The Frank Sinatra Thread

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

The Frank Sinatra Thread

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Now he might have been a bit of a cunt, at various times a drunkard, a cocaine fiends, a violent and abuse husband and father, but when he took a deep breath the noise that came out spoke with such clarity and earnestness that one instantly recognises that Frank knews what he was on about. Quite simply, Frank made a song make sense. Along with Crosby and a few other pioneers, he was among those young guns of the mid 1940s, the 'crooners' - singers who sang straight to the microphone as if they were singing directly into your ear, an approach in stark contrast to the previous generation who were by comparison mere 'shouters', lauded for their ability to fill a room with sound at the expense of a nuanced expression of the human condition.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: The Frank Sinatra Thread

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:57 pm

The Chairman of the Board, man. We'll never see this level of cool again.
Attachments
rat pack.jpg
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:06 pm

I'm with you Brian - and always have been. I was considered somewhat odd when as a proto-hippie my record collection included Sinatra as well as the Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Iron Butterfly and Zappa of course. I also like Brazilian Bossa Nova as well as Tony Bennet - though Crosby was a step too far!.

I listen to Sinatra, especially the Capitol years, his records with Nelson Riddle and his 'late flowering' period more than Airplane and the rest these days, which says something about quality and longevity. I've also read a few biographies of him - and the Rat Pack.

I always thought there were two parallel 60s - the new hippie stuff and the arrival of cool/sophisticated.

Incidentally, one thing I brought away from reading about him was that despite being a bit of a bully and a dick now and again, he was vehemently anti-racist and put his money where his mouth was on more than one occasion.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Mrs. Lak and I saw Tony Bennett a couple of years ago here in Sarasota, real bucket list stuff. We've got a lot of Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, and Sammy Davis, a well as more modern takes on it like Rod's American Songbook albums. I find myself listening to it more often than almost any other genre. I've been getting into other 50s stuff a lot, particularly Do Wop. There's something so clean about the vocals.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Bennett is fab - I have a lot of it, particularly the small group stuff - but he has a slightly more operatic style, more in the italian bel canto tradition I think. Frank's voice was, how can I put it, more lived in, more exposed and exposing, less effected. I'm being picky really - they both swing like the private parts of the mountain goat.

:smoke:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:00 pm

And Deano's voice sounds like melted chocolate, those little chocolate bottles with whisky in them.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:07 pm

I think I have the opening of my next novel...

"His voice was as smooth a Christmas chocolate - smooth, but bitter, and rather cheap."

Frank Zappa