About me: Bad breath: check
Slightly camp: check
Ghastly wife: check

Must be British.

Humanists rejoice! BBC will consult them on religion

Post by MedGen » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:08 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media ... 71065.html
Humanists rejoice! BBC will consult them on religion

For the first time, the broadcaster will take advice on programmes like 'Thought for the Day' from a secularist

By Emily Dugan

Sunday, 19 April 2009

Religious broadcasting has taken an unexpected turn at the BBC, leaving secularists last night claiming a breakthrough. An important new committee that the corporation will consult on religious broadcasting is to include a humanist.

The move, which some see as a potential threat to the future of slots such as Thought for the Day, will see groups representing secular beliefs offering advice and suggestions to the broadcaster. The move is a significant shift for the corporation, and follows a series of recent victories for secularists in public life, including a legal ruling in favour of the so-called atheist bus, the addition of humanism to a GCSE religious studies syllabus, and the launch of the first major national student secular society.

Andrew Copson, director of education and public affairs for the British Humanist Association, has been appointed to the BBC's Standing Conference on Religion and Belief, a new body which replaces the Central Religious Advisory Committee (Crac), which advised on "religion-related policy and coverage".

Mr Copson suggested his appointment may give him the chance to challenge the long fought over Radio 4 religious slot, Thought for the Day. "We need to see an increased contribution from humanists in slots run by the religion and ethics department that are presently confined only to religions," he said.

The new body, which will meet with senior BBC officials several times a year, gathers for the first time on Wednesday. Unlike Crac, which was closed by the BBC Trust at the end of 2007, the Standing Conference on Religion and Belief will be independent from the broadcaster, but it will continue to have the same chairman, Bishop Graham James, at its head.

The BBC played down the significance of the inclusion, concerned that it would alarm religious groups. Despite this, the chief executive of the British Humanist Association, Hanne Stinson, heralded Mr Copson's appointment as a "great step". "Until now humanists have been excluded from any consultative or advisory role in relation to the BBC on a level with religious groups and representatives," Ms Stinson said. "In an open society, those of religious and non-religious beliefs should have a fair input on matters that concern them and the inclusion of humanist representation is a great step towards this."

The philosopher A C Grayling said the news was "incredible", and signified the culmination of a series of successes for secularists. "I would say in recent months we've seen a real change. There have been cracks in the ice over the last few years, but bits of Antarctica are finally floating free now. When you think of the great institution of the BBC finally conceding that a whole viewpoint needs to be heard, that's pretty incredible.

"At long last, here is one token of acceptance that the traditional way of thinking about matters of the spirit and matters of the mind needs to be rethought."

According to Ofcom, the broadcasting regulator, 6 per cent of viewers watch religious programmes on the main TV channels – the lowest proportion of any programme genre. A recent poll found that more than a third of Britons did not feel they belonged to a religion at all.
Good to see that the Beeb is finally taking notice of the world around them, and making an attempt to be as representative as possible. Still along way to go obviously, but its a promising start.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

If having an identity is to have an essence, I do not have an identity. My sense of self it too varied and contextual - Kenneth Strike

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: Humanists rejoice! BBC will consult them on religion

Post by klr » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:17 am

:cheers:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:22 am

Yay!
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:28 am

Yessssssssssss! :woot:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:30 am

Meh.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

CJ

Post by CJ » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:33 am

Result!!! :woot: :woot:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:36 am

This annoys me.
By having atheists on a programme dedicated to religion you're only making atheism seem like a religion too.
Why do some atheists feel the need to muscle in on all things religious like those assholes putting atheist signs beside nativity scenes?
It's dumb.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

CJ

Post by CJ » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:44 am

Animavore wrote:This annoys me.
By having atheists on a programme dedicated to religion you're only making atheism seem like a religion too.
Why do some atheists feel the need to muscle in on all things religious like those assholes putting atheist signs beside nativity scenes?
It's dumb.
It bloody well isn't dumb at all. This is about rolling back the privileged position religion has held in society for far too long. 'Thought for the Day' is about an ethical or moral ideal that people might consider a good thing to do. Belief in God does not give one a morally or ethically privileged position they have bullied their way into that position over the centuries and it's about time they got shown in no uncertainty that do not have a monopoly on leading moral and ethical thought. Fuck 'um they can fight on an even playing field for the first time in history in see how they like it!
Last edited by CJ on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: cont speel

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Consultation is a start ... :coffee:

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:06 pm

It's a step forward. :tup:

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:10 pm

I wonder... If we, rationalia, as a group, were asked to decide on political or social issues, such as taxes, funding, abortion, international relations, prisons, etc... Would we all give the same answers? The political compass compatibility makes me think yes, but surely, there must be some discrepancies somewhere.
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:22 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:I wonder... If we, rationalia, as a group, were asked to decide on political or social issues, such as taxes, funding, abortion, international relations, prisons, etc... Would we all give the same answers? The political compass compatibility makes me think yes, but surely, there must be some discrepancies somewhere.
It would be interesting to find out ... I thought we might start a few more threads based on the statements in that questionaire to discuss them, as I did with the statement about culture and civilisation etc ... Your topic suggestions would interest me, too.

I like chatting with you people about our views ... we seem to manage at minimum a relatively good level of respect toward each other, and we can articulate our ideas really well while being reasonably fair in considering new or differing opinions.

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Charlou wrote:
FrigidSymphony wrote:I wonder... If we, rationalia, as a group, were asked to decide on political or social issues, such as taxes, funding, abortion, international relations, prisons, etc... Would we all give the same answers? The political compass compatibility makes me think yes, but surely, there must be some discrepancies somewhere.
It would be interesting to find out ... I thought we might start a few more threads based on the statements in that questionaire to discuss them, as I did with the statement about culture and civilisation etc ... Your topic suggestions would interest me, too.

I like chatting with you people about our views ... we seem to manage at minimum a relatively good level of respect toward each other, and we can articulate our ideas really well while being reasonably fair in considering new or differing opinions.
Talk, good :)

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:21 pm

Cooltastic.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:39 pm

I must admit to a little bit of :dono: but I suppose it is progress.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur