Classical Music.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Classical Music.

Post by Hermit » Wed May 20, 2020 5:32 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:58 am
Yeah, I was worrying that I was getting into the obsessive collecting thing that I used to do with P2P, but I've actually been playing back a fair bit of yt-dl stuff over the last few months. What I could do with now is a searchable database by artist, composer, date, piece, etc. The longer I leave it the bigger that job gets.
My downloads are motivated by not wanting to sit in front of a computer monitor every time I want to listen to music. So I have playlists that I load into VLC. The sound gets patched through to my stereo. Or at least it did. It blew up a few weeks ago. Next time I go to Adelaide I take it along to get fixed.

One day I'll get a smart TV to patch the video through there as well. Or maybe a set-top box will do the job. I ought to look into that.

Have you noticed that Youtube has negotiated copyright permissions for a lot of the music and film clips on behalf of Youtube uploaders? A few years ago I uploaded an excerpt I ripped from a DVD of Bozzetto's Allegro non Troppo. It was blocked world wide by both the copyright owner of the video and the copyright owner of the music track and I got a slap on the wrist in the form of a threat that I'd be suspended if I do that sort of thing again. A few months ago the clip was unblocked. This one:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 20, 2020 6:45 am

Thanks for that. I didn't know that film - which I've now 'saved' to my HD. :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed May 20, 2020 7:50 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:45 am
Thanks for that. I didn't know that film - which I've now 'saved' to my HD. :D
Allegro Non Troppo is kind of a parody of Walt Disney's Fantasia. The DVD is well worth getting. The edition I bought includes a second disk filled with extras, also well worth watching. Seems to be out of print now, but there still are some around on Ebay, Amazon, etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat May 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:27 am

OMFG! I love Youtube more every day.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:47 pm

You's Google's Bitch now. :)

Frank Zappa

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:47 pm
You's Google's Bitch now. :)
Google has been my browsers' home page since it started over 20 years ago. Wikipedia is my initial entry point for information after that. Youtube (yes, I know Google owns it) is increasingly becoming a treasure trove of music I like, especially since whoever owns DG now has become less anal about keeping its products out of it. It is also becoming quite good at providing documentaries for free, and a few professional youtubers are well worth listening to.

Then there are all those kitty videos. Now, if Youtube combined kitty videos with the sound of classical music I'd be well and truly at its mercy.

Oh. Wait.

:biggrin:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:40 pm

:lol:

====

I thought this was interesting...

:smoke:

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:35 am

😷

Frank Zappa

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:43 am

^^^ Smokeeeey

By the way, my problem with youtube-dl is fixed. Updating the program did the job. It just took a while because "youtube-dl -U" kept replying with another error message. In the end I had to delete it manually and install the most recent version. While I was at it I updated ffmeg, so I don't really know where the problem was.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:37 pm

:tup: I was particularly taken with Kaspszyk's efforts here to balance the innate tension between the classical and romantic elements in the piece. It's a strange concerto - Chopin not really having the orchestration chops to match his expertise at writing for piano - but between them Argerich and Kaspszyk produce a overall cohesive, and at times quite effervescent performance.

Frank Zappa

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:52 pm

I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:56 pm

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:57 pm