Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Post by Forty Two » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:15 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:Since the current thread on this topic has gone over 1000 posts, which appears to be the limit set by the management of this site, I'm re-posting my most recent entry here.

(Twitter post with link to) 'U.S. Prosecutors Consider Charging Russian Officials in DNC Hacking Case'

After all, the US Department of Justice is just crawling with people motivated by an anti-Trump agenda, so they're almost certainly talking through their hats when they say that they've identified Russian govenment individuals responsible for for the hacking the DNC, and have enough evidence to consider mounting prosecutions. Also, since this information came from anonymous sources we should really just ignore it because reasons.
Well, some have an anti-Trump agenda, as per the FBI Agents, Strzos and Page, in their little wing-ding affair talking about how Hillary just has to win, and that it was their mission and obligation to make sure Trump loses. That's fairly antitrump, and they haven't been fired. They just had new news out there about newly discovered texts where those two were supplying a memo to Comey so Comey could report to Obama, because "POTUS wants to know everything we're doing..." on the investigations.

Anyway - in the article, who is "they?" You mean the "according to people familiar with the investigation?" Do we need to again clarify who can be person "familiar" with the investigation? That's not necessarily someone involved in the investigation, or a decision maker, or someone who even knows the details of what information has been found. This is just someone who has familiarity with the investigation. So, someone familiar with the investigation says they have identified six potential Russians. That was four months ago now. Clock's ticking. How long before they indict?

Obviously, this may be dead bang accurate. We don't know. We don't know how the reporter knows. We don't know who he talked to, what their motive was, what the extent of their knowledge was. It's just "trust me, someone said that they know some suspects and might prosecute." Then most of the article relates to other issues.

So, fake news? Can't go that far. But, it's a weak-ass article, that's for sure. Doesn't tell us anything.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:51 pm

:yawn: It's a news report, not an encyclopedia entry.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:00 pm

Brian Peacock wrote::yawn: It's a news report, not an encyclopedia entry.
Indeed, and a news report, if it's not shit, will have it's sources, except in the rare cases where there are significant issues involved and significant reasons why a source would need anonymity.

Why would anyone who is merely "familiar with the investigation" need anonymity here?

And, the basic rules of journalism include explaining why the source needs anonymity and as clearly as possible explaining in general terms what department he or she works in and how the anonymous source knows what they say they know.

That article could have just been "Anonymous sources who are familiar with the investigation say that the people undertaking the investigation may have identified six Russian suspects in hacking the DNC, but we don't know what the evidence is or how likely it is that anyone will indict anyone, or why, and we're just going by anonymous source who may or may not really understand the status of the matter." Thanks, man. Thanks. LOL.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Forty Two wrote:...

Why would anyone who is merely "familiar with the investigation" need anonymity here?

Because they asked for it as a condition of their 'off the record', as they say, input?

It's a simple matter to imply that news articles that cite unnamed sources are indistinguishable from a fabricated fiction, but what's the rational alternatve to reporting unnamed sources? And the time spent on delegitimising unnamed sources is obviously proportional to the time spent avoiding the implications of the report.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:31 pm

Forty Two wrote:Well, some have an anti-Trump agenda, as per the FBI Agents, Strzos and Page, in their little wing-ding affair talking about how Hillary just has to win, and that it was their mission and obligation to make sure Trump loses. That's fairly antitrump, and they haven't been fired. They just had new news out there about newly discovered texts where those two were supplying a memo to Comey so Comey could report to Obama, because "POTUS wants to know everything we're doing..." on the investigations.
Do you think they should have been fired, Forty Two? If so, what policy of the FBI do you think they violated?
Forty Two wrote:So, fake news? Can't go that far. But, it's a weak-ass article, that's for sure. Doesn't tell us anything.
It doesn't tell you anything you want to hear, so you find excuses to dimiss the information it contains.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:48 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:Why would Russia care what Tillerson says? Trump has refused to implement the sanctions in response to election meddling that were voted in by Congress by a very large margin, so Tillerson's threat of 'consequences' is rather hollow.

'Russians already meddling in US midterms, Tillerson says'
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Tuesday warned the United States is ill-prepared to prevent Russian interference in the upcoming midterms, as it was in the 2016 general election.

“I don't know that I would say we are better prepared, because the Russians will adapt as well,” Tillerson said in an exclusive interview with Fox News in Bogota, Colombia. “The point is, if it's their intention to interfere, they are going to find ways to do that. We can take steps we can take but this is something that, once they decide they are going to do it, it's very difficult to preempt it.”

Russia is already attempting to interfere “in the U.S. in 2018” ahead of congressional midterm elections as it did in the 2016 general election, he said.

“I think it's important we just continue to say to Russia, ‘Look, you think we don't see what you're doing. We do see it and you need to stop. If you don't, you're going to just continue to invite consequences for yourself,’” said Tillerson.
Seems to me like the administration doesn't have a policy on Russia, that Tillerson is having to carve out a policy and a position on the fly, knowing that at any time Trump can simply undermine him and the US position with a single 2am tweet.

Frank Zappa

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:...

Because they asked for it as a condition of their 'off the record', as they say, input?

I've previously demonstrated, with posting sources, such as New York Times' journalistic ethics policy on anonymous sources that the mere request for anonymity is insufficient to justify granting anonymity. There are too many reasons and motives have for reporting things to the media. One thing done often is to float trial balloons for policies and narratives, and use the media as propaganda and publicity. Absent a significant need on an important issue that cannot be reported without it, anonymity should not be granted. It's the exception, not the rule.
Brian Peacock wrote: It's a simple matter to imply that news articles that cite unnamed sources are indistinguishable from a fabricated fiction, but what's the rational alternatve to reporting unnamed sources? And the time spent on delegitimising unnamed sources is obviously proportional to the time spent avoiding the implications of the report.
I have not implied that. I have merely identified that there is no substance to this article. When one looks at what the author actually says, he knows nothing. He has gathered no actual facts that have been reported. Someone who's level of access and personal knowledge is completely unknown says that he thinks that attorneys in the DOJ have identified six possible suspects who may, or may not, be indicted, on issues related to hacking of the DNC. We don't know anything as to who, what, where, when, why or how -- nothing. It's not even a story.

The rational alternative is to follow the well-thought-out journalistic ethics policies of major news outlets concerning the US of anonymous sources. https://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... ic-editor/

There are no "implications" of this report. It's an article that says someone who doesn't really "know" thinks that other people who do know the facts "might" have identified some suspects who "might" be prosecuted. No other facts are known, and even the facts that were reported were not known. It's reporting mere hearsay.

The amazing thing is how regularly the articles about Trump have no named sources. It's not the exception. It's the rule.
"Anonymous sources are withdrawals against the bank balance built up by more transparent practices in modern journalism."
News accounts that rely on confidential sources do not contain within themselves the information required for us to trust them. By definition we cannot "go to the source" because the source is hidden. If we extend our trust to such reports, we do so because of reputation: the reporter's reputation, or more often the news brand's.
That term, "officials said" is relatively hard to trust. We can't go to those people and ask: did you really say that? We can't decide how credible they are, and act accordingly. Instead we have to trust the Washington Post, which gave us this report, and its reporters. It might be rational to do so, but it's also subtractive. We are drawing on reserves of trust built up by previous acts of journalism that told us the Post could be trusted. Some acts of reporting add to the bank account, others draw upon reserves of trust. To put it another way, when trust is the currency, stories that depend on anonymous sources are expensive.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/18/politics ... index.html

Here is the Washington Post's Policy - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00849.html

One of the purposes, it says, is if you have to use a confidential source, it's supposed to be because you will get a fuller, better information than if the source was named. Did we get ANY information in the article about the possible prosecutions? Someone "familiar" with an investigation (no details as to what he knows about it, or how he's involved) says that other people (we don't know what their role is either) may have identified suspect hackers and may or may not prosecute. No other details. So, that's the pay-off received for the expense of an anonymous source.

What's the risk? Whoever is reporting this may have a reason to want the idea spread that there have been Russian hackers identified and they are about to be prosecuted. There is clearly a conceivable political motive that might exist. And there is a risk that the source was taken for a ride himself, and was given false info. Or, there is a risk that the source just heard wrong. Or, there is a risk that the source heard it right, but the reporter misunderstood what the source was saying.

There were reports of Adam Schiff serving as an unnamed source and "leaking" info. If theinfo came from him, would it be important to know that? He's familiar with the investigation, isn't he? http://thefederalist.com/2017/12/08/18- ... fake-news/

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
L'Emmerdeur wrote:Why would Russia care what Tillerson says? Trump has refused to implement the sanctions in response to election meddling that were voted in by Congress by a very large margin, so Tillerson's threat of 'consequences' is rather hollow.

'Russians already meddling in US midterms, Tillerson says'
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Tuesday warned the United States is ill-prepared to prevent Russian interference in the upcoming midterms, as it was in the 2016 general election.

“I don't know that I would say we are better prepared, because the Russians will adapt as well,” Tillerson said in an exclusive interview with Fox News in Bogota, Colombia. “The point is, if it's their intention to interfere, they are going to find ways to do that. We can take steps we can take but this is something that, once they decide they are going to do it, it's very difficult to preempt it.”

Russia is already attempting to interfere “in the U.S. in 2018” ahead of congressional midterm elections as it did in the 2016 general election, he said.

“I think it's important we just continue to say to Russia, ‘Look, you think we don't see what you're doing. We do see it and you need to stop. If you don't, you're going to just continue to invite consequences for yourself,’” said Tillerson.
Seems to me like the administration doesn't have a policy on Russia, that Tillerson is having to carve out a policy and a position on the fly, knowing that at any time Trump can simply undermine him and the US position with a single 2am tweet.
Tillerson is part of the administration, so the policies are the administration's policies. Not much difference between Trump's policies and Obama's regarding Russia -
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/artic ... -obama-ria

What did Obama's policy on Russia seem like to you?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Well, some have an anti-Trump agenda, as per the FBI Agents, Strzos and Page, in their little wing-ding affair talking about how Hillary just has to win, and that it was their mission and obligation to make sure Trump loses. That's fairly antitrump, and they haven't been fired. They just had new news out there about newly discovered texts where those two were supplying a memo to Comey so Comey could report to Obama, because "POTUS wants to know everything we're doing..." on the investigations.
Do you think they should have been fired, Forty Two? If so, what policy of the FBI do you think they violated?
The point was only that they are rabidly anti-Trump. I don't know if they did anything that's a terminable offense. They sure seemed to be allowing their political preferences impact their jobs, at least based on the texts. But, any investigation in that regard would need more investigation.
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Forty Two wrote:So, fake news? Can't go that far. But, it's a weak-ass article, that's for sure. Doesn't tell us anything.
It doesn't tell you anything you want to hear, so you find excuses to dimiss the information it contains.
It contains no information. Someone who, based on the description, does not have personal knowledge of the facts being reported tells the reporter something vague (they may have identified person, who may or may not be prosecuted). What's the import of that? Do we even know from the information in the article whether that's true? How can we? The reporter is talking to someone who may not be in a position to know.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 am

Forty Two wrote:
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
It contains no information. Someone who, based on the description, does not have personal knowledge of the facts being reported..
It says nothing of the sort. Stop with your bullshit rhetoric.
tells the reporter something vague (they may have identified person, who may or may not be prosecuted).
What is with you and honesty?? They have definitively identified 6 people.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:44 am

Despite a months old article cited here pooh-poohing the reported hacking attempts of state electoral systems (in which the dreaded anonymous sources stated in no uncertain terms that said hacking took place) it appears that previous reports were accurate.

'Russians penetrated U.S. voter systems, says top U.S. official'
The U.S. official in charge of protecting American elections from hacking says the Russians successfully penetrated the voter registration rolls of several U.S. states prior to the 2016 presidential election.

In an exclusive interview with NBC News, Jeanette Manfra, the head of cybersecurity at the Department of Homeland Security, said she couldn't talk about classified information publicly, but in 2016, "We saw a targeting of 21 states and an exceptionally small number of them were actually successfully penetrated."

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 am

Forty Two wrote:
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
The point was only that they are rabidly anti-Trump. I don't know if they did anything that's a terminable offense. They sure seemed to be allowing their political preferences impact their jobs, at least based on the texts. But, any investigation in that regard would need more investigation.
Then why did you mention them being fired? Do you think they should have been fired?
Forty Two wrote:
L'Emmerdeur wrote:It doesn't tell you anything you want to hear, so you find excuses to dismiss the information it contains.
It contains no information. Someone who, based on the description, does not have personal knowledge of the facts being reported tells the reporter something vague (they may have identified person, who may or may not be prosecuted). What's the import of that? Do we even know from the information in the article whether that's true? How can we? The reporter is talking to someone who may not be in a position to know.
So you acknowledge that in that article you learned of possible indictments of Russian government figures responsible for hacking the DNC. You choose to dismiss that information because you don't accept that the Russians hacked the DNC despite private experts and government intelligence agencies stating unequivocally that it happened, and because you don't like it when reporters use anonymous sources.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 am

Aye L'Emmy, but people with political opinions can never be trusted to be impartial nor can they be expected to be diligent and conscientious in the discharging of their responsibilities - because they're always looking to manipulate situations to make difficulties in the lives of those whom they oppose. People like Steele and the canoodling FBI agents don't arrive at opinions about the suitability of a presidential candidate for office - those opinions are stamped on them at birth, and everything they do is mired by their cultist Democrat ideology and undertaken in pursuance of their cultist Democrat agendas. These treasonous Democrat traitors are what's really damaging America today. They should be rooted out, exposed, vilified, shunned, arrested, prosecuted, strung up and flayed as an example to all those who would oppose the common good of real, true Americans such as Donald J Trump, his family, friends and supporters. To oppose the nation's glorious leader is quite simply to oppose American values, to oppose American interests, and to oppose the American people.

:tea:

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:Despite a months old article cited here pooh-poohing the reported hacking attempts of state electoral systems (in which the dreaded anonymous sources stated in no uncertain terms that said hacking took place) it appears that previous reports were accurate.

'Russians penetrated U.S. voter systems, says top U.S. official'
The U.S. official in charge of protecting American elections from hacking says the Russians successfully penetrated the voter registration rolls of several U.S. states prior to the 2016 presidential election.

In an exclusive interview with NBC News, Jeanette Manfra, the head of cybersecurity at the Department of Homeland Security, said she couldn't talk about classified information publicly, but in 2016, "We saw a targeting of 21 states and an exceptionally small number of them were actually successfully penetrated."

Anonymous sources were saying this 6 months ago.. :tea:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 am

Big Russian delegation anticipated for prayer breakfast in Washington
By Tim Lister, Mary Ilyushina and Frederik Pleitgen, CNN

A. Larry Ross, a spokesman at the Fellowship Foundation, told CNN, "I can confirm that this year, the Breakfast will be attended by more than 3,800 individuals representing over 130 countries and territories around the world. Approximately 55 are coming from Russia, including a group of 35 young professionals -- millennial doctors, lawyers and business leaders in their 20s and 30s -- invited out of a context of relationship and faith."