything is subjectively important. In nature, everything is important inasmuch as other things need to eat them. Flies are very important- lots of things eat them. It's also important that we keep flies out of our homes as they can be vectors for infection. From an evolutionary point of view, it's usually more efficient to swat the buggers and thus have more energy left over for sex then it is to chase them, catch them, and release them. There is no amount of swatting which will appreciably diminish the number of flies in the world: they have had to evolve a rather wasteful reproductive strategy because so many things eat them. There will always be extra flies.
Yes, everything DOES have a right to live.
And everything survives by killing something else. Which requires a tremendous logical contortion if everything has a right to live. We can get away with avoiding contorted logic if we discard the rather useless notion that everything has a right to live.
Of course stuff dies. But there is a difference between something dying because of natural causes, or one animal killing another to stay alive, and the senseless killing of something without justification.
We kill flies to stay alive. We just don't eat them afterward- because doing so would sort of defeat our purpose in having killed them to keep them out of our food.

Oh, but you might say that birds, for instance, MUST kill flies in order to survive, while we have the option of not killing a particular fly. Bullshit, my friend. No bird ever starved to death by missing one fly. Every animal is able to choose not to kill another particular animal and still live. But if the other animals suffered from this bullshit ethical baggage and decided never to kill, we would quickly see things begin to go to shit. Life is all about death. Animals kill, and that includes us.
"You've got to be a real asshole to quote yourself!"
~ScholasticSpastic

(I am not a police officer. I am unarmed.)

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:12 am

Cursed flies! I take me old blunderbuss to 'em. Have huge holes in the oak-panelling of course but it's capital sport.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:15 am

A couple of months ago some tiny insect flew into my left ear. I kind of ignored it, hoping that it'll find its own way out, but the irritating sound it made as it moved about on those hair-like sound detectors got to me. Charlou filled my ear with water. That worked. The tiny critter came to the surface. Unfortunately, swimming was not one of its skills, so it might be said that we killed it by drowning.

Should I write to PETA and request that it sends us a device that extracts little animals from ears without killing them? We would so dearly have seen it fly off into the great big world again.

I really wonder if any one of their members is aware of just how many insects and bugs they are responsible for killing by merely buying a packet of rice, or some veggies, or how many entire animal species have been, and continue to be, wiped out because we live in hamlets, villages or cities, how many forests get felled, killing millions of animals and preventing billions more from continuing succeeding generations, just so they can wipe their arses with nice, soft toilet paper.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:34 am

My guess is it keeps them awake nights, along with the mosquitoes they allow to feast on their skin and the mites they refuse to vacuum from their beds and carpets.
no fences

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:38 pm

I find it interesting that all of the logical, pragmatic arguments for individual animal life being ultimately unimportant are being played out in this thread, yet in the thread next door, the one about some teen mutilating and killing cats, there is nothing but emotional invective.

However objective we try to be, we can't get away from the fact that flies are icky and cats are cute! :mrgreen:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:41 pm

Manofnofaith wrote:I wouldn't call meat "killing without justification". Why?

BACON!

Yummy yummy bacon!
Bacon! :food:

BACON! :mrgreen:
Mmmmm....bacon. :drool:
We danced.

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:43 pm

Flies get swatted if they bother me. Slugs get salted, snails trodden on, ants get the boiling water treatment. As for the wasps, oh the wasps.....

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:I find it interesting that all of the logical, pragmatic arguments for individual animal life being ultimately unimportant are being played out in this thread, yet in the thread next door, the one about some teen mutilating and killing cats, there is nothing but emotional invective.

However objective we try to be, we can't get away from the fact that flies are icky and cats are cute! :mrgreen:
She wasn't going to eat the cat, was she?

Anyway, I tried to be as coherent as possible and not post strong emotional invective in the cat thread.
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:01 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:I find it interesting that all of the logical, pragmatic arguments for individual animal life being ultimately unimportant are being played out in this thread, yet in the thread next door, the one about some teen mutilating and killing cats, there is nothing but emotional invective.

Anyway, I tried to be as coherent as possible and not post strong emotional invective in the cat thread.
I don't believe Obama was intending to eat the fly, was he? Both Obama and the teenager killed an animal for no reason other than it happened to cross their path.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:I don't believe Obama was intending to eat the fly, was he? Both Obama and the teenager killed an animal for no reason other than it happened to cross their path.
The fly should have be apprehended by the Secret Service and sent to Gitmo for violating the Prez's comfort zone. :lay:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
FrigidSymphony wrote:

I don't believe Obama was intending to eat the fly, was he? Both Obama and the teenager killed an animal for no reason other than it happened to cross their path.
Flies aren't a viable food source. Cats are (even though carnivorous animals generally aren't good eating).
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:17 pm

I should imagine flies are quite high in protein and low in fat. Getting enough for a stew might be a problem though.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:19 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:I should imagine flies are quite high in protein and low in fat. Getting enough for a stew might be a problem though.
One might be quite enough. (Warning, icky.)
Trigger Warning!!!1! :

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:22 pm

Haha, plenty for everyone there, Zilla. I'll have a leg, please.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:24 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:Haha, plenty for everyone there, Zilla. I'll have a leg, please.
Dibs on the Hot Wings concession. :what: