FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: British Army shooting live pigs

Post by FBM » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:The Brits should use pigs as live rounds. Shoot pigs at the enemy. They'd either die of the stink, or stop fighting and fry it up and eat it.
You'd need a large boar cannon for that.
:clap:^ I missed that one, though I looked for a nice pun. Stop hogging the wit.
I would like to join in your gesture of appreciation for that uncommonly fine contribution. :clap: :clap: It was shoat, but sweet.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

HomerJay

Post by HomerJay » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:37 am

JimC wrote:Are they anaesthetised first?
It does say so in the article. :hehe:

I imagine it might be difficult to put the bullet where you want it otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War
On June 15, 1859, exactly thirteen years after the adoption of the Oregon Treaty, the ambiguity led to direct conflict. Lyman Cutlar, an American farmer who had moved onto the island claiming rights to live there under the Donation Land Claim Act, found a large black pig rooting in his garden. He had found the pig eating his tubers. This was not the first occurrence. Cutlar was so upset that he took aim and shot the pig, killing it. It turned out that the pig was owned by an Irishman, Charles Griffin, who was employed by the Hudson's Bay Company to run the sheep ranch. He also owned several pigs which he allowed to roam freely. The two had lived in peace until this incident. Cutlar offered $10 to Griffin to compensate for the pig, but Griffin was unsatisfied with this offer and demanded $100. Following this reply, Cutlar believed he should not have to pay for the pig because the pig had been trespassing on his land. (A possibly apocryphal story claims Cutlar said to Griffin, "It was eating my potatoes." Griffin replied, "It is up to you to keep your potatoes out of my pig.") When British authorities threatened to arrest Cutlar, American settlers called for military protection.

Military escalation

Brigadier-General William S. Harney, commanding the Dept. of Oregon, initially dispatched 66 American soldiers of the 9th Infantry under the command of Captain George Pickett to San Juan Island with orders to prevent the British from landing. Concerned that a squatter population of Americans would begin to occupy San Juan Island if the Americans were not kept in check, the British sent three warships under the command of Captain Geoffrey Hornby to counter the Americans. Pickett was famously quoted as saying defiantly, "We'll make a Bunker Hill of it," placing him in the national limelight. The situation continued to escalate. By August 10, 1859, 461 Americans with 14 cannon under Colonel Silas Casey were opposed by five British warships mounting 70 guns and carrying 2,140 men. During this time, no shots were fired.

The governor of the Colony of Vancouver Island, James Douglas, ordered British Rear Admiral Robert L. Baynes to land marines on San Juan Island and engage the American soldiers under the command of Brigadier-General Harney. (Harney's forces had occupied the island since July 27, 1859.) Baynes refused, deciding that "two great nations in a war over a squabble about a pig" was foolish. Local commanding officers on both sides had been given essentially the same orders: defend yourselves, but absolutely do not fire the first shot. For several days, the British and U.S. soldiers exchanged insults, each side attempting to goad the other into firing the first shot, but discipline held on both sides, and thus no shots were fired.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:05 am

Well, in that case, I have no ethical objections to the process...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:08 am

Really?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:13 am

rEvolutionist wrote:Really?
Well, they're not inflicting any pain on an anaesthetised pig... We kill animals for food, which I'm OK with, as long as it's done humanely (stunning and/or lightening fast)

Training battlefield doctors is not an unreasonable objective - no worse than providing the populace with bacon...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:25 am

I think it's way worse. Food is food. Medical research is arguably justifiable, although, not with highly intelligent animals (and rightly so). If these fucks want practice, then send them out with the paramedics on any weekend night in their nearest capital city.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:36 am

rEvolutionist wrote:I think it's way worse. Food is food. Medical research is arguably justifiable, although, not with highly intelligent animals (and rightly so). If these fucks want practice, then send them out with the paramedics on any weekend night in their nearest capital city.
I think this is inconsistent ethics.

Killing is killing. Doing so without a purpose, so simply for fun, is one thing. Doing so for a purpose is another. You may disagree with the particular purpose in the case of battlefield surgical practice; a vegetarian will disagree with the food-based purpose you are happy with...

And these are British soldiers - not many human gun-shot victims to practice on with the paramedics...

Now if it were American medics we were talking about, you may have a better argument... :biggrin:
And my gin!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:39 am

I'm OK with it so long as the pigs are buried with full military honours.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 am

JimC wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:I think it's way worse. Food is food. Medical research is arguably justifiable, although, not with highly intelligent animals (and rightly so). If these fucks want practice, then send them out with the paramedics on any weekend night in their nearest capital city.
I think this is inconsistent ethics.

Killing is killing. Doing so without a purpose, so simply for fun, is one thing. Doing so for a purpose is another. You may disagree with the particular purpose in the case of battlefield surgical practice; a vegetarian will disagree with the food-based purpose you are happy with...

And these are British soldiers - not many human gun-shot victims to practice on with the paramedics...

Now if it were American medics we were talking about, you may have a better argument... :biggrin:
I suspected you might say that. Seriously, send them to the US to train. Killing sentient animals for the purposes of enabling war is easily far more unethical than killing them for food.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:54 am

Years ago, I saw some video from the 50's (or so) in which researchers were burning live, non-anesthetized pigs with flamethrowers in order to study battlefield wound management. I wanted to turn the flamethrowers on the researchers. There's no reason why they couldn't have at least anesthetized the animals throughout the whole thing. :nono:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:06 am

Wars will happen, some with more justification than others. Either way, I would want army medics in my country to be as proficient as they possibly could be at saving lives (which in many humanitarian missions, will also involve injured civilians)

Basically, once I agree to the humane killing of animals for food, I will extend this agreement to any other serious purpose (medical experimentation on live animals goes way beyond "humane killing", so I'm not including that). It must, however, involve no (or very minimal) pain or distress, otherwise the ethical equation changes...

Here, in essence, I think you are really objecting to activities which support warfare in any way, rather than specifically killing pigs.
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:30 am

It doesn't have to be specific to war and specific to pigs. It's an ethical question that applies to all sorts of animals and all sorts of uses for them. In my opinion, it crosses the line from ethical to unethical. The fact it is enabling war activities, and is centred upon a higher intelligence animal tips the scales. To be honest, I've often found myself questioning whether it is ethical at all to eat pigs. Basically from the intelligence angle. If they are highly intelligent and possess consciousness, then you've got to question whether it is right to be raising them to later kill. I kind of placate these feelings with the reality that I only eat pork once every two or three weeks. So I'm probably only responsible for the death of a pig every few years or so. :shifty:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:47 am

rEvolutionist wrote:If they are highly intelligent and possess consciousness, then you've got to question whether it is right to be raising them to later kill. I kind of placate these feelings with the reality that I only eat pork once every two or three weeks. So I'm probably only responsible for the death of a pig every few years or so. :shifty:
The obvious solution is to breed intelligent and conscious pigs that really, really want to be eaten. This is not my original idea. Douglas Adams proposed it almost 40 years ago.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:22 am

Do we breed people that want to be shot?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:33 am

rainbow wrote:Do we breed people that want to be shot?
There's a lot of wageslaves waiting for their chance.... :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?