Geert Wilders: Scumbag or Legend?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Geert Wilders: Scumbag or Legend?

Post by Svartalf » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:56 am

Hermit wrote:Thanks, Geert.

Are you making the same mistake of equating the Qur'an with all Muslims?
given that the quran is often more moderate than the hadith them muslims go by, if they even go by hadith rather than by unscriptural custom... your argument is invalid
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:42 am

Svartalf wrote:

given that the quran is often more moderate than the hadith them muslims go by, if they even go by hadith rather than by unscriptural custom... your argument is invalid
Please clarify. Are you saying that all Muslims are glued to the hadiths?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:34 am

It's a sticky subject, that's for sure.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:51 am

Hermit wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

Please clarify. Are you saying that all Muslims are glued to the hadiths?
I'm just saying the hadith are a great body of material complementing the quran and sometimes making it clearer; they are greatly beloved of scholars... not that newly radicalized "muslims" who are generally idiots manipulated by svengalis barely more expert than themselves know a thing about hadith.
If anything, I suspect that the terrorists are too stupid to understand their value and belong to a "Quran Only" movement.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:21 pm

The hadith is a big point of conflict in the muslim world. Not all accept them.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:59 pm

And then there's contention about which collections of hadith are valid etc... but the salafi are fundies and not open to intelligent debate, they just cherry pick what they like from the Qur'an and decree everybody who disagree to be an apostate and heretic devil.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:34 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:The hadith is...
are. There are several collections of them, and not only is each a source of conflict for its interpreters, but they also conflict with each other in places.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:00 pm

Perhaps the large amount of often violent internal conflict in the muslim world is pragmatically a useful thing for the rest of the world...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:04 am

Oh, the horror.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:47 pm

Surprisingly enough, Islam has a history of being very tolerant of other religions - look at the history of the Ottoman Empire for example - much more tolerant than Christianity has proven to be historically. The history of Islamic conflicts, where ideology has been at the core of the dispute, has Islam usually on the defensive. This is true from its inception to modern times.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:58 pm

Yeah, sure, islam is very tolerant of other religions, that's how islam dominated areas became muzzy to an overwhelming majority...

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:07 am

In places like India, for example, certain empires were Islamic and aggressively expansionist as well. However, they never persecuted the resident Hindus, Jains, Christians, Jews, or Buddhists. It is true pride of place in court was given to those who held the Islamic faith, but otherwise a person of any faith was free to go about their business in society. They were not persecuted or harassed or made subject of an inquisition for their 'heretical' beliefs. In the Ottoman Empire a person of non-Islamic persuasion had only to pay the non-Islamic tax to enjoy all the benefits of citizenship in an Islamic state. This covers about 1200 years of Islamic rule. Compare that to the fate of non-Christians in Europe for the same time period and I know you won't be able to say the same.

Islam has proven itself to be more understanding and accepting of different beliefs than Christianity. That's simply a historical fact.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:19 am

Śiva wrote:In places like India, for example, certain empires were Islamic and aggressively expansionist as well. However, they never persecuted the resident Hindus, Jains, Christians, Jews, or Buddhists. It is true pride of place in court was given to those who held the Islamic faith, but otherwise a person of any faith was free to go about their business in society. They were not persecuted or harassed or made subject of an inquisition for their 'heretical' beliefs. In the Ottoman Empire a person of non-Islamic persuasion had only to pay the non-Islamic tax to enjoy all the benefits of citizenship in an Islamic state. This covers about 1200 years of Islamic rule. Compare that to the fate of non-Christians in Europe for the same time period and I know you won't be able to say the same.

Islam has proven itself to be more understanding and accepting of different beliefs than Christianity. That's simply a historical fact.
It is certainly not true in some places today, and not just in the territory of Islamic State. Consider how freely other religions are to practice their faith on most parts of the Arabian Peninsular, or in Pakistan/Afghanistan...
And my gin!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:31 am

True, but this is attributable to the rise of extremism which is a response to foreign imposition in their internal politics. 'We' invaded, killed their children in the name of Christian democracy, and now we see support for extremists who promise to restore their former way of life and exact vengeance upon those who did them harm. I don't think it's endemic to Islam; I think it is a product of an ignorant warmongering policy which both our nations, Australia and Canada, signed up for.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:19 am

Śiva wrote:True, but this is attributable to the rise of extremism which is a response to foreign imposition in their internal politics. 'We' invaded, killed their children in the name of Christian democracy, and now we see support for extremists who promise to restore their former way of life and exact vengeance upon those who did them harm. I don't think it's endemic to Islam; I think it is a product of an ignorant warmongering policy which both our nations, Australia and Canada, signed up for.
Without denying that the military actions of the West, whether justified or not, may have fanned the flames, I don't think it is the primary factor. The fundamentalists have made their belief in a religious war for religious reasons abundantly clear, and their particular delusion is the primary cause for both their utterly rigid views and their violence against anyone (including fellow muslims) who do not share their own version of islam.
And my gin!