Only in America

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Only in America

Post by Svartalf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:04 am

laklak wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:03 pm
The "molon labe" sticker in the fake ancient Greek script is about guns, it roughly translates as "come and take them". Reportedly said by Leonidas of Sparta to the Persians when they demanded the Spartans disarm.
why do you say fake? it's perfectly correct Greek, I have a couple t shirts with that on them, coming straight from Athens.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:55 am

Hermit wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:36 pm
Tero wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:42 pm
I thought they just had spears and poison, Greeks. Arrows at best, not even the crossbow.
The Spartans had no bows and arrows. They regarded them as cowards' weapons.
And slings? David and Goliath.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:04 am
why do you say fake? it's perfectly correct Greek, I have a couple t shirts with that on them, coming straight from Athens.
I was thinking it was supposed to be ancient Greek, which should be μολὼν λαβέ.

The Spartans were masters of the laconic response. My favorites were to Phillip II. When he asked Sparta if he should come as friend or foe, they replied "Neither". He then said "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city." They replied "If".
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Oh, I see, printing capitals instead of normal cursive, and yeah, the accents are missing.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Tero wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:33 am

DALLAS—Insisting that every law enforcement official in America would have done the exact same thing if put in her situation, Dallas officer Amber Guyger claimed Monday that anyone could have mistaken a black man’s apartment for a dangerous firearm. “Listen, when your instincts kick in and your adrenaline is pumping, it’s easy to get confused—unfortunately, when you’re not sure if you’re looking at a furnished one-bedroom apartment or a deadly weapon, you have to err on the side of caution,” said the Dallas police officer now accused of manslaughter for shooting a black man in his own residence, explaining that she reacted in self-defense when the man appeared to be in possession of a firearm that turned out to be a three-piece living room set. “You have to be careful. The door handle, the coffee table, the throw pillows—if any of those things had been guns, it would have been very risky. Everyone always says they’d do things differently, but you never really know until you’re in the heat of the moment, facing a huge array of home décor. I just had to follow my gut.” At press time, Guyger had reportedly received an outpouring of support from hundreds of other police officers who had previously confused unarmed black people for large human-shaped guns.
https://www.theonion.com/defiant-dallas ... 1828942372

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Guns, cell phones, bananas, apartments. It is all the same. If the black man is holding something, shoot him!

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Black men holding a banana?
that's waisis.gif
that's waisis.gif (159.27 KiB) Viewed 2426 times

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:12 pm

I don't think it was an accident. But she made sure we'll never know what really happened.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Analysis of the "accident"

1. She ended her shift & returned to the CORRECT police department
2. She clocked out using the CORRECT time clock
3. She retrieved her CORRECT belongings from the CORRECT locker
4. She went to the CORRECT parking lot & retrieved her CORRECT car using the CORRECT set of keys
5. She then drove .2 miles on the CORRECT side of the street using CORRECT hand & eye coordination & observing all CORRECT traffic laws
6. She turns her car into the CORRECT apt building............ Wait For It....NEXT IS WHERE THEY WANT US TO BELIEVE AN ACUTE ONSET OF BLINDNESS & AMMESIA TOOK PLACE
7. She is now CONFUSED & parks on the WRONG garage floor on the WRONG side of the building
8.She gets out of the CORRECT car & locks the doors with the CORRECT keys & takes her CORRECT personal belongings.
9. She takes the stairs &/or elevator to the WRONG FLOOR
10. With her eyes open (The same ones used in the preceeding events & she used all day) She walks to the WRONG apt door
11. At this door is a RED DOORMAT that she has never seen before & located on the side of the door is where the apt number can be visualized( Sorry I forgot she went blind)
12. According to different reports she either A. Bangs & yells on the WRONG door because her CORRECT keys won't open the WRONG door & Mr. Botham answers the door & is shot.
B. Stated WRONG door was UNLOCKED & she enters the WRONG dark apt and SUDDENLY REGAINS HER SIGHT & sees an unknown male & fires her police issued weapon at suspect striking him in the chest
13. At this point she turns on the light & realizes she is in the WRONG APT & shot the WRONG PERSON
14. She regains her vision & calls 911 (It has not been reported that she began CPR on Mr. Bonham)
15. EMS & police arrive in 4 minutes and per a video taken by a tenant & posted on social media said officer can be seen pacing hallways & talking on phone (family? lawyer?)
16. EMS is seen providing CPR to Mr. Bonham who is subsequently taken to & pronounced dead at a local Dallas Hospital
17. Officer sleeps in a comfortable bed & remains free without charges for 3 days because this has been described to the public as " A VERY SPECIAL CASE" 18. Mr. Bontham is placed on a cold slab in the coroner's morgue as his family flys thousands of miles from St. Lucia to identify their beloved son & brother's body
19. 72 hrs later officer is charged with manslaughter in the death of Mr. Bonham & posts 10% of the $300K bail is back home with her family
20. Mr. Bonham's family prepares to bury him on Thursday.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Blue lives matter, and don't you ever motherfucking forget it.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:12 pm

She's been arrested, and is being prosecuted.

We don't just take accused criminals out back and shoot them here. She's going to be tried, and likely convicted. What do you want to have happen?

Blue lives do matter. However, criminal cops should be prosecuted and convicted and given the full measure of justice. This is not an either/or thing. This whole idea of collective justice and injustice is really part of today's problematic zeitgeist. The issue isn't whether every cop is good or bad or matters - all they're lives matter, just like all black lives matter - but the ones that commit crimes need to be prosecuted and when found guilty, convicted and sentenced.

What's the controversy?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Is the irritation because she wasn't arrested for 3 days?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 pm

The irritation is likely with her attempted rationalization of what she did, trying to get out of criminal responsibility. Her story sounds rather dicey and dubious. But, it's not really all that surprising that a criminal defendant would try to come up with something that minimizes his or her fault in the matter.

I wasn't there! It was a mistake! An accident! He did it! He made me do it!

We'll see what happens, but her story sounds like horseshit to me. I bet dollars to donuts that an investigator will find something fishy in the background relationship between these two.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:50 am

Onion turns into reality:
.... echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prev ... 1829032821

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:28 am

Novelist Who Penned 'How To Murder Your Husband' Essay Charged With Husband's Murder.

He was a chef, so it's only fitting that the foul deed was perpetrated in the state of Oregano.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould