"The butt of global jokes": who might this be? (Talk Trump)

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: "The butt of global jokes": who might this be? (Talk Trump)

Post by Animavore » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Looks like Trump's cowardice is rubbing off on the media. No comedian at next year's correspondence dinner.

https://www.indy100.com/article/donald- ... 1542798293

Sick burn by Michelle Wolf though.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:22 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:26 am
It's not illegal for the president to ask about using the law enforcement power of the federal government for his own personal vendettas!
Anonymous sources == #FAKENEWS?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:16 pm

‘Never seen things this bad’: Soy farmers fume as their crops rot in storage thanks to Trump’s trade 
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/never- ... NPbGiYWKco

Struggling to find sympathy for people who voted for a piece of shit, knowing he was a piece of shit, but voted for him anyway.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:37 pm

The difference.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:18 pm

"There's nobody bigger or better at the military than I am." —Donald J. Trump
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:24 pm

:?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:21 am

A US court (9th Circuit Court of Appeals, in San Francisco) correctly applies the law, striking down an executive order that contravenes both international law (to which the US is a signatory) and US law. Trump throws a tantrum.

According to the US Constitution, treaties to which the US is a signatory are, along with the Constitution itself and federal law, the supreme law of the land. Trump doesn't care about that, and claims that the ruling was made by 'an Obama judge,' which apparently means that he's entitled to 'put in a major complaint.'

The Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court defends the judge, and Trump gives him an earful as well.

'In rare rebuke, Chief Justice Roberts slams Trump for comment about "Obama judge"'
In a highly unusual public statement, Chief Justice John Roberts rebutted President Donald Trump's statement that a ruling against the administration was made by "an Obama judge."

Asked Wednesday by the Associated Press about the president's comment, Roberts responded, "We do not have Obama judges or Trump judges, Bush judges or Clinton judges. What we have is an extraordinary group of dedicated judges doing their level best to do equal right to those appearing before them."

He added on the day before Thanksgiving that an "independent judiciary is something we should all be thankful for."

It's the first time the Republican-appointed leader of the federal judiciary has offered even a hint of criticism of Trump, who has previously blasted federal judges who ruled against him.

The president responded several hours later in a string of tweets, claiming there are, in fact, "Obama judges" and attacking the Ninth Circuit court.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:17 am

This suggests that Trump thinks that the a President takes possession and/or is entitled to direct both judges and the law. He already thinks that a President has exclusive ownership of truth, that the truth and facts are whatever the President says they are, so it's hardly surprising he'd attach a similar assumption to the courts.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:34 am

He really is totally clueless about the concept of democracy and its principles.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:50 am

He really is a piece of shit.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:59 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:17 am
This suggests that Trump thinks that the a President takes possession and/or is entitled to direct both judges and the law. He already thinks that a President has exclusive ownership of truth, that the truth and facts are whatever the President says they are, so it's hardly surprising he'd attach a similar assumption to the courts.
It does seem that Trump thinks like that. He previously said, "I have absolute right to do what I want to do with the Justice Department," and appears to consider it a personal insult whenever a judge rules in a way that he disagrees with. I think that only a full on Trumpophant could fail to see that Trump genuinely desires to be like the dictatorial characters he admires so much. I'm Not Particularly Concerned if certain louts think it's cool to ridicule people who do see that.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:09 am

Interesting nugget I came across from two years ago.
A Saudi Arabian journalist and commentator has been banned by his country for criticising US President-elect Donald Trump.

Jamal Khashoggi has been banned from writing in newspapers, making TV appearances and attending conferences, Middle East Eye reports.

After Mr Khashoggi criticised Mr Trump's Middle East policies at a Washington think-tank on 10 November, an official Saudi spokesman said he did not represent the Kingdom in a statement to the Saudi Press Agency.

Speaking at the Washington Institute, Mr Khashoggi described Mr Trump's stance on the Middle East as "contradictory", BreakingEnergy.com reported.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... AkMiiJuiVg

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:19 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:22 pm
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:26 am
It's not illegal for the president to ask about using the law enforcement power of the federal government for his own personal vendettas!
Anonymous sources == #FAKENEWS?
Certainly. More of the same (my bold):

'House Intelligence Panel Hiring Money-Laundering Sleuths'
The House intelligence committee's incoming Democratic majority is taking its first steps to follow Donald Trump's money, The Daily Beast has learned.

The committee is looking to hire money-laundering and forensic accounting experts, three sources familiar with the plans confirm to The Daily Beast. One Democratic committee office said the purpose of the potential new hires is to examine unanswered financial questions about Trump and Russia, but their work could apply broadly across the panel’s intelligence oversight.

This indicates that likely chairman Adam Schiff’s stated interest in the intersection of financial crimes and intelligence threats isn’t just talk.

Schiff, a California Democrat, has said publicly and privately that he’s interested in President Donald Trump’s relationship with Deutsche Bank, the German financial giant that has been scorched for its connections to money-laundering. When other lenders were loath to lend money to Trump in the 1990s, Deutsche Bank stepped up and spotted him tons of cash. The president may still owe the bank up to $175 million, according to MarketWatch. Bringing on staffers with expertise in financial crimes would position the committee to pursue those questions.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re:

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:07 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:34 am
He really is totally clueless about the concept of democracy and its principles.
Democracy does not exist in the USA. Just a notion of constitution.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".