What did this family not have that it needed?

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Re: What did this family not have that it needed?

Post by Seth » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Blind groper wrote:To laklak

There are, in fact, heaps of statistics. Just not inside the USA. The American gun insanity is so bad that there is even an aversion to finding out what is true and what is not true. When Boston University had to use a proxy method of estimating gun ownership, state by state (because no statistics are gathered), the uncertainty involved led the gun lovers to crow that their results were invalid. They are not invalid. Just a little less certain.

However, outside the USA, there is no such insanity. Thus, basic statistics are gathered. And as I pointed out, comparing nations, there is a clear cut relationship between more guns and more killings.
Cherry picking again.
On the spike in murder rate.
There is no mystery about the cause. It was the higher percentage of young men in the population. Young men are responsible for most violent crime, including murders. As men get past their early 30's, they become more mature, and way less likely to commit murder. This is a well known fact, that all criminologists will tell you.
I guess that means that we should ban young men, particularly young black men, rather than guns.

Murder rates went up and down accordingly. Late 1960's saw a massive rise in murder rate. 1990's saw a massive drop. This happened not just in the USA where guns were a major issue, but in every western country, which had a baby boom. There is no mystery about it, and no need to come up with weird hypotheses about guns. We already know the cause.
And you stated the cause: "young men." Not guns, people.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:30 am

laklak wrote:I decided to do some in-depth research on gun ownership and gun related crime in the U.S.. Spent many an hour trawling through Uniform Crime statistics, pro and anti gun sites, various polls and pundits, and found pretty much jackshit. There simply are no statistics. No one knows how many guns there are or how many people own them. No one knows what percentage of gun crime is gang related. There are no uniform requirements for reporting the data to the FBI. There are no hard statistics on defensive gun usage. It is, in short, a cluster fuck. The reporting problem could be solved at a federal level, but there is no way we'll ever know how many guns are out there unless the 2nd is scrapped or modified, and that stands zero chance of happening. So we're pretty much stuck with anecdote and partisan bullshit analysis.

EDIT We do know a couple of things. We know that the majority of murders are black people killing other black people. We know that murders are concentrated in the poorer areas of cities. We know that concealed carry permit holders are less likely to commit crimes than off duty police. We know that owning a gun increases your chance of being accidentally or purposely shot. But to take those statistics and try to extrapolate social trends or mold public policy is an exercise in futility. Might as well look at sheep intestines.
Beginning with a discussion at the defunct Dawkins forum I too spent a lot of hours looking for information, and I too quite intentionally checked both pro and anti-gun points of view. My focus fell on the US because the US is, you know, all that matters, and Australia (there be dragons) because I happen to live here. The difference in data quality was astounding. The best available in the US seems to be the Uniform Crimes collation, or whatever it is called. It has holes in it big enough to drive trucks through for the simple reason that providing data for it is voluntary and over a dozen states have not volunteered any, three of them never, and many counties don't bother either. Just the same, I think that with a little extrapolation what there is does lead to an analysis that is considerably better than reading sheep intestines.

Before I started I was convinced that gun control works. This opinion was chiefly based on the claim by the con control lobby that homicides and suicides by firearm have been reduced in Australia by somewhere between 60 and 70%. That turned out to be demonstrably true. The conclusion that gun control works, however, does not follow, as I discovered by digging around some more. The gun buyback scheme should have resulted in an easily discernible discontinuity in homicide and suicide trends. There isn't one, and its absence is studiously ignored by BG here and the anti gun groups at large. It turns out that people use other methods to do themselves and/or others in. In the case of homicides, the use of knives went up as the use of firearms went down. In regard to suicides fewer people blew their heads off and more people resorted to ropes and pills.

So no, with the effectiveness of mass killings, the sudden reduction of which is statistically demonstrable despite Avto's and Seth's protestations, I am not convinced that gun control in Australia has resulted in fewer deaths via homicide or suicide overall that would not have happened otherwise. The slight downward gradient of both has been the same for several years before the gun buyback as afterwards, and there is no sudden step (down or up) around 1996. This means that neither Seth nor BG can use the available data to support their respective assertions, and it explains why both ignore them altogether.

One caveat is in order: Except for police, defence forces, private security firms some criminals, and a handful of sporting shooters concealable guns have never been available. You might discount anecdotal evidence of road ragers, and customers having fatal shootouts with shop assistants at fast food retail outlets, toddlers accidentally killing their mums, and stand your ground aficionados murdering unarmed sources of perceived danger, but eventually this question becomes unavoidable: How many anecdotes are necessary before the number of them can be regarded as statistically significant?

The US and Australia share the following features: A big number of murders are committed by (male) criminals upon each other. You are much less likely to get murdered by simply being female and/or live in a rural area. If you live in a big city, there are suburbs where the murder rate is practically zero and there are suburbs where the murder rate is a multiple of the national average. Australia is a pretty big nation, In fact it is the size of a continent. The average between its states and territories varies significantly. So, looking at the difference between averages of the US and Aus we are comparing apples with apples as long as we keep the difference between the availability of concealable firearms in mind.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:43 am

Seth wrote:But what's important here is precisely what you are saying. There is no correlation between gun ownership and crime rates, particularly and especially in the direction that BG hypothesizes.
No more or less particularly and especially regarding yours.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:06 am

Hermit wrote:

One caveat is in order: Except for police, defence forces, private security firms some criminals, and a handful of sporting shooters concealable guns have never been available. You might discount anecdotal evidence of road ragers, and customers having fatal shootouts with shop assistants at fast food retail outlets, toddlers accidentally killing their mums, and stand your ground aficionados murdering unarmed sources of perceived danger, but eventually this question becomes unavoidable: How many anecdotes are necessary before the number of them can be regarded as statistically significant?
Your thesis about the ineffectiveness of gun control is stated too broadly. It totally revolves around the gun buy back scheme of John Howard's, which had a very narrow focus; achieving a major reduction in the number of semi-automatic rifles available, and preventing Port Arthur style massacres, which you agree it has done.

The real issue of gun control in Australia, as you allude to in the part of your post that I quoted, is the continuing absence of hand guns in the general population. Granted, professional criminals can obtain them at considerable cost (and mainly use them as either threats, or to murder rival criminals), but they are rare other than that. A defensible thesis is that it this continuing gun control which explains much of the difference in homicide rates between us and the US
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 am

Thank you, Jim

I was going to make exactly the same point to Hermit. Those who are apologists for lack of gun control carefully ignore important points like that. My own view is that NZ and Australia have a pretty good handle on gun control, and this is reflected in the fact that very few murders are committed with guns. In fact, in NZ and Oz, the per capita murder rate is quite low, especially compared to the USA.

The USA has 4 to 5 times the murders per capita, and half of them are done with hand guns. In fact, in the USA, about two thirds of all murders are done with guns, whereas the countries with good gun control and a ban on hand guns have only about one tenth of all murders committed with guns. They also have a quarter to one fifth of the total murders per capita.

My exercise looking at 20 western nations and correlating gun ownership with murder rate shows clearly that the relationship exists and is strong. More guns and more killing.

That does not mean that high gun ownership is the only thing that raises murder rates, of course. I listed four major factors earlier, and I have thought of three more.
1. Lots of young men in the population.
2. Poverty.
3. A lot of alcohol abuse.

Number 3 is something we all should be aware of, since in our advanced western nations, a lot of murders happen when a person drinks too much and loses control. It is a major reason why Russia has a very high murder rate, since Russia has the highest rate of alcohol abuse on the planet.

Those other reasons that drive high murder rates are why I have to restrict my correlation to advanced western nations. If I included very different nations and cultures, the picture would be totally muddied by the influence of other factors. I do not deny those other factors, but I maintain, and the evidence demonstrates, that lack of gun control is a major factor driving high murder rates.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:50 am

JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Your thesis about the ineffectiveness of gun control is stated too broadly. It totally revolves around the gun buy back scheme of John Howard's, which had a very narrow focus; achieving a major reduction in the number of semi-automatic rifles available, and preventing Port Arthur style massacres, which you agree it has done.

The real issue of gun control in Australia, as you allude to in the part of your post that I quoted, is the continuing absence of hand guns in the general population. Granted, professional criminals can obtain them at considerable cost (and mainly use them as either threats, or to murder rival criminals), but they are rare other than that. A defensible thesis is that it this continuing gun control which explains much of the difference in homicide rates between us and the US
So you agree with every word I posted?

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:52 am

Blind groper wrote:I was going to make exactly the same point to Hermit.
Do you know the meaning of "caveat"?

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:58 am

Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Not in the sense that you said "gun control does not have the effect on murder rates claimed". The banning of semi-automatic rifles may not have reduced the Australian murder rate, but it is our long history of controlling hand gun possession (a major form of gun control) that has kept our rates so much lower than the US. I'm not saying that you disagree with this, but the way you were stating your disagreement with BG did not, IMO, make that clear.
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:34 am

JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:
hermit wrote:One caveat is in order: Except for police, defence forces, private security firms some criminals, and a handful of sporting shooters concealable guns have never been available. You might discount anecdotal evidence of road ragers, and customers having fatal shootouts with shop assistants at fast food retail outlets, toddlers accidentally killing their mums, and stand your ground aficionados murdering unarmed sources of perceived danger, but eventually this question becomes unavoidable: How many anecdotes are necessary before the number of them can be regarded as statistically significant?

