Australia: Government censorship legislation blocked

Sparticle

Re: Australia: Government censorship legislation blocked

Post by Sparticle » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:42 am

I'd be thrilled to bits if you posted my post somewhere else Charlou :oops:

I'm not the most tech-savvy person around but I know what I know and what I know is this whole thing's rotten to the core. And the more people who realise that, the better.

So post away! :cheers:
Don't misunderestimate me. No, seriously, don't.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:49 am

Thank you, and done. :cheers:
no fences

Sparticle

Post by Sparticle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:04 am

A very disturbing article from newmatilda.com:
http://newmatilda.com/2009/03/23/not-club-we-want-join

A public forum on the issue will be in Brisbane tomorrow night:
http://newmatilda.com/2009/03/23/tangled-web

The whole thing just makes me want to cry. How can our young country be going down this path? I'm also tiring of being branded either a tinfoil hat loony or an "extreme libertarian". :dono:

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:51 am

There are people only hearing about it for the first time now... it aggrevates the shit out of me.
Worse yet, what can I do? I tell people about it but so little even care.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Sparticle

Post by Sparticle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:54 pm

born-again-atheist wrote:There are people only hearing about it for the first time now... it aggrevates the shit out of me.
Worse yet, what can I do? I tell people about it but so little even care.
I know what you mean :( They'll start to care when they can't access a stack of sites any more and their internet speed drops hugely though.

On a positive note, there's two TV shows coming up which will make for interesting viewing. Tell as many people as you can about them and maybe they'll learn a thing or two about it:

1. Q&A - ABC 9.30 pm this Thursday. Apparently Senator Stephen Conroy will be on the panel (although he's been sighted less than Elvis on the issue and I seriously doubt if he'll show up) and the ABC called for questions during the week. I know of at least one Whirlpool-connected person who has been asked to tape their question for the Senator (and it'll be a good one, I have no doubt).

2. Insight - SBS next Tuesday, 7.30 pm. Poster Boy for the Anti Filter Crowd and Long-time Conroy nemesis on the issue, Mark Newton, will be on. Mr Sparticle was also asked to participate in this show but he declined. He's sick of talking about it on one hand, but it's mainly because he's not a natural public speaker and it takes him a while to formulate a response to questions, so he figured he wouldn't do very well on such a show. Which is fair enough, he's done a mighty job of highlighting the issue to date.

Since the mainstream print media seems determined to keep it right out of view (other than the occasional grubby little ill-informed piece such as appeared in yesterday's Herald Sun "In Brief"), it's up to good old talking about it with/to others, emails and virally on the internet.

BAA, I reckon you'd be interested in the Whirlpool discussion on the topic. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 167474&p=9 - it moves very fast but there's some amazingly smart and switched-on people there and I've learned a huge amount since I've joined the discussion. Be warned though, they're very heavy with moderation and staying on-topic, which is fair enough, and if you can deal with that, you'll be right. :cheers:

JesusLovesYou

Post by JesusLovesYou » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Sparticle,

Have you ever stopped to think that your fellow countrymen's attacks on your freedoms and your terrible fires, shark attacks, snake attacks, not to mention the death of Steve Irwin, could all be due to God's wrath? Your country is increasingly Godless. As goes God there goes your freedoms and well-being.

Sparticle

Post by Sparticle » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:57 pm

JesusLovesYou wrote:Sparticle,

Have you ever stopped to think that your fellow countrymen's attacks on your freedoms and your terrible fires, shark attacks, snake attacks, not to mention the death of Steve Irwin, could all be due to God's wrath? Your country is increasingly Godless. As goes God there goes your freedoms and well-being.
Put a sock in it JLY :lol:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:52 am

Sparticle wrote:

Put a sock into a sock? ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Sparticle

Post by Sparticle » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:26 am

Seraph wrote:
Sparticle wrote:

Put a sock into a sock? ;)
Yes, that's what I was aiming for this morning - just wasn't sure whether it should be "on" or "in" :think: :mrgreen: