Is this an actual gun?

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Is this an actual gun?

Post by Robert_S » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:47 am

So, there's this song I kinda like and I was wondering if the pistol described actually might exist. And if it does exist, what might it look like.

Here are the lyrics:

Inspect the silver inlay and the finely engraved steel
Rich carved ivory grips with checkered lines that you can feel
You’ll find it premature to call the calibre obsolete
When olden tyme design and modern treacherous-ness meet

A curio that’s slipped between our current laws, as read
Priceless as an artifact but leaves you just as dead
Craftsmanship like this is not displayed much anymore
And there ain’t too many gangstas shooting Russian .44

To think a learned chronicler like you would be the one
Whose eye for detail failed to see him dusting off your gun
You must be the first in ninety years to meet his death
By way of antique archaic black powder pistol’s breath

Despite your recent injuries you must admit that still
It remains an elegant and stylish way to kill
Yes despite my injuries, good sir, I cannot lie
It remains an elegant and stylish and way to die

Corb Lund

Nicked from:http://corblund.com/lyrics/

Trigger warning: Yodelling.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Gallstones
Supreme Absolute And Exclusive Ruler Of The World
About me: A fleck on a flake on a speck.

Re: Is this an actual gun?

Post by Gallstones » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:20 am

There is such a gun, a revolver .44 S&W Russian, is a black-powder center-fire metallic revolver cartridge developed by Smith & Wesson in 1870. The .44 Russian design marked the first use of an internally lubricated bullet in modern firearm ammunition. (according to Wiki)

From my copy of Cartridges of the World 13th Edition
.44 Smith and Wesson Russian is a cartidge made for a Russian model military revolver in 1870.
A civilian single action model began production in 1878 by Colt. It was copied by the German manufacturer Ludwig Loewe.

It was originally loaded with black powder and was the favorite hand gun of Buffalo Bill Cody. It was considered very accurate and reliable and was popular. The cartridge was made obsolete by the .44 S&W Special that used smokeless powder.

Any revolver chambered for .44 Special or .44 Magnum will shoot .44 Russian.
According to the National Firearms Act of 1986, any firearm manufactured prior to 1898 and not designed to use rimfire or centerfire ammunition is exempt from FFL background checks. That's why he says "...slipped between our current laws."

But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:35 am

And those fetch a pretty penny I suppose.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 am

From my other reference book: Ammo and Ballistics 5 For Hunters, Shooters and Collectors Fifth Edition

They refer to the cartridge as an "old dog" and say it is still around because it is used in Cowboy Action events.
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:41 am

A curio that’s slipped between our current laws
I'd just add to this, that in Canada (I don't know about the various laws in the various states of the USA) a firearm that is older than.. 100 years I think .. does not require a license to possess or any legality of any kind. Might explain that lyric.

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:41 am

Robert_S wrote:And those fetch a pretty penny I suppose.
Not neccessarily. I don't know what the demand would be. You can't reload the cartidges, you have to trim .44 Special cartridges (cut them shorter). The book says there are two manufacturers of commercial rounds. I expect a person into Cowboy shooting would be able to buy ammunition at events.

I have some auction catalogs. I'll have a look and see if there are any offered in the auction and what the asking prices are.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 am

Făkünamę wrote:
A curio that’s slipped between our current laws
I'd just add to this, that in Canada (I don't know about the various laws in the various states of the USA) a firearm that is older than.. 100 years I think .. does not require a license to possess or any legality of any kind. Might explain that lyric.
The songwriter is a Canadian, but still a bit of a redneck. Clever of him to find a lyric that applies in both countries.
-Mr P

Audley Strange

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:46 am

Gallstones wrote:
Not neccessarily. I don't know what the demand would be. You can't reload the cartidges, you have to trim .44 Special cartridges (cut them shorter). The book says there are two manufacturers of commercial rounds. I expect a person into Cowboy shooting would be able to buy ammunition at events.

I have some auction catalogs. I'll have a look and see if there are any offered in the auction and what the asking prices are.
In the title, it is described as "priceless" and in the song, the owner of the pistol gets shot, presumably for the gun itself.
-Mr P

Audley Strange

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:00 am

Robert_S wrote:
Gallstones wrote:

In the title, it is described as "priceless" and in the song, the owner of the pistol gets shot, presumably for the gun itself.
I love a happy ending...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:17 am

JimC wrote:
Robert_S wrote:
Gallstones wrote:

I love a happy ending...
Or at least an elegant and stylish one!

To tell the truth I'm not directly curious about the gun itself, but I kinda wanted to be sure that a musician that I like isn't talking out his ass in a song.
-Mr P

Audley Strange

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:31 pm

The price range is ~$800 to $2000.

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:57 pm

From my Rock Island Auction catalog, current sale.
SW Model 3 Russian. Estimate value $3500 to $4700+
SWModel3Russian.JPG
There are others with values of $14k to $19K, some as low as $1500.

So I guess they come dear.

jaydot

Post by jaydot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 pm

i imagine that could be printed out on a 3d printer so everyone could have one. it is pretty.
open source the world.

Mallardz
Definitely not Even Liam!

Post by Mallardz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Problem with 3D printers is material compatibility. There won't ever be a printed object as fine as an original.
Ratz it's more addictive than facebook and more fun than crack!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:17 pm

They are pretty, and the .44 Russian was a great advance in cartridge design. They're also pretty darned expensive (for the antiques, not the reproductions). Still a decent cartridge though; it packs a wallop slightly less than a .45ACP.