Not in the sense that you said "gun control does not have the effect on murder rates claimed". The banning of semi-automatic rifles may not have reduced the Australian murder rate, but it is our long history of controlling hand gun possession (a major form of gun control) that has kept our rates so much lower than the US. I'm not saying that you disagree with this, but the way you were stating your disagreement with BG did not, IMO, make that clear.
Maybe I should have said that the only empirical data I know of regarding gun control is the gun buyback scheme which shows no difference to the gradient of homicide and suicide rates, but the caveat to that observation is that concealable weapons are not part of that observation. Oh, wait. That is what I said. "Caveat" is a bit of a keyword. You and BG seem to have missed its significance.

And of course Seth will miss everything, then say that statistics mean nothing because the second amendment rules above all. Not for the first time and it won't be the last.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:35 am

Didn't miss it, but wanted to emphasise that the key difference between Oz & USA is hand guns...
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:46 am

JimC wrote:Didn't miss it, but wanted to emphasise that the key difference between Oz & USA is hand guns...
Yes, that is a difference, but we don't know if that is a good thing or bad. Seth is actually right in so far that the rate of homicide and other violent crimes has dropped over the past several decades while the number of concealable firearms has risen in the same time frame. The issue is determining if we are looking at causation or correlation. My guess is that it's the latter, but have not done enough digging to provide evidence for it. Of course Seth has not provided any evidence for his opposite view.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:07 am

Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:Didn't miss it, but wanted to emphasise that the key difference between Oz & USA is hand guns...
Yes, that is a difference, but we don't know if that is a good thing or bad. Seth is actually right in so far that the rate of homicide and other violent crimes has dropped over the past several decades while the number of concealable firearms has risen in the same time frame. The issue is determining if we are looking at causation or correlation. My guess is that it's the latter, but have not done enough digging to provide evidence for it. Of course Seth has not provided any evidence for his opposite view.
There is BG's point about the demographic shift to a lower proportion of young men. I'm not saying it's conclusive, but it is certainly possible as a causative factor...

But the main point is about change. I'm fairly damn sure that the majority in Oz, do not want a Sethian change in gun laws, but it also appears that the folk in the US wanting tighter gun laws are a minority. BG is unrealistic in assuming that a major change in the US is feasible, and anyway, it's their choice, not ours, just as our gun laws are our choice...
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:16 am

JimC wrote:There is BG's point about the demographic shift to a lower proportion of young men. I'm not saying it's conclusive, but it is certainly possible as a causative factor...
Undoubtedly, offenders can be identified by age and demographic analysis by the FBI's Unified Crime Reports reveal that young males are overrepresented. Timewise, the relevant data points don't match, though. The US post-war baby boom peaked in 1946. The post-war peak of homicides, rapes and burglary in 1980, robbery in 1981, aggravated assault in 1992 and vehicle theft in 1991. According to the FBI data people between the ages of 18 and 24 are responsible for 36.6% of homicides, for instance. There is a lag of ten years between the respective homicide, rape and burglary peaks (and more in the other types of crime) and the identified age group.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:37 am

JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:

I don't agree that's what the gun buyback has done. There may be a correlation at the surface but there are so many other factors that confound the simple conclusion that one cannot realistically say that banning and melting down rifles has "prevented" anything at all, except perhaps for making it impossible to use those particular weapons. But as we've seen with the recent seizures of military grade fully automatic rifles from persons in Australia, it is far from impossible for someone who is determined to obtain an automatic, or semi-automatic rifle to use in a massacre, and it's most likely dead easy for criminals to get handguns, just as it is virtually everywhere on earth.

One of the principle differences pointed out in the past by experts is the difference in social custom and psychological base beliefs between Americans and most everybody else when it comes to the issue of guns. It may well be true that more multiple killings happen here because of a psychological link between the RKBA and the sort of evil that is required to perpetrate such massacres. It may also be true that the "national conscience" of Australia was so badly shocked by the Port Arthur event that it simply has not occurred to anyone to try to replicate it or exceed it. Yet.

It may be that the average nut case who kills multiple people is not determined enough to acquire a semi-auto rifle because their motivations are more passionate than nefariously planned. But that's just an assumption based on the fact that there haven't been any killings similar to Port Arthur since then. This cannot however be said to be an indication that the gun ban "worked" because that assumes information not in evidence and ignores many confounding factors that may also have affected the probabilities of another massacre.

I'm pretty confident in saying that this is a "not yet" situation, and that it's pretty much certain that Australia will suffer a mass killing at some point in the future perpetrated with semi or full-auto rifles and other military equipment merely because the threat of Islamic terrorism and copycats make this a worldwide threat none of us can afford to ignore.

What BG is trying to say is that it is certain that gun bans will prevent murders. In one respect this is true: if you seize some particular guns, those guns won't be used to commit murder, but they will (as we see in the discussion) be replaced with other mechanisms of injury or the perpetrators will simply find a way to acquire new replacement equipment. Guns exist, and it's pretty ignorant and childish to even think that they are going to disappear. Even if every civilized nation on earth immediately banned all firearms, there would still be billions of them out there and it's simply not possible to collect them all, partly because many people won't allow the government to do so, and will either resist or grease them up, put them in a length of plastic sewer pipe and bury them in the back yard for the day when the worm turns again. Is that not what just happened somewhere in the UK, where a kid with a metal detector found a stash of "illegal" weapons buried on his family property?

I mean really, just ask the IRA about hiding weapons. Nobody in their right mind thinks the IRA actually turned in anything but inferior spares do they?

So, as has been pointed out repeatedly, all banning guns does is take them away from the people who need them and who are the least likely to misuse them without substantially affecting the ability of criminals and crazy people from getting their hands on deadly weapons of all types.

The issue evaded by BG very consistently is the factual data about defensive gun uses, which exists in abundance, but which he chooses to ignore.

The only people who turn in guns in response to gun bans are law-abiding citizens. Criminals don't.
The historical differences are indeed quite important in assessing the viability of trying to reduce gun deaths by banning guns. It's simply beyond any possibility that even a majority of the 300+ million guns in the US would be turned in were such a law passed, which would require amending the Constitution to begin with.

So even if BG is entirely mathematically correct, it's a pointless argument because it cannot happen here in the US. Civil war would likely result from a serious attempt to seize guns here.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:47 am

Blind groper wrote:Thank you, Jim

I was going to make exactly the same point to Hermit. Those who are apologists for lack of gun control carefully ignore important points like that. My own view is that NZ and Australia have a pretty good handle on gun control, and this is reflected in the fact that very few murders are committed with guns. In fact, in NZ and Oz, the per capita murder rate is quite low, especially compared to the USA.

The USA has 4 to 5 times the murders per capita, and half of them are done with hand guns. In fact, in the USA, about two thirds of all murders are done with guns, whereas the countries with good gun control and a ban on hand guns have only about one tenth of all murders committed with guns. They also have a quarter to one fifth of the total murders per capita.

My exercise looking at 20 western nations and correlating gun ownership with murder rate shows clearly that the relationship exists and is strong. More guns and more killing.

That does not mean that high gun ownership is the only thing that raises murder rates, of course. I listed four major factors earlier, and I have thought of three more.
1. Lots of young men in the population.
2. Poverty.
3. A lot of alcohol abuse.

Number 3 is something we all should be aware of, since in our advanced western nations, a lot of murders happen when a person drinks too much and loses control. It is a major reason why Russia has a very high murder rate, since Russia has the highest rate of alcohol abuse on the planet.

Those other reasons that drive high murder rates are why I have to restrict my correlation to advanced western nations. If I included very different nations and cultures, the picture would be totally muddied by the influence of other factors. I do not deny those other factors, but I maintain, and the evidence demonstrates, that lack of gun control is a major factor driving high murder rates.
You're still wrong. It's illegal for a criminal to possess a firearm of any type, or even a single round of ammunition. It's illegal to use a gun in a crime. State and federal laws provide serious criminal penalties for illegally possessing a gun or illegally using one to commit a crime. Such acts have been felonies for a long, long time.

That's "gun control." We absolutely prohibit criminals from even touching guns (several people of late have been arrested and charged based on Facebook and Twitter pictures of them holding guns when they were prohibited from doing so), which is about as much control as we can apply to criminals. An yet criminals still get and use guns despite some 50,000 gun control laws nationwide, the NICS system and hysterics from hoplophobes.

What BG is proposing, and has always proposed is not "gun control" it's "gun bans." We already exercise as much control over guns and felons as is humanly possible. He thinks that to control "gun murders" (although evidently other types of murder don't bother him much at all) society has to eliminate guns from the hands of people who are least likely (demonstrably so) to misuse them, on the silly theory that this will prevent criminals from using guns.

In other words, it's not about "gun control" it's about eliminating guns. But what he fails to consider are the unintended consequences of doing so, even if it were possible to actually do so, which it's not. His attitude is based in his bias and distaste for guns in general, as demonstrated by his unwillingness to accept that guns actually do prevent crime, save lives, and have other legitimate uses beyond "murder."

His is not a rational argument at all. It's bigoted, biased and viewed through the lens of fear and intolerance.