The metal thread.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Re: The metal thread.

Post by Chinaski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Check out www.metalreviews.com for great recommendations from me and my colleagues.

Lately I've been listening to the new High On Fire, Shining (the Norwegian one) and Burzum.
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:40 pm

I like this band at the moment.

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Animavore wrote:I like this band at the moment.

"Baroness vid"
Great album, the riffs are fucking badass.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Chinaski wrote:Check out http://www.metalreviews.com for great recommendations from me and my colleagues.

Lately I've been listening to the new High On Fire, Shining (the Norwegian one) and Burzum.
Which Shining is the Norwegian one? The jazz-metal or the death metal? I can never remember.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Chinaski wrote:Check out http://www.metalreviews.com for great recommendations from me and my colleagues.

Which Shining is the Norwegian one? The jazz-metal or the death metal? I can never remember.
Jazz. The new album, Blackjazz, is fucking amazing.

Review:
http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=6045

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Chinaski wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

Jazz. The new album, Blackjazz, is fucking amazing.

Review:
http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=6045
The good Shining then. :tup: I like what I have heard a lot.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:58 pm

:? That is fucked up shit. Its like, I don't know what its like.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:38 am

Animavore wrote::? That is fucked up shit. Its like, I don't know what its like.
Amazing?

Have you heard the new High On Fire yet?

Awesomeness.

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:45 pm

CARCASS - Necroticism – Descanting The Insalubrious
Earache Records

Death Metal with Grindcore influences

8 songs (48:03)
Release year: 1991
Earache Records
Archive review

Carcass is another one of those bands that really needs no introduction. They have been around the extreme metal scene since the late 80s and since that time they have produced some of the best, most influential stuff out there in the realm of grindcore and death metal. Necroticism – Descanting The Insalubrious is the band's third album and saw them writing some of their most complex material up until that point, and perhaps of all time. Most songs are longer than on their previous albums, between five and seven minutes or so, but this does not keep them from remaining interesting and easy to listen to. Indeed, this is one of the few death metal albums I enjoy listening to in one sitting from beginning to end.

Inpropagation starts the album with a bouncy yet brutal death metal feel. The vocals of Jeff Walker are quite good; raspy and brutal yet also understandable. The guitar work from the young Michael Amott is excellent of course, and is a nice addition to veteran Bill Steer. The production for this album is surprisingly clear, with a touch of fuzz that brings out the distorted guitar riffs. It seems to mostly focus on the guitars and vocals, with a lot of the heavy drum work also smashing its way to the forefront. The length of this track is pretty epic, but it manages to keep me interested the entire time by switching up the riffs and throwing in some intricate guitar layering. Another thing the first track does, at least in the opening, is create this sort of creepy, otherworldly atmosphere, which continues in many of the other tracks through distinctive guitar work and samples. The next track, Corporal Jigsore Quandary, starts out with these weird samples as well, before rhythmic drum beats pound in. This song is definitely a bit more rhythm driven than the first one, with the pounding double bass drums of Ken Owen being the primary focus and simple, chugging riffs backing them up. However, towards the end there is some really catchy guitar grooves, but these are mostly repetitive and tedious after the first few bars. The vocals in this track are also interestingly done. Many do not know that there are actually two people doing these vocals, with Jeff Walker and Bill Steer both contributing different styles of growls. Symposium Of Sickness is almost 7 minutes, yet it stays brutal and fast the whole time with melodies seeping in and wrapping everything in wah-induced guitar screams and shrieks. I especially enjoy the instrumental stuff at the end which consists of some very catchy guitar layering and excellent solo work by both Amott and Steer. The riffs are just so catchy and so heavy in songs like Pedigree Butchery that you can really just sit there and listen to the music and just relax OR headbang, it can really go either way because it's possible to appreciate this band's awesome sense of musical harmony and melody. Even so they still create something brutal and heavy enough to make people go crazy in a mosh pit. Lavaging Expectorate Of Lysergide Composition can have this effect too with all the rhythm that is created, it's almost like some sort of trance music. Pedigree Butchery also has a bit of a calmer interlude thrown in towards the end that I really like. It's really little things, little touches like that, which keep me coming back to Carcass again and again.

An extremely influential part of this music is the complex way the songs are arranged. This idea of putting intricate guitar leads in the beginning of songs was only first beginning to take hold, and these guys did it better than anyone. I have already mentioned the guitar layering and the way the drumming complements the music perfectly, but it is things like this that make Carcass such a timeless act with songs and albums that never get old. Ultimately this album along with a select few others helped set the standard for top quality extreme metal. If you consider yourself a fan of death metal, this should be a staple in your musical diet.
Any site that praises carcass is indeed awesome. :tup:

*me and friend drinking*
Me:what should we listen to?
Friend: Carcass necrotism *rest unintelligible because he was smashed*
Me:What album? :think:
Friend:Carcass necrotism *rest unintelligible because he was smashed*
Me:what?
Friend: CARCASS NECROTISM-DESCANTING THE INSALUBRIOUS YOU FUCKING IDIOT
Me:wanker
Me: okay ill see if i got it (if i like bands ill download the whole discography and not get around to listening to it)

*puts it on*

I'm glad i did its a fucking awesome album. :D
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Feck

Post by Feck » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Oh thanks Chinaski I DO like this
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

rab
About me: I follow politics and church/state issues.

Post by rab » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:00 am

I've just spent the last hour or more listening to these vids. This band reminds me of the Cannibal Corpse.

Eyes of the Totenkopf---Incarceri 9

Support Church/State Separation
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Feck

Post by Feck » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:03 am

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:12 pm

A friend gave me Machine Head's new album. Wasn't expecting much after the last album. This fucking rocks.

That said, as much as I didn't like the last album it started off well. The first song is riff-tastic.

rab
About me: I follow politics and church/state issues.

Post by rab » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:37 pm

One of my favorite metal bands.

Rage Against the Machine:

Support Church/State Separation
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Feck

Post by Feck » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:54 pm

BIt dlunk hope the neighbours like this