Only in America

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Only in America

Post by JimC » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:46 am

That was a rather tasteless remark, Hermit... :nono:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:26 am

Yes, it certainly was. I tried to keep it sweet by constructing a pun involving strawberries. Needles to say, everything I thought of was so far-fetched and contrived, it would have been hard to swallow.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:31 am

:hehe: :?

Folks, chop up your strawberries before eating...
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:52 am

The mayor of the town of Uranus, Missouri, is really quite annoyed by the ridicule the launch of it's new weekly newspaper has caused. The Uranus Examiner has been the butt of jokes since the announcement of its launch, but the staff and journalists say the levity which the name of their organ has inspired won't stop them getting to the bottom of local stories.

http://amp.kansascity.com/news/nation-w ... 29895.html
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 am

Bummer!
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 am

Cracked me up. :hehe:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 pm
The irritation is likely with her attempted rationalization of what she did, trying to get out of criminal responsibility. Her story sounds rather dicey and dubious. But, it's not really all that surprising that a criminal defendant would try to come up with something that minimizes his or her fault in the matter.

I wasn't there! It was a mistake! An accident! He did it! He made me do it!

We'll see what happens, but her story sounds like horseshit to me. I bet dollars to donuts that an investigator will find something fishy in the background relationship between these two.
How about the fact that she's only been charged with manslaughter? :roll:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Can you believe these motherfuckers? They've gone and got a search warrant for the victim's place and released the finding of a few grams of pot and an herb grinder. These people are worthless. No, they have not searched the officer's place and yes, she is still only charged with manslaughter.

I don't get why people are mad. --fucking derp

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:38 pm

Well hell, that nigra was prolly givin' maryjewanna to good white girls an' takin' 'vantage of 'em to make mulatto babies. It's a Demmycrat plot to destroy the White Race and take away our guns and turn everbody inta queers.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:39 pm

How about it?

It sounds reasonable to me, at this point. The prosecutor can and often does add charges as they go. They're investigating, so it doesn't sound unreasonable.

I would add, though, that prosecutors often don't act reasonably in charging the average person, and they will sometimes overcharge, rather than undercharge or reasonably charge, a person. As a cop, she's probably getting a fairer shake than anyone else would under the circumstances.

That being said, if you had a crystal ball and could see the events take place, and if you could assure yourself that exactly what the officer said happened did, in fact, happen, what would you believe she should be convicted of?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:39 pm

We all know right? I remember when some poor guy in Houston killed a cop in a traffic accident. It could happen to anyone. Well, he passed the on scene sobriety test. But they still took him into custody and drew his blood. He came back clean on that as well. So did they release him? Nope, they kept him in jail while they ordered another blood test to verify the first one. Then they started saying he was acting weird at the scene.... He's probably under a unit out in Huntsville now. I stopped following before I lost my mind.

We all know it man. Every last one of us knows it man. But you can still find some asshole who'll say, wellllllllllllll.....

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 pm
Can you believe these motherfuckers? They've gone and got a search warrant for the victim's place and released the finding of a few grams of pot and an herb grinder. These people are worthless. No, they have not searched the officer's place and yes, she is still only charged with manslaughter.

I don't get why people are mad. --fucking derp
I just read an article that said the police did not say whether they searched her place. Have they clarified that? Note, if she consented to a search, they may have done so and have not released the facts to the media.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:45 pm

laklak wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:38 pm
Well hell, that nigra was prolly givin' maryjewanna to good white girls an' takin' 'vantage of 'em to make mulatto babies. It's a Demmycrat plot to destroy the White Race and take away our guns and turn everbody inta queers.
Well, they are putting chemicals in the water to turn the frogs gay.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:46 pm

It was the family's lawyer who said they had not searched the cop's place. They may have. I was shocked to hear they hadn't. It wouldn't make releasing the finding of a bit of pot any less careless if they had though.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:46 pm
It was the family's lawyer who said they had not searched the cop's place. They may have. I was shocked to hear they hadn't. It wouldn't make releasing the finding of a bit of pot any less careless if they had though.
Sounds like the information was part of the public record in the case. Generally speaking, a warrant issued and a police affidavit are filed with the court which anyone can see. So, they got a warrant to search Botham Jean's apartment, which sounds reasonable. If I was doing the investigation, I would want to search his apartment to find out what was going on there. Would be interesting to see if there was a shoebox full of love notes from a certain female police officer who lived one floor down....

Once they get the warrant, though, they would keep track of whatever they found there. Like, if they found a weapon while searching, they'd make note. If they found evidence of other crimes, they'd make note. That's what the police affidavit after the search warrant did. If marijuana is illegal there, then I wouldn't be surprised that they'd catalogue it, even though it doesn't bear on the case at hand.