Only in America

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Only in America

Post by laklak » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 pm

Fucking expensive, from all accounts.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:41 am

laklak wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 pm
My wife had 12 grand aunts and uncles of one Irish family who emigrated there in the late 1800's. They all lived together in one house except one grand aunt who married a night club owner. All the men joined Frisco's finest. None produced off-spring and that branch died out. Weird.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:53 pm

My great grandfather's family moved from Herefordshire to Sutton Coldfield shortly before the great war. He was conscripted and shipped out two days after his nuptials in 1916 and never got to meet my grandmother. Weird.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:43 am

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press ... statistics
By violent crime offense, the arrest rate for murder and nonnegligent manslaughter was 3.8 per 100,000 inhabitants
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:00 am

laklak wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 pm
True these days, but a couple of decades ago it was possible to enjoy life in SF at a relatively reasonable price--worth every penny. There's rent control, which helps some of the long term residents.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:15 pm

Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:15 pm

:bored:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:37 pm

Surprised? What amazes me is the continued reference to "American democracy" which of course has never existed.

America is now in fascism’s legal phase
The history of racism in the US is fertile ground for fascism. Attacks on the courts, education, the right to vote and women’s rights are further steps on the path to toppling democracy

“Let us be reminded that before there is a final solution, there must be a first solution, a second one, even a third. The move toward a final solution is not a jump. It takes one step, then another, then another.”

So began Toni Morrison’s 1995 address to Howard University, entitled Racism and Fascism, which delineated 10 step-by-step procedures to carry a society from first to last.

Morrison’s interest was not in fascist demagogues or fascist regimes. It was rather in “forces interested in fascist solutions to national problems”. The procedures she described were methods to normalize such solutions, to “construct an internal enemy”, isolate, demonize and criminalize it and sympathizers to its ideology and their allies, and, using the media, provide the illusion of power and influence to one’s supporters.

Morrison saw, in the history of US racism, fascist practices – ones that could enable a fascist social and political movement in the United States.

If you want to topple a democracy, you take over the courts. Donald Trump lost the popular vote to Hillary Clinton in 2016 by almost 3m votes, and yet has appointed one-third of supreme court, three youthful far-right judges who will be spending decades there. The Roberts court has for more than a decade consistently enabled an attack on democracy, by hollowing out the Voting Rights Act over time, unleashing unlimited corporate money into elections, and allowing clearly partisan gerrymanders of elections. There is every reason to believe that the court will allow even the semblance of democracy to crumble, as long as laws are passed by gerrymandered Republican statehouses that make anti-democratic practices, including stealing elections, legal.

There has been a growing fascist social and political movement in the United States for decades. Like other fascist movements, it is riddled with internal contradictions, but no less of a threat to democracy. Donald Trump is an aspiring autocrat out solely for his own power and material gain. By giving this movement a classically authoritarian leader, Trump shaped and exacerbated it, and his time in politics has normalized it.

Donald Trump has shown others what is possible. But the fascist movement he now leads preceded him, and will outlive him. As Toni Morrison warned, it feeds off ideologies with deep roots in American history. It would be a grave error to think it cannot ultimately win.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:51 pm

I only joined ze Party for business reasons.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:47 pm

laklak wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:51 pm
I only joined ze Party for business reasons.
That is your story. :smug:

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:23 pm

Hiker dies, not sure if tied for 13 for the year:
The Boucher Trail is described as a difficult one best left to experienced canyon hikers.

The most recent visitor death reported in Grand Canyon National Park this year occurred in August, when a 48-year-old Oregon man fell while on hike in the Deer Creek Narrows area.

In all of 2020, there were 13 deaths in the park, according to park statistics.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ar ... m=news_tab

On average, about 11 people die per year in the Grand Canyon.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:38 pm

seriously? if the place is that dangerous, why is it open to the public? I mean, at least, the areas where people have accidents (or should one call them get their Darwin awards?)
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:30 pm

Why do they keep the Alps open,
At least 35 people have died in avalanches — including the Saturday's victims — since the start of the 2020-21 season, according to the National Association for the Study of Snow and Avalanches (ANENA).
It's easy enough to slip and fall on the Grand Canyon trails. Bright Angel not so much but that one is heart attack central.

We did it up and down in a day - one trail down the other up ...hardest physical thing I've ever done and the other trail there were numerous narrow spots where a fall could happen. The South Kaibob we started down at a few degrees above freezing in March, it was north of 25-28 at the bottom but the river was cold so you could pick a spot a meter from the river and be in a perfect 18-20C temp zone

https://www.google.com/maps/search/gran ... 367284,13z

South Kaibab Trail: The trail begins on the South Rim near Yaki Point, and descends to the Colorado River. Elevation change from rim to river is 4860 ft (1480 m), along a 6.3 mile (10.1 km) trail.

Bright Angel Trail: The trail begins on the South Rim just west of Kolb Studio, and descends to the Colorado River. Elevation change from rim to river is 4460 ft (1360 m), along a 7.8 mile (12.6 km) trail. This trail passes through Indian Garden.
The park makes a good income rescuing hikers that underestimate the climb .....Bright Angel lulls you as you wind through Indian Gardens up from the river then about 2/3 of the way up you hit 30+ degree inclines.
I can vividly see that rim even now 50 years late as we crested and flopped on the grass. Some spots steep enough to use hands to help. The S Kaibob considerably more difficult as shorter and steeper.
When considering distance and elevation loss/gain, the steepest part of the Bright Angel Trail is the last 1.6 miles which sees the biggest elevation change. To put things in perspective, the Bright Angel Trail is steeper and a longer hike then the final summit on a Kilimanjaro hike.
I was surprised when my then wife admitted about 8 years ago that it was also the hardest she'd ever done even tho she's run marathons and climbed a S American mountain of notable height. I bought her a Bright Angel T-shirt as when we climbed it in the 70s there was not much commercialization in the park and we were poor anyways.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:44 pm

Point to you, so I guess people should be left free to pursue their Darwin award, and rescue should be defunded so as not to interfere.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:00 pm

We did it one day down and one up, around Easter. Camped in tents. There is limited water available, so most near emergencies are dehydrated people.

My daughter was about 12 so my son carried more gear than the rest of us.