Hayseed Dixie

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Hayseed Dixie

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 10, 2017 5:39 pm

For you Ozzies....

But, gotta love Bon Scott... terrible loss...
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Hayseed Dixie

Post by laklak » Wed May 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Saw them live in Ullapool, Scotland back in about 2005. Fucking ace.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Meh. They're not as good as Patelvis Presley...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 11, 2017 2:38 am

Forty Two wrote:For you Ozzies....

They've got nothing on Steve 'n the Seagulls:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 11, 2017 6:37 pm

They're good.

But...

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 12, 2017 2:57 am

But there's no ride-on lawn mower in it.. :think:

We should have a dedicated bluegrass covers thread. This is probably my favourite bluegrass cover of all time:

"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 am

But, Bluegrass is American music.... must be far :{D worse than all the other musics in civilized countries... :{D

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 12, 2017 9:15 am

I must confess that I am a fan of US rural and frontier-themed (not sure if that's the best word) art (books, music and movies). I'm also a massive fan of US rock starting from around the grunge period when they culturally appropriated British 70's rock/punk/metal. I also love the scenery of your country. I just can't stand your politics and the general brashness of your people.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri May 12, 2017 9:53 am

Well, I think you'd find, if you visited here, that the people are generally not "brash." Perhaps in the New York City and northern New Jersey metropolitan area, but overall, across the great majority of the country, people are polite, cordial and welcoming. IMO.

Grunge culturally appropriated British 70s punk? Well, I'll have you know that British 70s punk was appropriated from 'merca, my friend! Ever heard of the Ramones? The Stooges? CBGBs? And as we've seen, British 60s and 70s rock was really just an appropriation of American blues.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 am

Jazz, blues, rock 'n roll, bluegrass, country and western all originated in the USA. Europe just added class to those styles, except for bluegrass, country and western which were almost totally ignored because they were and remain beyond redemption. It has been cogently argued that the latter three cannot even be classed as music. The fact that so many Americans think they are musical genres says more about Americans than music.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri May 12, 2017 10:19 am

Hermit wrote:Jazz, blues, rock 'n roll, bluegrass, country and western all originated in the USA. Europe just added class to those styles, except for bluegrass, country and western which were almost totally ignored because they were and remain beyond redemption. It has been cogently argued that the latter three cannot even be classed as music. The fact that so many Americans think they are musical genres says more about Americans than music.
We added class to the music we copied from you, but the musical innovations we didn't copy are are so bad they aren't even really musical genres and are "beyond redemption."

American exceptionalism! :lay:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Hermit wrote:Jazz, blues, rock 'n roll, bluegrass, country and western all originated in the USA. Europe just added class to those styles, except for bluegrass, country and western which were almost totally ignored because they were and remain beyond redemption. It has been cogently argued that the latter three cannot even be classed as music. The fact that so many Americans think they are musical genres says more about Americans than music.
Cherman. :nono:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 12, 2017 10:22 pm

The Steve 'n' Seagulls.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT