Another shot at the case against gnus

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Re: Another shot at the case against gnus

Post by Seth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:25 am

Hermit wrote:Correlation is not causation. :levi:
Ah, but not-causation is probative. In other words, the negative correlation between firearms proliferation and dropping crime rates disproves the hoplophobe claim of "more guns, more crime."

If the anti-gun propaganda were even remotely true, the US would have seen a massive INCREASE in crime associated with guns as a result. We didn't.

Ipso facto, your side loses.

More guns, less crime, whether the cause is more guns or not, the effects are undeniable.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:26 am

piscator wrote:Bottom line: Obama=more guns+less crime
Well, yes, Obama is the greatest gun salesman of all time, that is true. Although I don't think he want's the kudos for that.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:14 am

Seth wrote:More guns, less crime, whether the cause is more guns or not, the effects are undeniable.
If more guns are not the cause of less crime, one cannot validly say that less crime is an effect of more guns.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

piscator

Post by piscator » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:24 am

Seth wrote:
Well, yes, Obama is the greatest gun salesman of all time, that is true. Although I don't think he want's the kudos for that.
It doesn't matter. Democrat Obama has delivered less crime and more guns.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:31 am

Hermit wrote:
Seth wrote:More guns, less crime, whether the cause is more guns or not, the effects are undeniable.
If more guns are not the cause of less crime, one cannot validly say that less crime is an effect of more guns.
True, but what one can say is that more guns do not cause more crime, as has been maintained by anti-gun zealots for decades as an excuse and rationalization for banning guns.

This fact being unequivocally true, the argument that guns need to be banned or controlled more closely than they are now in order to prevent (or even reduce) crime is, as we all now know, entirely specious and false.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:32 am

piscator wrote:
Seth wrote:
Yup, and his job is done, so he should fuck off into the sunset right quick.

piscator

Post by piscator » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:43 am

Seth wrote:
piscator wrote:
Seth wrote:

According to the US Constitution, he still has a little over 2 more years to serve as the Crime Eliminator-in-Chief. That means our 2nd Amendment is safe for at least a couple more years! :cheer:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:38 am

Seth wrote:
Hermit wrote:
True
I bet you still maintain that more guns does equal less crime, though, don't you? Murder rate dropping, blah blah blah.

So let's look at that shall we? Would you agree that the drop in murder rates you so happily mention at the drop of a hat ought to be reflected in a commensurate increase in the rate of gun ownership? If so, would you please indicate how the following graph I found on a pro gun website demonstrates this? For the life of me I cannot see even a rough correlation between the ups and downs of the murder rate and the rise in gun ownership, let alone a causal link.

The graph should look familiar to you by now. I posted it on several occasions now, each time asking you the same question I just asked you again right now, but each time you totally ignored it. Fifth time lucky, perhaps?
Seth wrote:...but what one can say is that more guns do not cause more crime...
Guess what? I am well acquainted with statistics on the matter as they apply to Australia, and that is exactly what I found. So I agree. The gradients of murder, rape, other violent crimes and so forth should have changed or at least shown a distinct discontinuity in 1996/7 when the massive firearms buyback scheme that accompanied the new legislation drastically increasing limitations on gun ownership. With the exception of massacres not a single one did.

It must be noted, though, that our situation is not exactly the same as yours. Possession of sidearms has never been legal for the vast majority of Australians. I don't know if that would have made a difference one way or the other.

To end this post, please spare me your ideological claptrap about the need for well regulated militias to guard against tyranny by government. Australia has not come near one since its foundation on the firs of January 1901, and "until it does" is wearing a bit thin. Queensland's state government did get very close to becoming a tyranny. It was definitely well and truly on the way, what with assemblies of more than three people in public being made illegal and so forth, but it was not dealt with by spilling blood through armed resistance. After the spilling of a lot of ink, commissions of inquiry and other non-violent actions it was removed at the ballot box in 1987.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:55 pm

piscator wrote:
Seth wrote:
piscator wrote:
Seth wrote:

According to the US Constitution, he still has a little over 2 more years to serve as the Crime Eliminator-in-Chief. That means our 2nd Amendment is safe for at least a couple more years! :cheer:
Not really. We're one SC vote away from disaster and to let Obama replace another Supreme Court justice would be a crime against humanity. Let's just hope nobody dies or resigns before the new Congress comes into office, at which point that will be off the table.

And then there's his devious agenda involving the BATFE and administrative actions that infringe on our rights that's been going on for some time...

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:17 am

Hermit wrote:
Seth wrote:
Hermit wrote:
True
I bet you still maintain that more guns does equal less crime, though, don't you? Murder rate dropping, blah blah blah.

So let's look at that shall we?

Nice strawman attempt.
Would you agree that the drop in murder rates you so happily mention at the drop of a hat ought to be reflected in a commensurate increase in the rate of gun ownership?
Not necessarily. I wouldn't expect any tit-for-tat relationship because the effects of an armed citizenry on reducing crime may only show up after a critical mass of armed citizens is reached, which leads to behavioral changes in the criminal element.
If so, would you please indicate how the following graph I found on a pro gun website demonstrates this? For the life of me I cannot see even a rough correlation between the ups and downs of the murder rate and the rise in gun ownership, let alone a causal link.
I do. Quite clearly actually. As crime reached its peak in about 1994, the rising number of guns per 1000 persons passed roughly 85 percent. Combined with rapid changes in concealed carry laws that occurred between roughly 1985 and the end of your graph, 2002, the number of people actually carrying guns in public increased dramatically, and as we see, crime plummeted precipitously.

Under that analysis, correlation does indeed show causation. During the period from 1985 to the present the only things that changed substantially are the number of guns in society and the number of states that reformed their concealed carry laws, which resulted in many millions more people carrying guns in public, which had exactly the predicted effect on criminality, and which continues to have that same predicted effect.

The rest of your canard is disposed of by pointing out that Australia is a nation founded on gun control because its first immigrants were mostly criminals deported from the British Empire to a place thought to be so hostile to survival that they would inevitably die and no longer be a problem to Britain.

This resulted in an inbred servility to authority much like the mentality of slaves in the US prior to the Civil War, where all thought of rebellion was immediately crushed with overwhelming force in order that the government maintain power and control. One of Australia's most notable "heroes" is Ned Kelly, who was a petty criminal who ended up as a notorious outlaw for whom the law was changed to allow ANYONE to kill him on sight, something which could not happen today because none of the dumb fucks in Australia carry guns.
In response to these killings, the reward was raised to £500 and, on 31 October 1878, the Victorian parliament hastily passed the Felons' Apprehension Act, coming into effect on 1 November 1878, which outlawed the gang[72] and made it possible for anyone to shoot them: There was no need for the outlaws to be arrested or for there to be a trial upon apprehension. (The act was based on the 1865 act passed in New South Wales which declared Ben Hall and his gang outlaws.[73][74]) Source: Wikipedia
Of course it bears mentioning that one of the reasons Ned Kelly became a notorious outlaw and was eventually hanged was because the police and judicial system in Australia were notoriously corrupt and abusive of the citizenry.

So your notion that Australians don't need guns to put down a tyrant is, as usual, ignorant of historical facts. And yes, it is true that a society doesn't need guns to control government...until it does. Your faith in the power of the vote is naive and childish. Just ask the Jews at Auschwitz. Oh, wait, you can't, they are dead because they gave up their guns to Hitler on the promise that by doing so crime would be eliminated and the government would keep them safe.

QED.

piscator

Post by piscator » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:26 am

Seth wrote:
We're [Social Conservatives?] one SC vote away from disaster and to let Obama replace another Supreme Court justice would be a crime against humanity. Let's just hope nobody dies or resigns before the new Congress comes into office, at which point that will be off the table.

And then there's his devious agenda involving the BATFE and administrative actions that infringe on our rights that's been going on for some time...

Yeah, since Bush I, but who remembers that shit, huh? :roll:

I sure hope the Secret Service takes care of John Roberts a little better than they have Obama!

I 'spect the news will soon be filled with enough Republican hijinx and turpitude that the American electorate will have had a gutfull by the time they elect Hillary. :pop:

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:11 pm

idiot 1
9/08/14: A 20-year-old Mount Clemens man collapsed in the parking lot of Mount Clemens High School on Monday morning after he was accidentally shot in the back by a backseat passenger in the car he was driving, according to police and school officials. Police said the alleged shooter was in the back seat of the victim’s car when his weapon accidentally discharged and struck the driver. The driver continued on to Mount Clemens High School where his mother is employed. “The driver got out of the car and collapsed and the man with the gun ran off,”
idiot 2
FRESNO, CA, 9/08/14: Fresno police have arrested a 15-year-old on suspicion of shooting a friend and dropping him off at Community Regional Medical Center where he later died. The teenager was identified as the driver of a BMW X-5 who was involved in a hit-and-run traffic collision at Fresno and G streets on Sept. 8 before dropping his 16-year-old friend off at the hospital.
idiot 3..lucky!...all participants in road rage incident survive
CLEVELAND, OH, 9/11/14: A Cleveland man legally carrying a concealed weapon missed his intended target and struck another man when he opened fire during a road rage incident, police said. The 27-year-old suspect opened fire about 2:30 AM Thursday on the 1400 block of West 116th Street. According to Cleveland police: A Ford Focus was traveling on West 116th Street when the car ahead made an abrupt turn without using a turn signal and backed into his home's driveway. The Focus stopped and the three people inside -- a 19-year-old man, a 22-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman behind the wheel -- argued with the offending driver, a CCW permit holder. The trio in the Focus left after the argument, but soon returned. The 22-year-old passenger got out of the Focus and hurled a bottle at the permit holder's car, cracking the windshield. The permit holder shot at the man as he sprinted away. The shooter missed his target and struck the 19-year-old man sitting in the Focus' passenger seat. The victim was driven to MetroHealth Medical Center with gunshot wounds to his upper body and ankle. The shooter was arrested. No charges had been filed as of noon Thursday. A criminal damaging report was filed for the shooter's cracked windshield.
Narcotics agent...the man's entire life is useless. He could shoot himself and nobody would miss him.
NEW YORK, NY, 9/12/14: Cops swatted a .40-caliber Glock out of a drunken state narcotics agent’s hand Friday night after he shot two drinking buddies on the Upper West Side, authorities and witnesses said. Amsterdam Ave. erupted in gunfire and blood-curdling screams just after 9 PM when Victor Zambrano Jr., 49, shot a 31-year-old woman in the left foot and the woman’s 42-year-old boyfriend in the right calf during an argument over his weapon
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/0 ... nFAIL-LXXX
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:45 pm

Yeh but, they would have stabbed em, if they didn't have a gun.

Everybody knows that.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:10 am

Tero wrote:idiot 1
9/08/14: A 20-year-old Mount Clemens man collapsed in the parking lot of Mount Clemens High School on Monday morning after he was accidentally shot in the back by a backseat passenger in the car he was driving, according to police and school officials. Police said the alleged shooter was in the back seat of the victim’s car when his weapon accidentally discharged and struck the driver. The driver continued on to Mount Clemens High School where his mother is employed. “The driver got out of the car and collapsed and the man with the gun ran off,”
The shooter isn't an idiot, he's a criminal.
idiot 2
FRESNO, CA, 9/08/14: Fresno police have arrested a 15-year-old on suspicion of shooting a friend and dropping him off at Community Regional Medical Center where he later died. The teenager was identified as the driver of a BMW X-5 who was involved in a hit-and-run traffic collision at Fresno and G streets on Sept. 8 before dropping his 16-year-old friend off at the hospital.
Another criminal.
idiot 3..lucky!...all participants in road rage incident survive
CLEVELAND, OH, 9/11/14: A Cleveland man legally carrying a concealed weapon missed his intended target and struck another man when he opened fire during a road rage incident, police said. The 27-year-old suspect opened fire about 2:30 AM Thursday on the 1400 block of West 116th Street. According to Cleveland police: A Ford Focus was traveling on West 116th Street when the car ahead made an abrupt turn without using a turn signal and backed into his home's driveway. The Focus stopped and the three people inside -- a 19-year-old man, a 22-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman behind the wheel -- argued with the offending driver, a CCW permit holder. The trio in the Focus left after the argument, but soon returned. The 22-year-old passenger got out of the Focus and hurled a bottle at the permit holder's car, cracking the windshield. The permit holder shot at the man as he sprinted away. The shooter missed his target and struck the 19-year-old man sitting in the Focus' passenger seat. The victim was driven to MetroHealth Medical Center with gunshot wounds to his upper body and ankle. The shooter was arrested. No charges had been filed as of noon Thursday. A criminal damaging report was filed for the shooter's cracked windshield.
Unlawful use of deadly force. Yet another criminal.
Narcotics agent...the man's entire life is useless. He could shoot himself and nobody would miss him.
NEW YORK, NY, 9/12/14: Cops swatted a .40-caliber Glock out of a drunken state narcotics agent’s hand Friday night after he shot two drinking buddies on the Upper West Side, authorities and witnesses said. Amsterdam Ave. erupted in gunfire and blood-curdling screams just after 9 PM when Victor Zambrano Jr., 49, shot a 31-year-old woman in the left foot and the woman’s 42-year-old boyfriend in the right calf during an argument over his weapon
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/0 ... nFAIL-LXXX
[/quote]

More criminal activity.

But thanks for four examples of legally wrongful actions. Now, about the other 299,999,999 guns in America that are not used wrongfully....Your point is?

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:39 am

Criminals with concealed carry permits. 'Nough said. ;)