Republicans: continued

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 26, 2024 8:36 am

How?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun May 26, 2024 11:12 am

They only invited him for entertainment. Cheap Libertarian convention budget.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon May 27, 2024 6:47 pm

Trump was not Trump's fault! he was inevitable.
From the most successful Republican political operative of his generation, a searing, unflinching, and deeply personal exposé of how his party became what it is today

Stuart Stevens spent decades electing Republicans at every level, from presidents to senators to local officials. He knows the GOP as intimately as anyone in America, and in this new book he offers a devastating portrait of a party that has lost its moral and political compass.

This is not a book about how Donald J. Trump hijacked the Republican Party and changed it into something else. Stevens shows how Trump is in fact the natural outcome of five decades of hypocrisy and self-delusion, dating all the way back to the civil rights legislation of the early 1960s. Stevens shows how racism has always lurked in the modern GOP's DNA, from Goldwater's opposition to desegregation to Ronald Reagan's welfare queens and states' rights rhetoric. He gives an insider's account of the rank hypocrisy of the party's claims to embody "family values," and shows how the party's vaunted commitment to fiscal responsibility has been a charade since the 1980s. When a party stands for nothing, he argues, it is only natural that it will be taken over by the loudest and angriest voices in the room.

It Was All a Lie is not just an indictment of the Republican Party, but a candid and often lacerating mea culpa. Stevens is not asking for pity or forgiveness; he is simply telling us what he has seen firsthand.
It Was All a Lie: How the Republican Party Became Donald Trump Hardcover – August 4, 2020
by Stuart Stevens (Author)

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue May 28, 2024 2:19 am

started reading -
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue May 28, 2024 12:18 pm

Ah. There was a plan!
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I think it's more that people think Trump will tear down the SystemTM , and then the US is naturally reset to its Original System, as created by the Infallible Founders.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue May 28, 2024 1:40 pm

:lol: They loved the system when it served their interests. The crazy part is it still does in every way except one, it’s not necessarily explicitly christian now. That’s it.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:54 am

Democrat beating Boebert in district thatvis dtill MAGA
But McCorkle, one of three Democrats vying for the seat and a former Marine, leads Boebert 41 percent to 27 percent in the poll, with 33 percent undecided. In contrast, Donald Trump leads Joe Biden 45 to 35 percent in the 4th district, with independent candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. getting 6 percent and 14 percent undecided.

https://newrepublic.com/post/182072/lau ... -grim-poll

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:23 pm

https://www.threads.net/@johnlcorbett/p ... _LfHCbaIjg

Pipe Down!’ Megyn Kelly Tears Into Biden, Tells Him to ‘Shut Up’ About Hunter’s Trial

Megyn Kelly: President Biden saying “I have boundless love for my son” is jury tampering.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:23 pm

It's amazing the Repugs paint Biden as being incompetent and feeble while also saying he is conniving and powerful - at least powerful enough to corrupt an entire jury with a father's love. Quite a lot of projection there I think.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:34 pm

Must mobilize forces immediately! Vengeance!!! 'Every facet of Republican Party politics and power has to be used right now to go toe-to-toe with Marxism and beat these Communists ...'

'The G.O.P. Push for Post-Verdict Payback: "Fight Fire With Fire"'
Republican allies of Donald J. Trump are calling for revenge prosecutions and other retaliatory measures against Democrats in response to his felony conviction in New York.

Within hours of a jury finding Mr. Trump guilty last week, the anger congealed into demands for action. Since then, prominent G.O.P. leaders in and out of government have demanded that elected Republicans use every available instrument of power against Democrats, including targeted investigations and prosecutions.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:52 pm

"We should do the bad thing that the bad people did because that's what good people would do."

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:59 pm

"We should do the bad things we imagine bad people would do because that's what we imagine good people would do."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:07 pm

I know I've said this before, but the American system of politicised legal positions (in this case Democrat prosecutor and judge) makes accusations of rigged trials perfectly reasonable, at least in perception, if not reality. (not that I think Trump's trial was rigged, although the prosecution's motivation was probably intensified...). If you have a legal system that is neutral (at least from a partisan political party perspective), which is the case in most other western democracies, allegations of politically rigged trials would have little credence.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:53 pm

JimC wrote:I know I've said this before, but the American system of politicised legal positions (in this case Democrat prosecutor and judge) makes accusations of rigged trials perfectly reasonable, at least in perception, if not reality. (not that I think Trump's trial was rigged, although the prosecution's motivation was probably intensified...). If you have a legal system that is neutral (at least from a partisan political party perspective), which is the case in most other western democracies, allegations of politically rigged trials would have little credence.
But The Law is never politically neutral, and at least the judges and courts are democratically accountable to some extent - rather than being controlled by a like-minded, privileged, self-perpetuating cabal.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:12 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:53 pm
JimC wrote:I know I've said this before, but the American system of politicised legal positions (in this case Democrat prosecutor and judge) makes accusations of rigged trials perfectly reasonable, at least in perception, if not reality. (not that I think Trump's trial was rigged, although the prosecution's motivation was probably intensified...). If you have a legal system that is neutral (at least from a partisan political party perspective), which is the case in most other western democracies, allegations of politically rigged trials would have little credence.
But The Law is never politically neutral, and at least the judges and courts are democratically accountable to some extent - rather than being controlled by a like-minded, privileged, self-perpetuating cabal.
But at least here and in most other western countries, legal personal are not clearly elected as members of partisan political parties. Sure, in a general sense all legal procedures are political (you can say that about most structures in society), but it's the partisan nature of a "Democrat" (or "Republican") judge or prosecutor which invites public perception of clear bias, particularly in court cases involving prominent members of another political party. I really don't think every person with a public position (legal or otherwise) needs to be "democratically accountable" - that's the purview of an elected government, and if they are not managing legal structures and personnel well, they can be held accountable by the electorate...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!