Only in America

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Only in America

Post by Seabass » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 am

Śiva wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:00 pm
No. The shit-holeyness of a country is the problem of the residents of that country. They need to take responsibility for their shithole and take measures to improve it. Not put their shit in a backpack and start hiking up to the border of the land of plenty. Am I right?
US GDP: 19.4 trillion
US population 320 million

Honduras GDP: 23 billion
Honduras population: 7.6 million

How exactly are these tiny, poor South American countries supposed to sort their own shit out when their governments are bought and paid for by drug cartels who are able to amass OBSCENE wealth by selling their product on black markets?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:22 am

Rise up and take the power back. :smug:

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:52 am

Story I wrote up 5 years ago
3CBA23C1-25AD-46B5-AE50-FA79E155F7EB.jpeg
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:23 am

A relaxing hobby, but in Florida! Result:
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/03/us/tal ... cnn.com%2F
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Śiva wrote:
No. The shit-holeyness of a country is the problem of the residents of that country. They need to take responsibility for their shithole and take measures to improve it. Not put their shit in a backpack and start hiking up to the border of the land of plenty. Am I right?
Agreed. We have countries that are so poorly run that their citizens are forced to seek asylum in a "Land of Opportunity" where, in the main, they will not be welcome.
Yet the 'world-wide' community just sits on its arse twiddling its thumbs. What they should be doing is to actively interfere in those countries so that there is no desire for its citizens to leave en masse.

Suggestions?
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Regime change. Isn't that what we've done for the last couple thousand years, species-wise? Don't like what's going on over there, starting to cause problems at home? Change 'em up. Put somebody in charge who's more amenable to your interests.

'Murikans have been doing it for a long time, and we cut our teeth in Central and South America so it's known terrain. It's always been an issue, remember the Monroe Doctrine and the Alamo and all that. Spanish-American War, Mexican War, United Fruit Company, Nicaragua, Panama, and Send the Marines!

Problem is, it's not the 1800s or even the 1980s, we just can't go in there and pay off the rebels or shore up the dictator without pissing everybody else off. Maybe the Marshall Plan wasn't such a good idea, eh? I jest. Sort of.

So yeah, I think we need to intervene in some way, but I'm not even sure who "we" are any more. Lots of ins, lots of out, lots of what-have-yous. Is it any business of the Chinese? How about Vlad and Co.? Maybe it's a big UN thing but hell, look at their track record, doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Once we figure out who we are we'll have to figure out what we should do. Imagine that conference call. I'm not holding my breath, to be honest.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:24 am

And that's the problem, Lak. The Human Race, down to the individual, is insular by nature - "as long as I (or my country) is OK, then sod the rest!"

There are some who think 'outside the box' of this insularity, but I think in many cases they are banging their heads against a brick wall and certainly facing an uphill struggle - mustn't interfere with another country's sovereignty. Oh, no! :prof:

But never mind, AGW will sort the wheat from the chaff. In a few million years, with evolution doing its trick, the then dominant species will ask "Who the fuck were these animals that fucked up our planet?"
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:21 pm

The new dominant species will have evolved to fit the new climatic realities. They'll say "Look how finely tuned our world is, just for us! This proves God made us in his own image!"

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:31 pm

Florida teen kills mom after argument over bad grade

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:45 pm

What else was he gonna do? She was probably threatening to take his cell phone. Then we got that incel shooting yoga moms up in Tallahassee. Florida Man has been busy this week.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Seabass wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 am
Śiva wrote:
US GDP: 19.4 trillion
US population 320 million

Honduras GDP: 23 billion
Honduras population: 7.6 million

How exactly are these tiny, poor South American countries supposed to sort their own shit out when their governments are bought and paid for by drug cartels who are able to amass OBSCENE wealth by selling their product on black markets?
I don't know. That would take a bit of knowledge about the situations in those countries which none of us have. However, there are boatloads of poor people in Malawi, and I notice Europe's policy is not to allow in thousands of Malawians without complying with Europe's immigration laws. What are the Malawians supposed to do? Surely Europe's policy should be "if you can get here, we'll take you in" right?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Florida Man jumped in a crocodile exhibit in St. Augustine, and got bitten. https://people.com/pets/florida-man-wea ... ator-farm/ He was, fittingly, wearing "Crocs" at the time.

He was caught later, having escaped the exhibit and was found crawling across a lawn with bite injuries to his legs. When asked what happened, he said he encountered an old man walking an alligator on a leash and suddenly he was surrounded by "all these baby alligators."
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Pro-Trump pimp Dennis Hof wins Nevada election weeks after he died
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/07/pro-tru ... -died.html
Republican Dennis Hof, a Nevada brothel owner and former reality TV star who died last month, was elected Tuesday to a legislative seat representing a rural southern portion of the state, according to The Associated Press.

Hof was elected to the Assembly District 36, beating Democratic challenger Lesia Romanov, an educator.
They chose a dead pimp over an educator with two master's degrees. America in a nutshell. :fp2:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:40 pm

Do they now prop up his coffin on a seat in the government building?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak

Post by laklak » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:25 am

Now, now, "pimp" is a bit disrespectful. He's a legal brothel owner. But hey, it's fucking Nevada, the only state with more crazies per square mile than Florida.