Only in America

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: Only in America

Post by Tero » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:02 am

All corporations are equal here, they can bribe politicians with as much $ as they can!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:50 am
An adversarial system where the strongest won.
Exactly as it should be.
Attachments
frazetta.jpg
frazetta.jpg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:55 pm

laklak wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:17 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
An adversarial system where the strongest won.
Exactly as it should be.
Thank fuck I dont live in such a system.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:18 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
American's have no idea what democracy is. Their constitution was not designed for it. It was for a divided community. An adversarial system where the strongest won.
I can understand people getting the terms mixed up, but our system is known as Democrazy. It's very entertaining...from a distance. :lol:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:48 pm

Okay..... given that the US is a federal system with 50 states, each state with an elected legislature which makes laws, and an elected governor which enforces laws, and a federal government with an elected President which enforces laws, and an elected legislature which makes laws..... how is the US system not a democracy?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:16 am

Nobel Prize-winning physicist Leon Lederman dies at 96
https://www.apnews.com/9b5d3d178b314031 ... dies-at-96

His Nobel Prize sold for $765,000 in an auction in 2015 to help pay for medical bills and care.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:52 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:48 pm
Okay..... given that the US is a federal system with 50 states, each state with an elected legislature which makes laws, and an elected governor which enforces laws, and a federal government with an elected President which enforces laws, and an elected legislature which makes laws..... how is the US system not a democracy?
Seth was not the only person to argue that the US of A was a republic rather than a democracy. Ignoring gerrymandering and the machinations by which voting is made more difficult for people in social strata that make them more likely to vote for the Dems, the legislative branch - members of the House and the Senate - are indeed elected via recognisably democratic methods. The situation is quite different for the executive. When the winning candidate for the presidency trails the other candidate by 46.1% to 48.2% of the popular vote, yet wins by virtue of winning the Electoral College votes to the tune of 57.3% compared to 42.7%, 'democracy' will need to be significantly redefined to make it fit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:14 pm

Originally only Representatives were democratically elected. Each state's Senators were appointed by the governor, and the electoral college was appointed by the state governments, though no mechanism for that was described.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 pm

laklak wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:14 pm
Originally only Representatives were democratically elected. Each state's Senators were appointed by the governor, and the electoral college was appointed by the state governments, though no mechanism for that was described.
A brilliant system for cronyism.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Hermit wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:52 am
Forty Two wrote:
Seth was not the only person to argue that the US of A was a republic rather than a democracy. Ignoring gerrymandering and the machinations by which voting is made more difficult for people in social strata that make them more likely to vote for the Dems, the legislative branch - members of the House and the Senate - are indeed elected via recognisably democratic methods. The situation is quite different for the executive. When the winning candidate for the presidency trails the other candidate by 46.1% to 48.2% of the popular vote, yet wins by virtue of winning the Electoral College votes to the tune of 57.3% compared to 42.7%, 'democracy' will need to be significantly redefined to make it fit.
By Seth's definition, no country was a democracy. A Republic is a country where the supreme power is held by the people, and the head of state is elected by vote or nomination, rather than there being a monarchy. Yes, the US is a Republic, but it's also a democracy by the common definition which is that elected representatives make the laws.

Gerrymandering doesn't make voting more difficult. Gerrymandering is the term for setting the boundaries of a district, but as a portmanteau between the name "gerry" and salamander, it refers to the practice of making the district oddly shaped, like the body of a salamander. Often, the practice has been used to increase minority representation in a legislature, by shaping the district to be majority of one certain race or point of view. It's sometimes been used as schemes to give more districts to Democrats or Republicans - it's been used by both parties.

Well, the electoral college system only applies to the Presidency. The federal lawmakers are direct popular vote. In other countries, like the UK, the people don't even vote for the head of state - there is a head of state called the Queen, who has power by birth, and then there is head of government, the PM, who gets elected by the members of Parliament. The people don't get to vote at all for the PM - it's a political choice by the members of parliament. So, to suggest that European country like the UK is a democracy, but the US is not, would seem a bit unfair. Although, maybe you don't think the UK is a democracy either, I don't know.

Also, in the US, the President is elected by a set of co-equal states, not the individual citizenry, per se. It's much the same way that the UN gives one vote for each country. If we loved pure, unmodified democracy, meaning all things must be on per-individual basis, then each country in the UN should have voting power commensurate with its share of the world population, right?

In any case - it's an irrelevant argument - the US is a republic, and it's a democracy, but the modern definitions of these words in the English language. It could be more democratic, as could most countries, but it has its system which is a compromise looking to balance a variety of competing interests.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:05 pm

laklak wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:14 pm
The Canadian Senate is something like that. The "Governor General" (Queen Elizabeth's representative in her former Dominion) appoints the Senators, on the advice of the Prime Minister, which generally means the PM chooses the Senators. The members of the Senate are appointed, and then serve until age 75. The Senate considers and revises legislation, investigates national issues, and most crucially according to the Constitution — gives the regions of Canada an equal voice in Parliament.

That's o.k., though, because it's Canada. In the US, giving the regions (aka states) an equal voice in Congress is archaic and ridiculous. In Canada, doing so strikes a reasonable balance between the interests of a population and the interests of a region.

To qualify for appointment, a person must be a Canadian citizen (which of course is discriminatory), at least 30 years old (age discrimination); have real property worth $4,000 free of mortgage and a net worth of at least $4,000; and reside in the province or territory for which they are appointed. The net worth and mortgage free real estate requirement clearly excludes the poor. I mean, someone with more debts than assets can't be a Senator? What the hell, folks?

Only in (North) America....

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Then there's that bastion of democracy in the UK, the House of Lords.

But yeah, all those are OK because they're not 'Murikan.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:27 pm

laklak wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:16 pm
Then there's that bastion of democracy in the UK, the House of Lords.

But yeah, all those are OK because they're not 'Murikan.
The UK has never known democracy lak. The voting system was developed from the hustings where people sold their vote.

Not much has changed.

The biggest curse is gerrymandering. In the UK it has altered so many elections.

Fifty Years of Bias in the UK’s Electoral System

A great democracy. :funny:

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:37 pm

I need to buy some of this.
Liberal Tears.jpg

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:37 am

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:56 pm
Hermit wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:52 am
Forty Two wrote:
By Seth's definition, no country was a democracy. A Republic is a country where the supreme power is held by the people, and the head of state is elected by vote or nomination, rather than there being a monarchy. Yes, the US is a Republic, but it's also a democracy by the common definition which is that elected representatives make the laws.

Gerrymandering doesn't make voting more difficult. Gerrymandering is the term for setting the boundaries of a district, but as a portmanteau between the name "gerry" and salamander, it refers to the practice of making the district oddly shaped, like the body of a salamander. Often, the practice has been used to increase minority representation in a legislature, by shaping the district to be majority of one certain race or point of view. It's sometimes been used as schemes to give more districts to Democrats or Republicans - it's been used by both parties.

Well, the electoral college system only applies to the Presidency. The federal lawmakers are direct popular vote. In other countries, like the UK, the people don't even vote for the head of state - there is a head of state called the Queen, who has power by birth, and then there is head of government, the PM, who gets elected by the members of Parliament. The people don't get to vote at all for the PM - it's a political choice by the members of parliament. So, to suggest that European country like the UK is a democracy, but the US is not, would seem a bit unfair. Although, maybe you don't think the UK is a democracy either, I don't know.

Also, in the US, the President is elected by a set of co-equal states, not the individual citizenry, per se. It's much the same way that the UN gives one vote for each country. If we loved pure, unmodified democracy, meaning all things must be on per-individual basis, then each country in the UN should have voting power commensurate with its share of the world population, right?

In any case - it's an irrelevant argument - the US is a republic, and it's a democracy, but the modern definitions of these words in the English language. It could be more democratic, as could most countries, but it has its system which is a compromise looking to balance a variety of competing interests.
Stop bullshitting. The traditional meaning of democracy is government by the majority or - or in the case of FPTP voting - at least a plurality of all voters. There is nothing particularly democratic about an election with rampantly gerrymandered districts and where the candidate of the executive branch with almost three million fewer votes wins 57.3% of the Electoral College. I know you'll argue that both candidates competed under the same rules, and yes, they did. Doesn't make the rules particularly democratic, though.

What will you do next? Maybe roll up with a tu quoque? Have a go at redefining 'democracy'?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould