Merca.

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Re: Merca.

Post by Seth » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Collector1337 wrote:
piscator wrote:
Collector1337 wrote:
piscator wrote:
Collector1337 wrote:

AR-15s aren't "assault" rifles.

Not to devolve into semantic minutiae, but what does the "AR" in "AR-15" stand for?
A hilariously clueless question. I guess google is really hard to use.

Don't get defensive. I'm an Alaskan who doesn't pay much attention to little plastic toys.
I like my .375 though. More of a pusher than a kicker. Kind of loud, heavy, a little spendy to shoot, will kill the hell out of whatever you point it at - moose, bears, Freightliners, it don't give a fuck.

What do you do with an AR-type, besides buy lasers and lights 'n shit to hang off it? They suck balls for making meat. I figured it was house to house fighting, DAs, commando raids and shit... I hear you can drop $2500 putting together a nice .308 on an AR lower, MK11-style. With a custom load and a good gunsmith, it's supposed to shoot almost as well as a Model 77 from WalMart. What do serious badasses like you say? :naughty:
Well, as already stated, "AR" in AR-15 is short for "ArmaLite." The original manufacturer that Eugene Stoner, the inventor, worked for.

I think it's funny when people ask the question, "What do you do with an AR, anyway?"

In a word... everything.

People have their biases, preferences, and opinions about firearms, just like anything else. I have a .357 too, it's a Ruger GP100.

A better question is what can't an AR do. You want to hunt with it? Then use a 77gr BTHP round with a proper twist barrel. If it's for deer, you don't even need that. Any non-FMJ round is good enough.

Yeah, you can certainly put together a .308 AR, but for $2500? It's way cheaper than that. $2500 for a gold plated one perhaps.

You never need a gunsmith for an AR... ever. That's part of the beauty of an AR. Or, custom hand loads either.
Or slap a new upper on it and shoot .300 Blackout or 6.5 SPC or 6.5 Grendel, or .50 Beowulf or any of a dozen other large-bore wildcat cartridges that can feed through a standard AR-15 lower.

Ultimate adaptability and instant caliber change. Pop two pins, throw on the new upper, pop the pins back in, change mags and you're good to go.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Seth wrote:The term "assault rifle" or "assault weapon" has been misapplied to the AR-15 and other semi-automatic sporting rifles which LOOK LIKE military full-auto versions quite deliberately by the hoplophobes and anti-gunners. It's done as a part of good old fashion Marxist Big Lie tactics;
Fail. You left out the following mandatory expressions: Alinsky, sheeple, crypto-communist, useful idiot, you lose.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

piscator

Post by piscator » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:11 pm

Collector1337 wrote:
piscator wrote:
Collector1337 wrote:
piscator wrote:
Collector1337 wrote:

AR-15s aren't "assault" rifles.

Not to devolve into semantic minutiae, but what does the "AR" in "AR-15" stand for?
A hilariously clueless question. I guess google is really hard to use.

Don't get defensive. I'm an Alaskan who doesn't pay much attention to little plastic toys.
I like my .375 though. More of a pusher than a kicker. Kind of loud, heavy, a little spendy to shoot, will kill the hell out of whatever you point it at - moose, bears, Freightliners, it don't give a fuck.

What do you do with an AR-type, besides buy lasers and lights 'n shit to hang off it? They suck balls for making meat. I figured it was house to house fighting, DAs, commando raids and shit... I hear you can drop $2500 putting together a nice .308 on an AR lower, MK11-style. With a custom load and a good gunsmith, it's supposed to shoot almost as well as a Model 77 from WalMart. What do serious badasses like you say? :naughty:
Well, as already stated, "AR" in AR-15 is short for "ArmaLite." The original manufacturer that Eugene Stoner, the inventor, worked for.

I think it's funny when people ask the question, "What do you do with an AR, anyway?"

In a word... everything.

People have their biases, preferences, and opinions about firearms, just like anything else. I have a .357 too, it's a Ruger GP100.

I said .375. As in .375 H&H Magnum. As in 300-gr Barnes bonded bullet @ 2650fps for 4600lbs of energy @ 100 yards. Not a fucking revolver.

A better question is what can't an AR do. You want to hunt with it? Then use a 77gr BTHP round with a proper twist barrel. If it's for deer, you don't even need that. Any non-FMJ round is good enough.
A 77-gr bullet for deer? You don't know Jack Shit about hunting, do you? Next time I see a deer limping from a shot off foot, I'll think of you.

Yeah, you can certainly put together a .308 AR, but for $2500? It's way cheaper than that. $2500 for a gold plated one perhaps.
I'd like to be able to use it for something besides something to shoot at the range while my good barrels cool. I sight in with a cold barrel so my first shot counts.

You never need a gunsmith for an AR... ever. That's part of the beauty of an AR. Or, custom hand loads either.
I have a .308 my Dad built. Pre-64 action. Shilen barrel. Hand checkered full international stock in Turkish walnut. Unertl scope. Double set trigger. I'd have been pissed if he left me a folding Bic lighter with a laser rail.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:31 pm

piscator wrote: I have a .308 my Dad built. Pre-64 action. Shilen barrel. Hand checkered full international stock in Turkish walnut. Unertl scope. Double set trigger. I'd have been pissed if he left me a folding Bic lighter with a laser rail.
I've got a Steyr Scout rifle in .308, and my grandfather's custom-made 1906 30-06 Springfield Sporter with original Zeiss scope that he used to hunt with in Africa on several occasions.

I also have a bunch of .223 AR patterns, a couple of SIG 556s in rifle and pistol configuration, an AR-10T in .308 that shoots inside 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards, a LaRue OBR that does the same, a Nemesis take-down rifle in .308, and a Sako TRG-42 in .338 Lapua, not to mention an original Parker 20ga. shotgun of grandpas.

Each rifle has a different purpose.

When you need a hammer, use a hammer. When you need a scalpel, use a scalpel.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

piscator

Post by piscator » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Seth wrote:
piscator wrote: I have a .308 my Dad built. Pre-64 action. Shilen barrel. Hand checkered full international stock in Turkish walnut. Unertl scope. Double set trigger. I'd have been pissed if he left me a folding Bic lighter with a laser rail.
I've got a Steyr Scout rifle in .308, and my grandfather's custom-made 1906 30-06 Springfield Sporter with original Zeiss scope that he used to hunt with in Africa on several occasions.

I also have a bunch of .223 AR patterns, a couple of SIG 556s in rifle and pistol configuration, an AR-10T in .308 that shoots inside 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards, a LaRue OBR that does the same, a Nemesis take-down rifle in .308, and a Sako TRG-42 in .338 Lapua, not to mention an original Parker 20ga. shotgun of grandpas.

So why do you need "a bunch of" rifles made to shoot combatants in the leg with GC-compliant rounds? Short answer: you don't. You just like them because they spray little rinkydink bullets everywhere and there's a place to mount a laser.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:49 pm

piscator wrote:
Seth wrote:

So why do you need "a bunch of" rifles made to shoot combatants in the leg with GC-compliant rounds? Short answer: you don't. You just like them because they spray little rinkydink bullets everywhere and there's a place to mount a laser.
It's not a "Bill of Needs" it's a "Bill of Rights." I'm not required to justify why I want to keep and bear any sort of arms, that's the point of the 2nd Amendment...the government is forbidden from infringing on that right.

And if they are such "rindydink" rifles why are all the hoplophobes so intent on banning them? Could it be because they are actually very effective combat weapons? :think:

Besides, combine an IR laser with a pair of NVGs and it's death to pigs! That's why I have the 6.5 SPC upper, specifically for pig hunting.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:17 am

Hell yeah!

Fuck the pigs!
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

piscator

Post by piscator » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:27 am

Seth wrote:
piscator wrote:
Seth wrote:
It's not a "Bill of Needs" it's a "Bill of Rights." I'm not required to justify why I want to keep and bear any sort of arms, that's the point of the 2nd Amendment...the government is forbidden from infringing on that right.
YeahIknow.
You're the one who brought up that you need "a bunch of" guns designed to do DAs and commando raids 'n shit. I said you don't - You just had them because they spray bullets and mount lasers. Be honest. There's nothing wrong with fantasizing you're Sgt Rock, even at your age.

piscator

Post by piscator » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:54 am

Seth wrote: death to pigs!
I'm sure the barnyard trembles at your approach. Moving on, do you often find you need a quick followup shot on a charging 40-pounder? I knew a guy once who shot like that. I watched him empty an A5 on a savage wild turkey who was flopping around on the ground with a broken neck. After he ran out of shells, he cycled the bolt 3 times and clicked at that turkey. I'm like, "God Damn man, leave a little meat on him. He can't possibly get any deader."

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:09 am

piscator wrote:
Seth wrote:
piscator wrote:
Seth wrote:
YeahIknow.
You're the one who brought up that you need "a bunch of" guns designed to do DAs and commando raids 'n shit. I said you don't - You just had them because they spray bullets and mount lasers. Be honest. There's nothing wrong with fantasizing you're Sgt Rock, even at your age.
No, I didn't say I "needed" them, I said I HAVE them. And I don't "spray" bullets, I aim each and every one very carefully, which is why I don't own a machine gun.

They are also a good hedge against inflation. Although the market is down right now, during the peak of the Obamascare I traded a 1974 H&K 91 that's been sitting in my safe for decades, which I paid $250 for, for a brand-new LaRue OBR, which is $3370 retail. Pretty good savings account actually. Plus, you can shoot stuff with it while it's appreciating if you need to. Can't do that with a passbook.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:18 am

piscator wrote:
Seth wrote: death to pigs!
I'm sure the barnyard trembles at your approach.
Barnyard my ass, cupcake. There's about six MILLION feral hogs in the US, mostly in Texas and parts of the southeast. They cause billions of dollars worth of crop damage every year. A single herd of feral swine can do $80,000 damage to a corn crop in one night. In Texas you can hunt feral hogs day or night, rain or shine, 24/7, 365 days a year using ANY method of killing them you like, from archery to boar-spears to hunting knives to machine guns from helicopters. You don't even have to clean them and eat them (lots of nasty pork diseases anyway) though you can. They are considered pests and they can be dangerous when you're poking through the brush and weeds and stumble on a 400 pounder. Everybody I know carries a rife AND a pistol AND a fighting knife, particularly when we're out at night.

5.56 is marginal on bigger hogs, which is why I use the 6.8SPC. But you can substitute volume of fire for one-hit stops with an AR pattern rifle. Six or eight 5.56 usually does the job if one doesn't. And I carry a .45 pistol for backup.

We use thermal sights to find them and IR lasers and night vision to shoot them. On a good night you with four or five guys you can kill 30 pigs.
Moving on, do you often find you need a quick followup shot on a charging 40-pounder?
Not usually, but not infrequently on the 200 to 400 pounders. One mother in Arkansas I read about weighed in at over 1000 pounds on the hoof. You do NOT want to face one of the big boys with an empty mag thankyouverymuch.
I knew a guy once who shot like that. I watched him empty an A5 on a savage wild turkey who was flopping around on the ground with a broken neck. After he ran out of shells, he cycled the bolt 3 times and clicked at that turkey. I'm like, "God Damn man, leave a little meat on him. He can't possibly get any deader."
Buck fever.

And you know fuck-all about hunting feral hogs, so don't try to teach your grandaddy how to suck eggs.

C'mon over and we'll pop down to Dallas and go night pig hunting with night vision, lasers and suppressed machine guns. Lots of fun.

piscator

Post by piscator » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:23 am

Seth wrote:\

They are also a good hedge against inflation... Plus, you can shoot stuff...while it's appreciating if you need to. Can't do that with a passbook.

That's what they say about Hummel figurines.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:30 am

piscator wrote:
Seth wrote:\

They are also a good hedge against inflation... Plus, you can shoot stuff...while it's appreciating if you need to. Can't do that with a passbook.

That's what they say about Hummel figurines.

Last I heard even throwing a Hummel at someone does minimal damage. Whatever "they" say, I made 31% simple interest over 40 years on that gun. Pretty good return. Now, if it had been COMPOUND interest, I'd have $12,268,510.00, but I wouldn't have been able to enjoy recreating with my passbook.

And when greenbacks are worth zero, guns will be more valuable than most things, excepting perhaps ammunition...or potatoes, in part because you can always use them to shoot someone if the need arises. Throwing a passbook at someone is of even more marginal utility than throwing Hummel's.

Collector1337
About me: I am a satire of your stereotype about me.

Post by Collector1337 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:00 pm

piscator wrote:

I said .375. As in .375 H&H Magnum. As in 300-gr Barnes bonded bullet @ 2650fps for 4600lbs of energy @ 100 yards. Not a fucking revolver.
Don't get defensive. So, you like huge calibers. That's nice. I'm not into big calibers generally, due to the cost of ammo.
piscator wrote:A 77-gr bullet for deer? You don't know Jack Shit about hunting, do you? Next time I see a deer limping from a shot off foot, I'll think of you.
I've never wounded and let get away anything I've ever hunted. I've dropped a deer with a 55gr so this idea that it's not enough to hunt with is pure bullshit.

piscator wrote:I'd like to be able to use it for something besides something to shoot at the range while my good barrels cool. I sight in with a cold barrel so my first shot counts.
Why would you only be able to use it at the range? Barrels cooling? Huh? For what? Why would they be so hot in the first place?
piscator wrote:I have a .308 my Dad built. Pre-64 action. Shilen barrel. Hand checkered full international stock in Turkish walnut. Unertl scope. Double set trigger. I'd have been pissed if he left me a folding Bic lighter with a laser rail.
My dad left me some stuff too. Of course, no ARs for obvious reasons. Serious collector value is nice, but your mostly talking about personal preference, which is subjective opinion and a very much "to each his own" kind of thing.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Collector1337 wrote:
piscator wrote:

Don't get defensive. So, you like huge calibers. That's nice. I'm not into big calibers generally, due to the cost of ammo.
Holy crap yes! I went shopping for .338 Lapua Magnum loads the other day and a 20 round box was $119.

And .308 surplus crap from Venezuela goes for a buck a round.

I'm headed to the range today to sight in and dope my Nemesis Vanquish. I bought a thousand rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr at Knob Creek this spring for a buck a round and need to get the rifle set up properly. I haven't been able to do a proper doping since I bought it because of the cost.
piscator wrote:A 77-gr bullet for deer? You don't know Jack Shit about hunting, do you? Next time I see a deer limping from a shot off foot, I'll think of you.
I've never wounded and let get away anything I've ever hunted. I've dropped a deer with a 55gr so this idea that it's not enough to hunt with is pure bullshit.
People hunt whitetails back east with .223 all the time. Out west here the minimum caliber is .240, so .243 Winchester is the smallest you can use on mule deer, and elk requires a minimum of 1000 ft/lbs of terminal force, which means small bullets at extremely high velocity or bigger, heavier rounds. I think .308/7.62 NATO is marginal and requires good marksmanship skills. Most elk hunters use a magnum round of some sort above .30 caliber.

Technically you can't "hunt" small game or varmints during big-game season with anything larger than .22, which makes .223 illegal, unless you have an unfilled big game license for the unit you're hunting in. I have a .22-250 set up for winter coyote hunting for that reason. But target shooting is exempt, though if you're in the field (not at a range) during big game season and a DOW ranger catches you it's "prima facia" evidence you're hunting merely being in the field with a rifle.
piscator wrote:I'd like to be able to use it for something besides something to shoot at the range while my good barrels cool. I sight in with a cold barrel so my first shot counts.
Why would you only be able to use it at the range? Barrels cooling? Huh? For what? Why would they be so hot in the first place?
Shooting for zero or for dope heats any barrel up quickly. Cold-bore zero is essential for first-shot accuracy. It can take all day, or several days to get a good cold-bore zero because you have to let the barrel cool to ambient temp completely after firing one round. It's an exercise in patience to shoot one round an hour to confirm a cold-bore zero. I always check cold-bore zero with my first shot at the range. It's like breakfast, it's the most important shot of the day, especially with critical-duty long-range rifles like my TRG and my new Nemises Vanquish.
piscator wrote:I have a .308 my Dad built. Pre-64 action. Shilen barrel. Hand checkered full international stock in Turkish walnut. Unertl scope. Double set trigger. I'd have been pissed if he left me a folding Bic lighter with a laser rail.
My dad left me some stuff too. Of course, no ARs for obvious reasons. Serious collector value is nice, but your mostly talking about personal preference, which is subjective opinion and a very much "to each his own" kind of thing.
Absolutely.