The Coronavirus Thread

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by macdoc » Sun May 26, 2024 12:00 am

If anything influenza has positive long term effects offering protective anti-bodies that persist..
That said
Seasonal flu can cause persistent health problems similar to long Covid, study warns
Researchers in the US found that patients hospitalised for both diseases could suffer long-term problems, with Covid proving more dangerous in most cases
‘Long Covid is much more of a health problem than Covid, and long flu is much more of a health problem than the flu,’ says lead researcher Ziyad Al-Aly
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science ... tudy-warns
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Sun May 26, 2024 12:09 am

JimC wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:19 pm
mac is right. Although covid seems to be heading in the direction of reduced severity, long covid is a worry - I don't think there is a "long flu"...
Epstein-Barr.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun May 26, 2024 12:32 am

Aye, that’s a nasty one.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 26, 2024 8:26 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri May 31, 2024 8:08 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-01/ ... /103914284

Quite a long article, largely about the current outbreaks of bird flu, but I'm going to quote a section dealing with issues around the next (almost inevitable) global pandemic:
However, as several public health and infectious disease experts have warned in the past few years, the question of another pandemic is not so much a matter of if, but when.

Are we prepared for the next pandemic?

Professor Kelley Lee has been studying the governance of global pandemics for years, and most recently her work with the Pandemics & Borders international research group has been reflecting on the response to the COVID-19 pandemic and strengthen strategies for future outbreaks.

Broadly, her work aims to answer the question: is the world prepared for another pandemic?

"I would say the short answer is no, we're not anywhere near prepared. And indeed, in some ways, I think we're worse prepared than we were prior to COVID-19," she said.

Professor Lee says the biggest lesson from the COVID-19 pandemic has been how global collaboration was instrumental in managing the spread and science the virus — from identifying SARS-CoV-2 as a novel pathogen, to developing vaccines and potential drug treatments.

And conversely, where coordination was lacking, it slowed down the world's ability to bring the virus under control. One example was the varied approaches to imposing travel restrictions and border controls, which her research has shown came at huge economic and societal cost.

"When you have an uncoordinated introduction of policies, where every country did things differently and would change them over time … it's nothing short of chaotic," she said. "It's costly, but it's also not a good way of managing risk."

Professor Lee says jockeying between countries and their citizens over access to resources, "vaccine nationalism" and other behaviours such as people hoarding ventilators and masks, did significant damage. "Populations that really needed those essential supplies didn't get them in time or didn't get them at all," she says.

Over time she believes this contributed to a pervasive corrosion in trust and social cohesion.

"We're more divided than we were before COVID. You would think that a generational event such as this would have brought us closer together … but in general, societies are more fragmented, less cohesive, and less trusting. That kind of social environment makes us far less likely to cooperate or coordinate our efforts, from the local level all the way up to the global level."

Anthony Fauci on the lessons from COVID, and the tragedy of divisiveness
As Anthony Fauci wraps up as chief medical adviser at the White House, he says the world must heed the lessons of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Professor Lee says she's seeing this play out in the ongoing Global Pandemic Accord Negotiations, which this week failed to finalise a draft agreement after more than two years of discussion.

Dr Adalja, who has been advising public health bodies in the US during the recent H5N1 outbreaks, says a similar dynamic is frustrating efforts to manage the virus there.

He says there has been a lack of transparency around testing, and in many cases a lack of access for public health authorities. The setting of this outbreak – in dairy farms across a dozen or so states – adds a layer of bureaucracy that has further complicated the process. At times, public health officials from the CDC haven't been in sync with the Department of Agriculture, or with the state governments which must grant access for federal health officials to carry out testing on farms.

"We saw with swine flu in 2009, there was reticence to really address the risk on farms, and to sample farms — this has gotten better, but we always run into this because there is a very big commercial aspect in terms of export, and domestic consumption of meat and milk," he said.

"So these types of things are constraining the ability to do more widespread testing, to get more important public health information out, at least to the farm workers where we think this risk is really high."

On top of that, Dr Adalja notes that the stigma associated with testing for a highly pathogenic avian influenza carries a huge economic risk — Colombia has already restricted imports of beef from US states where dairy cows have tested positive, and Japan and the US have made similar moves to suspend Victorian poultry imports. But this matters on a micro level, too.

"Many of the people that work on these farms are migrant workers. They may not be willing to be tested because if they're sick, or if they're found to be positive, they won't be able to work, which means they won't get paid," he said.

Dr Adalja is concerned that if we don't get the response right this time, it doesn't bode well for any future pandemic scenario.

"The problems we're seeing now are not a good indicator of how well we would handle a more serious bird flu. It's important to get this ironed out, because it's likely going to involve agriculture of some sort, whether that's poultry, cattle, or swine, so we need to have really robust surveillance of what's going on there."
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:04 pm

One of the reasons I fear long covid...and also a suspicion I have had it. I have few too many similar symptoms...
‘I could bench-press 100kg. Now, I can’t walk’: Lucy’s life with long Covid
https://www.theguardian.com/society/art ... long-covid

or I could be just getting old..... :zombie:
..but it is a cautionary article and pretty close to what my friends partner in Montreal lives with daily. :cry:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:01 pm

Long Covid is a real thing.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:46 pm

I've been lucky that i've had minimal symptoms with Covid and recovered fully both times.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:46 pm

so sad :(
Childhood, interrupted: 12-year-old Toby’s life with long Covid
Toby at his home in east London. He often struggles to walk more than 50 metres.
More than 110,000 children in England and Scotland are still suffering. For Toby, it has meant pain, crushing fatigue and sadness – as well as months off school
https://www.theguardian.com/society/art ... long-covid

If kids immune systems can't cope.....what hope for us ancients.... :banghead: