The beatles were fucking fantastic!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: The beatles were fucking fantastic!

Post by Animavore » Wed May 27, 2020 9:01 am

I would counter that not being there at the time and not getting swept up in the mania gives me a better perspective on the whole thing because I don't view it from the inside and with a nostalgia connected to the glory days of my youth, but rather from the position of being able to see it in its context in the wider historical narrative.

Also, the guy who was who asked how I can call myself a musician was a whipper snapper compared to me at half my age.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 27, 2020 9:29 am

Animavore wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:01 am
I would counter that not being there at the time and not getting swept up in the mania gives me a better perspective on the whole thing because I don't view it from the inside and with a nostalgia connected to the glory days of my youth, but rather from the position of being able to see it in its context in the wider historical narrative.
That's a good point. But I think looking at them from a historical and social perspective is as useful and important in assessing their importance as a phenomenon aside from their musical impact - when some objective reading of the quality and depth of their musical output is all going to be about taste in the end.
Animavore wrote:
Also, the guy who was who asked how I can call myself a musician was a whipper snapper compared to me at half my age.
Ah, a hipper-whipper-snapper. Say no more. :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed May 27, 2020 10:39 am

Animavore wrote:
How about regarding the Beatles as causing a profound sea-change in popular music while acknowledging they were neither the first nor the last to do so?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed May 27, 2020 10:43 am

Hermit wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:39 am
Animavore wrote:
How about regarding the Beatles as causing a profound sea-change in popular music while acknowledging they were neither the first nor the last to do so?
No. I don't agree with that. The sea was changing. They were in the sea.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed May 27, 2020 10:44 am

Before the Beatles: How much is that doggy in the window? (Typical song)
After: Light My Fire
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed May 27, 2020 10:49 am

Tero wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:44 am
Before the Beatles: How much is that doggy in the window? (Typical song)
Rock already existed before The Beatles as well as jazz and soul. I'd argue that we've a lot more to thank black artists for the turnaround in music at the time than we do for some white boy imitators, like The Beatles.
Tero wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:44 am
After: Light My Fire
The Doors were contempories of The Beatles. Not a result of.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 am

There was no way to sell the Doors before the Beatles. Or Zappa. It was all Doggy level songs before that.
An early 60s American hit:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z5jrqe8ryJ8

The department secretary that typed up my thesis had gone to hear Chuck Berry in Wisconsin. She had bo idea he was black. Buddy Holly was the white guy playing even slightly black music.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed May 27, 2020 11:06 am

And the Stones? They followed too. Decca had no clue what to sell to teens. Teens did not buy albums till 63 in UK or my Finland. I bought 45s till 66.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am

Tero wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:06 am
And the Stones? They followed too. Decca had no clue what to sell to teens. Teens did not buy albums till 63 in UK or my Finland. I bought 45s till 66.
The Stones did not follow The Beatles. They were also contemporaries and played the same clubs together.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed May 27, 2020 11:13 am

Animavore wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:43 am
Hermit wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:39 am
Animavore wrote:
No. I don't agree with that. The sea was changing. They were in the sea.
Actually, I readily concede that the Beatles were part of the sea-change - along with Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, the Beach Boys and a whole slew of others, but they were not merely passively carried along with the sea. They were major agents of the change.

And the 'Stones never got exposure until after the Beatles did. Same with the Doors and hundreds of other rockers that made it big after the Beatles blazed the trail.
Last edited by Hermit on Wed May 27, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed May 27, 2020 11:13 am

Tero wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 am
There was no way to sell the Doors before the Beatles. Or Zappa. It was all Doggy level songs before that.
You can thank pirate radio more so for helping to sell these acts and forcing the hand of the mainstream media to start playing them as much as anything else.

So many interlocking events, it's not correct to proclaim The Beatles as the starting point of 60s rock. Especially when their early stuff was just as lame as the doggy in the window stuff you cite.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed May 27, 2020 11:15 am

They followed as far as getting signed. The Doors as well as all of psychedelia, Hendrix and all, were all clever market plans to sell "revolution" to the kids. All it took was for George Martin to sign one of them bands. The world was not ready for Satisfaction, so we had to start with hand holding songs.

Please Please Me was step 2. It suggested sex.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed May 27, 2020 11:23 am

Even if we can credit The Beatles somewhat of mainstreaming rock and roll to a wider audience to some extend I think writing them as a start point in the history of rock is like using Eminem as a starting catalyst in the history of hip hop and downplaying or writing out the black acts that preceded him.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed May 27, 2020 11:36 am

You were not there so there!
:funny:
If it had been the Stones discovered first, it would have stopped at UK, US east coast, West coast. It would have continued in a smaller way. The Doors would have made records but never become world wide. The Beatles were the model in every country. Because it was mostly a subtle thing teens sensed as new. It was never about the lyrics in 63-65.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed May 27, 2020 11:38 am

Tero wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:36 am
Because it was mostly a subtle thing teens sensed as new.
Teen girls. The Beatles were pretty much a boy band in the beginning.