Obama is thoroughly pissed off over the senate decision

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Gallstones
Supreme Absolute And Exclusive Ruler Of The World
About me: A fleck on a flake on a speck.

Re: Obama is thoroughly pissed off over the senate decision

Post by Gallstones » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 am

The Failure of the ‘Stop the NRA’ March Illustrates the Sharp Decline in Support for Gun Control
Where were you on Thursday[04.25.13]? Did you make it to the “Stop the NRA” march in DC? No? Don’t worry; nobody else did either.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. They might be right. Judging by the pictures from Thursday’s Stop the NRA march, the call for gun control has diminished to a whisper of what it was even just a few months ago.

The event was sponsored by Public Campaign, Occupy the NRA, CREDO, Every Child Matters, Moveon, United For Change, USA, New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, The Other 98%, and We Act Radio and was meant to recapture the enthusiasm for anti-gun legislation.

If we compare Thursday’s march with the one in DC in January, it serves as a perfect illustration as to the grace from which the anti-gunners have fallen. In January, thousands marched in opposition to our Second Amendment rights. Many held signs demanding that Congress ban “assault weapons.” 100 residents of Newtown traveled to the protest. On Thursday, less than that showed up for the rally total.

This is hardly a scientific analysis of support for gun control; it is merely an observation. President Obama continually tried to shame Americans with an odd brand of peer pressure. He repeated over and over again that 90% of Americans supported gun control.

If that’s true, where’s the outrage? Where are the masses filling the street, outraged at Congress for being unable to pass gun control legislation? According to Obama, nine out of ten people are disappointed but yet, we hear virtually nothing. According to the frequently-cited stat, nine out of ten people should be outraged. But less than 100 people could gather in the nation’s capital to protest and share that outrage.
  • :hilarious:
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:40 am

Dick’s Sales, Stocks Drop Following Black Gun Ban
Following the Newtown shooting spree, Dick’s Sporting Goods changed their policy and stopped selling AR-pattern and other semi-automatic, magazine-fed rifles, even the guns they had already sold [they canceled the orders].

At a time where the only thing a company has to do to sell firearms, ammo and accessories is to unlock their doors, Dick’s sales have flat-lined. In fact, their sales dropped 2.2 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012 compared to 2011 and their shares 10 percent in the last quarter.

But other sporting goods stores are not feeling the pinch despite the ammo drought. In fact, Cabela’s is doing better than ever and investors have been quick to point out that it’s because of their strong gun sales.

“Cabela’s Inc. stock closed up more than 16 percent, among leading gainers on the New York Stock Exchange, and hit a 52-week high Thursday after reporting strong financial results above the market’s and the company’s expectations.”

Gun sales accounted for almost two-thirds of Cabela’s gains, with their sales up by 24 percent over last year.
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:35 am

G.. what happened to you?

This kind of unilateral rubbish isn't characteristic of the person I knew. Absurd characterization of your opposition was never in your nature. Neither was smug gloating mockery.

Collector1337
About me: I am a satire of your stereotype about me.

Post by Collector1337 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:15 am

Făkünamę wrote:G.. what happened to you?

This kind of unilateral rubbish isn't characteristic of the person I knew. Absurd characterization of your opposition was never in your nature. Neither was smug gloating mockery.
I can't speak for GS, but for me, this is a very important issue.

Since I have defended my life with a firearm, and would be dead, not typing this right now if I had not had a firearm, so I take the issue pretty seriously.

Every victory should be celebrated.

My convictions are stronger and I will fight harder than any anti-gun moron. I take being able to have the proper tool to defend my life and my family's lives very seriously. Honestly, it's pretty hilarious watching people willing give up the best tool to defend yourself. I don't consider that taking your survival very seriously.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:46 pm

The internet is Flatland. There are no persons in Flatland, only characters filling roles playing a game with information.
No one knows me, I'm a concept, an idea of a thing.

This game is a fight, and I'm in it.
I come to places like rationalia to fight the good fight. I do my networking elsewhere.
No apologies.

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:58 pm

New Law – Guns Bought in Arizona Buybacks CANNOT Be Destroyed, Will be Sold to Public
Arizona Governor Jan Brewer signed into law yesterday a bill that would make the destruction of guns bought through government organizaed buybacks illegal.

The wording of the new law requires that whenever a government sponsored gun buyback takes place the guns acquired must be publicly auctioned off, just like every other piece of non-evidence property.
Any guns bought will be sold at public auction, but only federally licensed firearms dealers will be permitted to purchase the firearms. Those dealers can then sell the firearms to the general public following the same laws and regulations for normal gun sales.

Obviously, anti gun Democrats prohibitionists were not happy about the measure.

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Cuomo’s numbers are on a downward slide with upstate voters
Cuomo blames his falling poll numbers among upstate voters on the gun control law he quickly pushed through the Legislature in January, but the tiny town of Prattsville can serve as a reminder to any politician that popularity can be fleeting.

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 pm

PBS.org Congressional Action on Guns Poll results
A self selected informal survey--from a liberal site.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Yes by all means! Your right to own guns is of course far more important than protecting children from them. Rights after all trump everything.

Collector1337
About me: I am a satire of your stereotype about me.

Post by Collector1337 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Rum wrote:Yes by all means! Your right to own guns is of course far more important than protecting children from them. Rights after all trump everything.
LOL! THE CHILDREN! JUST THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

How pathetic.

What's your solution? Ban all guns for "the children?"
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Collector1337 wrote:
Rum wrote:Yes by all means! Your right to own guns is of course far more important than protecting children from them. Rights after all trump everything.
LOL! THE CHILDREN! JUST THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

How pathetic.

What's your solution? Ban all guns for "the children?"
Yes. Guns are very bad. They are designed to kill people. We should get rid of all of them. All of them. Like I means ALL.

Unless of course you are in favour of killing people. In which case I don't like you.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Rum,

Isn't Gallstones' position that it's safer for people have guns, or at least not any less safe? They seem to be suggesting that that the the guns are to be used for self-defense and such. And, in some cases people have saved their lives and the lives of others with them. Would you feel it proper on their part to cast your argument as it being far more important to ban guns than let people save their children's lives from criminals?

...seems an unproductive line of argumentation.

Guns aren't just for killing people, by the way. They are also used for killing animals for food, and the US is not a small country. We have vast tracts of land with people living on them in remote areas. Guns are a useful tool there, and it's not feasible to get rid of "all" guns. That is a simplistic notion, born of a myopia that comes from thinking everyone lives or ought to live like you do.
Last edited by Coito ergo sum on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 pm

I decline to discuss this issue further.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:47 pm

On this issue, you tend to scoff and mock, not discuss.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Făkünamę wrote:G.. what happened to you?

Probably has something to do with having to rebut the same old anti-gun crap endlessly while the hopolophobes refuse to even engage the debate honestly.

How many times have I pointed out to BG that one's civil rights are not a matter of statistical analysis without his so much as responding?

Dozens, if not hundreds.

Gun-banners are idiots who have narrow crevices substituting for minds and it's utterly useless to try to honestly debate them or attempt to convince them of anything other than their blind, mindless hatred of gun owners and advocates. I know I'm fed up with it, which is why I don't put the effort into my posts that I used to. The only reason to respond at all is to make sure that the lies they tell don't go unchallenged, for the benefit of the lurkers in the forum...and the credulous newbies who might think they have a point if no one disagrees with their idiocy.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.