Gun attack at Dallas police headquarters

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Re: Gun attack at Dallas police headquarters

Post by Seth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:15 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
JimC wrote:Seth keeps saying that anybody that opposes his views on guns wants to "ban guns". That is a loose and absurd contention. For a start, one needs to be very clear whether one is talking about the US, or one's own country.

In Oz, guns are not "banned", we simply have more stringent restrictions on ownership than the US, particularly in terms of hand guns, which is our choice, and our right. However, there is a very healthy community of hunting and shooting enthusiasts, which included myself in my younger days. The key point is that the vast majority of Australians are comfortable with the level of gun control that exist here - there is not a widespread movement like the NRA demanding change...

As for the US, most of us have stated that, in the long run, of course it is up to US voters to sort out the level of gun control that is acceptable. To me, it seems very unlikely that change is a realistic option; fair enough, as long as you are prepared to accept the consequences of a level of gun violence much, much higher than comparable developed nations. Of course, if you are comfortable being statistically compared to third world shitholes, then again, fair enough...
That's a good point. Seth instantly ramped my initial two-line response to the level of an unjust demand that he should be rendered defenceless in the face of potentially overwhelming and lethal violence, throwing in for good measure insinuations that this was because I was irrationally and illogically fearful and/or paranoid about what he might do me with his personal firearms (as well as denigrating my character and motivation in his usual manner of course). But in fact all I did was raise ideas about the difference in consequences (for society and for individuals) between a gun and a no-gun environment, which I maintained even as Seth continued to present my point as being about the consequences for vulnerable, defenceless, gunless people faced with the threat of gun-totting criminals etc.
I chose not to pander to your strawman argument. There is no such thing as a gun-free environment. There never has been since the invention of the firearm, and there never will be. Therefore your argument is pointless sophistry, which I chose to point out. You refuse to recognize the fact that your utopian ideal is an impossibility in any society on earth and that therefore your claims about the difference in consequences are specious and irrelevant.

Yes, if all firearms instantly vanished from the face of the earth there would be fewer gun-involved crimes committed. But this cannot happen. Furthermore, even if it did miraculously happen (an interesting series of sci-fi books by S.M. Sterling, The Emberverse series of The Change series, explores this) the absence of guns would not necessarily reduce the amount of criminal victimization nor would it justify disarming innocents.

You want to studiously ignore these facts by trying to artificially constrain the debate only to your pet theory. I'm not about to let you get away with that sort of mendacity.
Guns are not banned in the UK either,
Yes, they are. Not all of them, but you can't own an "assault weapon" or a semi-automatic shotgun, therefore they are banned.
but their use is very strictly regulated such that even private ownership for legitimate sporting or agricultural purposes requires accepting the restrictive conditions which effectively places one under the permanent scrutiny of the authorities.

And renders them utterly ineffective and unusable for personal defense, by design and intent.
This does not mean guns are not used by criminals in the pursuance of their criminal activities or in random acts but it does mean there are few guns in circulation and that the impromptu use of guns is almost entirely averted along with the incidences of mass shooting.
I'm sure that's of great comfort to those who are shot dead by criminals because they were disarmed by their government...and their families.
In the US the imposition of a blanket 'ban' on personal firearms would not do away with its particular gun-related problems at a stroke, it would be naive to think it would, and for Seth to present this as among my contentions is, frankly, disingenuous.

It wouldn't do away with gun crime at all because criminals don't obey gun bans. Duh!
I offered one justification why nobody having guns in society is better (for society and individuals) that everybody having free access to them, and it was clearly not the responsible gun-use of responsible gun-owners which I suggested had disproportionate and potentially fatal consequences for others but the unconsidered, emotive, ill-judged, reckless, downright dangerous, or wanton, etc, use of firearms by responsible and irresponsible gun-owners alike.

Your justification was based on false presumptions and data.
That Seth miscast my point and refused to engage in the discussion on any terms other than those which he felt justified his own personal possession simply showed how an honest debate is almost impossible with him on this.
I didn't refuse to engage, I engaged the actual discussion, which was not, as you suggest, not about responsible gun use, it was quite clearly about ANY gun use at all. You did not qualify your inclusive statement about anger-related gun misuse potential in any way at all. Therefore it is reasonable to conclude, as I did, that you apply this paranoid fear of misuse to each and every civilian gun owner. That's tarring everyone with the same brush.

Your failure to qualify the applicability of your concerns about "unconsidered, emotive, ill-judged, reckless, downright dangerous, or wanton, etc, use of firearms by responsible and irresponsible gun-owners alike" demonstrates exactly what I said it demonstrates. You failed to note any circumstances at all under which "responsible" gun ownership would be acceptable and you stated quite clearly that in your opinion that "everyone" should be debarred the possession of firearms because of the (unquantified) risk of "unconsidered, emotive, ill-judged, reckless, downright dangerous, or wanton, etc, use of firearms... "

Thus, it is neither unreasonable or unresponsive to bring this evident sub-rosa agenda to the surface and throw it squarely in your face as a repudiation of your bald-faced attempt to manipulate the debate to your benefit.

For example....
Seth wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:What I am saying is that in circumstances where someone feels inclined, however transiently, to harm someone else they are demonstrably less likely to follow through on that where it involves making direct physical contact. This is not a difficult sentence to parse.
You have failed to demonstrate this assertion. You have also failed to explain how shooting someone is anything other than "direct physical contact."
Demonstrating the point isn't a necessary condition for taking it at face value and addressing it's implications
And debunking your addressing of the implications by revealing your deliberately mendacious parsing of words is perfectly appropriate.
(although I could have offered the work of Foot and Jarvis Thompson on social ethics, McMahan on Just War Theory, or any number of studies on conflict and impromptu violence).
Feel free to do so. I'd love to rebut them too.
That Seth flatly refused take this at face value or make any effort even to consider the implications of the gun vs no-gun comparison presented, and instead equivocated on what 'unarmed' or 'direct physical contact' should really mean--despite it being quite clear that the latter phrase was used to draw a distinction between confrontations that involved a person making physical contact with another vs harm caused remotely, 'at a distance', without touching, etc (again, it is tiresome that one should have to engage in this level of petty qualification simply in order to move the discussion forward)--only demonstrate that on this issue, like so many others, his discursive tactics are wholly shackled to asserting and maintaining the moral, rationality, and practical superiority of his own ideals without regard or reference to what anything anybody might actually be saying on any given matter.
Of course I'm not going to take your claims at face value. To do so is to serve your purposes and not mine and to allow you entree to derivative arguments that I see coming from a long way off. I choose to forestall this evasive sort of rhetorical tactic in favor of cutting to the meat of the argument. It's perfectly clear to me that your derivative argument will run along the lines of "we should ban guns because if the attacker actually has to make physical contact with the victim he will be less likely to attack." That may or may not be true, but it's entirely irrelevant to the core issue, which is the right of the VICTIM to possess superior force with which to defend him or herself against any kind of attack, direct, remote or otherwise.

You are trying to draw a false moral equivalence between an attack and self-defense and the tools used by the respective parties. We can agree that no one should be using any weapon to attack someone else out of anger or whatever unjustified motive applies, but this has absolutely no connection whatever to the right or propriety of the VICTIM to be armed for effective self-defense in the event of such an attack.
For the record I have no interest in somehow forcing Seth to capitulate and recant, why would one bother(?), but neither am I interested in engaging an interlocutor who willingly employs intellectual dishonesty to force this from others or who starts from the expressed presumption that mere disagreement or challenge is a de facto signifier of irrationality, illogicality, and/or a default deficit in moral reasoning.

:tea:
Your statements are not "mere disagreement." You make the claim that it is too dangerous for society for anyone to be armed because someone might use that weapon improperly due to anger or fear. That is clearly your claim. I have explained to you in detail why this is an irrational position to take, just as it would be irrational to say that it's too dangerous for anyone to drive a car because someone might use it improperly and hurt or kill someone.

You go on to concoct an argument to support this thesis that deliberately sets the preconditions in such a way as to render your argument valid no matter what. This is a classic example of begging the question. Of course in an "unarmed" society where guns do not exist the danger of someone using a gun under stress or anger would not occur. But this argument falsely presumes that there is such a thing as an "unarmed" society in which guns do not exist. If you want to play irrelevant hypothetical games, go ahead, but I'm not participating. The real world facts make your proposition false from the first statement. Your dogged adherence to this fictional and utopian "unarmed society" while refusing to recognize that it is pointless to discuss such a society because such a society does not, never has, and never will exist.

I choose therefore to reject your constraints and examine the root question rationally, in real world terms. I have provided factual evidence showing that the fear that you express has not come to pass in the US despite a huge jump in the number of people carrying concealed weapons, which you utterly ignore.

If you want to complain about me trying to drive you off-topic, go ahead, but what you really need to do is propose a topic and argument that is not vacuously irrelevant because it posits impossible utopian social conditions that exist nowhere in reality.

I call your argumentation intellectually dishonest because it clearly is an attempt to evade the actual issues that surround an armed citizenry.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:23 am

Tero wrote:
Seth wrote:
Tero wrote:In Seth world. Wonder what those concealed carry people are doing for me? Nothing. It only helps the carrier. And not always.
Your assertion is factually untrue, as the overall drop in crime rates in places where lawful concealed carry has been authorized proves. If you live in such a jurisdiction, you are benefiting from it. If you do not, well, you're just stupid not to move to somewhere it is legal.

And just because self-defense is not always successful is no argument against the preparation or attempt.
Those are just the NRA funded studies.
Circumstantial ad hominem fallacy. That they may be (but factually are not) NRA funded has zero to do with whether the data supports the conclusions. If you dispute the conclusions, then take the data and present your refutation. Merely dismissing the conclusions because you don't like the author is the essence of the circumstantial ad hominem fallacy.
The real numbers do not support guns.

What "real numbers"? Be specific. Cite your data and source.
But most of the neutral studies still need to be done.
First you have to demonstrate with critically robust evidence that the studies you denigrate are not "neutral" and are inaccurate.
And cause and effect was never shown.
I disagree. I think cause and effect have been clearly shown by credible and peer-reviewed research.
There are too many other factors and there us no control group.
What do you mean by "control group?" How about NYC, Detroit and Chicago as "control groups" where law-abiding private citizens are effectively forbidden to possess much less carry concealed handguns in public. You might want to note that crime rates in these control groups are much, much higher than they are in other groups where concealed carry is authorized.
There can't be if the laws are all pro gun.
[/quote]

They aren't, which shows a fundamental cognitive disconnect in your argumentation. Washington DC, where public legal concealed carry has been prohibited for decades is known as the "murder capital of the United States," whereas neighboring Arlington, VA, which permits concealed carry, has a much, much lower violent crime rate.

There's your "control group" right there.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:19 am

Seth wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Seth wrote:Well, if you would quit making the same stupid anti-gun assertions...
You must have missed my change of mind about the efficacy of gun bans about five years ago, but then you never were much into facts. Just because I do not share your extreme views about such things as "Shall Issue" policies and the paranoia that necessitates militias does not mean I am gun ban happy.

My change of mind, incidentally, is due to a comment of yours at RDF that gun bans are not generally reflected in a decrease of murder, homicide and suicide rates. I did not believe your claim, but thought it might be a good idea to research the facts. It turns out that you were right. In under a year 20% of Australia's privately owned firearms were taken out of circulation with the gun buyback scheme. Yes, the rates of murder, homicide and suicide by firearm dropped massively, and demonstrably so, a fact that gun control advocates keep crowing about to this day, but there was no corresponding drop in those rates overall. The steady drop in those rates in the years after the buyback scheme was the same as in the years before, and I have pointed this out repeatedly, citing statistics and sources while I was at it, but as far as you are concerned I remain an anti-gun nut.
That was the collective "you."
Oh. That explains why you quoted two of my posts in their entirety, one of yours and nothing else. :lol: Anybody here believe Seth's denial?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:45 am

I disagree. I think cause and effect have been clearly shown by credible and peer-reviewed research.
Crime rates relate most closely to good economy bad economy. The number of guns "you guys" own versus evil doers had little to do with it.

The poorest states have the most crimes

All sorts of factors, from single mothers to family income to Obama have been listed. Gun ownership is not a significant factor. It's just your toys, your gut feel. You are never there when crime takes place. So unless Seth is the victim, Seth's gun has no effect.
Although nobody predicted the striking decline in crime during the 1990s, in hindsight theories explaining it abound. Some give credit to smarter police tactics: particularly quantitative methods and “broken windows” policing. Others point to the increased availability of legal abortion in the 1970s, resulting in fewer children born to teenage, unwed and poor mothers: precisely the sorts of children who commit crimes at high rates during adolescence. There is also the waning of violence associated with the crack market, and the increased incarceration rate, which keeps more criminals off the street for longer (though at tremendous cost).
http://www.economist.com/node/18775436
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...