NRA

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: NRA

Post by Svartalf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:48 am
Svartalf wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:15 am
depends on how many guns per capita you go, but technically and theoretically, an armed citizen is more able to ensure his own safety than a weaponless one.
Said no study ever.
Have there been any objective study on the matter? all the ones I know of are unashamed antigun ones.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:50 am
Svartalf wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:39 am
There cannot be a civilised society unless the uncivilized elements are driven off and gotten rid of...
which is why I regret France is so restrictive on weapon possession, the criminals can still get them, it's the hapless citizen who's left defenseless.
Post reported. Reason: Seth has hacked Svarty's account.
:hehe:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:33 pm
Hermit wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:48 am
Svartalf wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:15 am
depends on how many guns per capita you go, but technically and theoretically, an armed citizen is more able to ensure his own safety than a weaponless one.
Said no study ever.
Have there been any objective study on the matter?
John J. Donohue, a Stanford law professor and economist, is a lead author of the analysis, which used more than 30 years of crime statistics. Not objective enough for you?
Svartalf wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:33 pm
all the ones I know of are unashamed antigun ones.
Cart before horse. Again: Look at the statistics. If they are not abused or, worse, massaged, why would or should researchers who discover that more guns increase crime and reduce the safety of law abiding citizens not unashamedly pro gun control?

"Yeah, man, statistics show incontrovertibly that reducing speed limits near school entrances saves lives and limbs of many children every year, but please don't insult me by insinuating that I am unashamedly antispeed."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Meanwhile, in the Democratic People's Republic of Chicago, 66 people are shot and 12 killed in one weekend. An additional 46 people were arrested on gun charges, but none of those were involved in any of the shootings. I'm joking about the "Democratic People's Republic" bit, of course, Chicago is not and has not been any sort of democracy since Daley was mayor, it's an hereditary Democratic party machine fiefdom.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/05/us/chica ... index.html

The police commissioner says it's mostly gang related, using guns purchased elsewhere and illegally brought into Chicago. Hmmm - funny, I've said the same thing about U.S. gun violence in general right here at Ratz. It's almost like the vast majority of gun owners aren't the issue, and that we don't spend our lives dodging stray bullets in public and having shootouts on Main Street.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Mexicans! Foreigners!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:58 pm

laklak wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:15 pm
Meanwhile, in the Democratic People's Republic of Chicago, 66 people are shot and 12 killed in one weekend. An additional 46 people were arrested on gun charges, but none of those were involved in any of the shootings. I'm joking about the "Democratic People's Republic" bit, of course, Chicago is not and has not been any sort of democracy since Daley was mayor, it's an hereditary Democratic party machine fiefdom.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/05/us/chica ... index.html

The police commissioner says it's mostly gang related, using guns purchased elsewhere and illegally brought into Chicago. Hmmm - funny, I've said the same thing about U.S. gun violence in general right here at Ratz. It's almost like the vast majority of gun owners aren't the issue, and that we don't spend our lives dodging stray bullets in public and having shootouts on Main Street.
Once the crown jewel of the American manufacturing industry, Chicago has become the epitome of the USA's rust belt. Capitalism has moved employment elsewhere, mostly overseas.

Weird how its many equivalents, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool in the UK, Newcastle and Woolongong in Australia among them - all traditional blue collar Labour party machine fiefdoms - have not become hotspots of murder by firearms.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:14 pm

https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:52 am
And now I wait for Jimbo reminiscing about hunting rabbits with his .22 Ruger.
Be wery, wery quiet... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:19 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:31 pm
Hermit wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:52 am
And now I wait for Jimbo reminiscing about hunting rabbits with his .22 Ruger.
Be wery, wery quiet... :tea:
:clap:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:16 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:58 pm
Weird how its many equivalents, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool in the UK, Newcastle and Woolongong in Australia among them - all traditional blue collar Labour party machine fiefdoms - have not become hotspots of murder by firearms.
Having spent considerable time in both Leeds and Manchester, I applaud the UK's lack of a 2nd Amendment. I would most definitely not like to be around when the time bell rings on a Saturday night with a shitload of handguns floating around. Never been to OZ, worse luck, maybe someday, but your lack of a 2nd is also probably a good thing. You're in a better position to judge than I.

Problem is, neither the Labour Party nor our own Democrites bear any resemblence to the traditional, bule collar, machines they used to be. Both are cesspits of neo-liberal narcissism and public larceny, barely distinguishable from their opposite numbers. Our guys probably have a soupcon more Identity Politics leavening, but they're milled from the same wheat.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 am

laklak wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:16 am
Problem is, neither the Labour Party nor our own Democrites bear any resemblence to the traditional, bule collar, machines they used to be. Both are cesspits of neo-liberal narcissism and public larceny, barely distinguishable from their opposite numbers.
I wish I had a dollar for every time I said or posted as much, so yeah, wholeheartedly agreed. That said, I think you evaded the point I was making. Or maybe you missed it. ... Or I didn't get yours when you mentioned Chicago's murder rate about three quarters of which is committed by firearm. Care to clarify, preferably in the context that led up to it, that is your (possibly sarcastic) glorying about the Titusville shooting?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:28 am

@lak.. I think the Dems and the Repubs are clearly distinguishable by the prevalence of fruitcake religionists and racists on the right. And a belief in climate change on the left.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 am

I don't worry about what they say, I only worry about results. You got Republican idiots, you got Democrat idiots, and they do exactly the same things when they get stuck into the trough - feather their own nests, feather their buddie's nests, fuck over ordinary people, drop bombs on other ordinary people, whore for corporations, suck banker dick, and generally behave like the power-mad, psychopathic narcissists they are. Hillary or Trump, what's the fucking difference? At least Trump's amusing, I'd honestly have to (cordless) power drill my ears if I had to listen to Hillary braying on TV 24/7. Then there's Bernie, when he's not hanging around in one of his vacation houses, wanking over that Ocasio-Cortez bint with all the teeth. She's just so dreadfully earnest, you know?

Hermit, the reason Leeds et. al. haven't devolved into Chicago is they don't have guns. I don't think there's any mystery there. They do still kill the fuck out of each other, they just aren't as efficient at it. But it is what it is, as me Ol' Da used to say. It ain't changing, and anyone who thinks it will is deluded. Still like the Titusville guy, though. Happiness is a warm .357.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 am

laklak wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 am
I don't worry about what they say, I only worry about results. You got Republican idiots, you got Democrat idiots, and they do exactly the same things when they get stuck into the trough - feather their own nests, feather their buddie's nests, fuck over ordinary people, drop bombs on other ordinary people, whore for corporations, suck banker dick, and generally behave like the power-mad, psychopathic narcissists they are. Hillary or Trump, what's the fucking difference? At least Trump's amusing, I'd honestly have to (cordless) power drill my ears if I had to listen to Hillary braying on TV 24/7. Then there's Bernie, when he's not hanging around in one of his vacation houses, wanking over that Ocasio-Cortez bint with all the teeth. She's just so dreadfully earnest, you know?

Hermit, the reason Leeds et. al. haven't devolved into Chicago is they don't have guns. I don't think there's any mystery there. They do still kill the fuck out of each other, they just aren't as efficient at it. But it is what it is, as me Ol' Da used to say. It ain't changing, and anyone who thinks it will is deluded. Still like the Titusville guy, though. Happiness is a warm .357.
What this seems to imply is something I've said in a pessimistic way in various posts; once you have a situation where a society (such as the US) is saturated with guns (particularly hand guns) there is virtually no way back, and it may often be the case that possessing a gun yourself makes sense. To me, that's all the more reason to cling as determinedly as we can to a low gun density society...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:29 am

laklak wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 am
Hillary wouldn't have bailed out of the Paris agreement.
Hillary wouldn't have put an environmental vandal in charge of the EPA.
Hillary wouldn't be fighting CA to loosen our emissions standards.
Hillary wouldn't be trying to overturn Roe v Wade.
Hillary wouldn't have implemented a baby snatching policy.
Hillary wouldn't have started a trade war with the entire goddamn world.
Hillary wouldn't have banned trannies from the military.
Hillary wouldn't have put a retarded person in charge of the department of education.
Hillary wouldn't have torn up the Iran deal.

For christ's sake, man, this isn't a game. My state is literally burning to the fucking ground, and we have the most anti-science, anti-intellectual, anti-environment president this country has ever had.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka