Civilians shouldn't do recon.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Civilians shouldn't do recon.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:08 pm

In this connection, it should be remembered that no adequate maps or photographs were in the possession of the Division! "Grassy Knoll" had been designated the objective on the strength of its description by a former resident as a commanding terrain feature of unmistakable appearance which dominated the entire area of Lunga Point and the airfield. As such, it represented the key terrain feature of the area, but in actual practice, it proved to be too large and too removed in point of distance to be of controlling importance from the point of view of the relatively small forces engaged.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)

Re: Civilians shouldn't do recon.

Post by Don't Panic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
In this connection, it should be remembered that no adequate maps or photographs were in the possession of the Division! "Grassy Knoll" had been designated the objective on the strength of its description by a former resident as a commanding terrain feature of unmistakable appearance which dominated the entire area of Lunga Point and the airfield. As such, it represented the key terrain feature of the area, but in actual practice, it proved to be too large and too removed in point of distance to be of controlling importance from the point of view of the relatively small forces engaged.
How far away was the mountain?
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:11 pm

DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Out of arty range.

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Post by Don't Panic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Out of arty range.
30-40 miles?
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:19 pm

DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Out of arty range.
30-40 miles?
1st hadn't landed anything bigger than 75s at that point. Effective/accurate range was 3-4 miles for those, IIRC. Anyway, it wasn't what they'd hoped it would be from the reports the planter had given them. He probably zipped over to the hill in his '32 Bentley with nobody shooting at him. Civilians don't think about the complications of combat.

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Post by Don't Panic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:In this connection, it should be remembered that no adequate maps or photographs were in the possession of the Division! "Grassy Knoll" had been designated the objective on the strength of its description by a former resident as a commanding terrain feature of unmistakable appearance which dominated the entire area of Lunga Point and the airfield. As such, it represented the key terrain feature of the area, but in actual practice, it proved to be too large and too removed in point of distance to be of controlling importance from the point of view of the relatively small forces engaged.
Out of arty range.
30-40 miles?
1st hadn't landed anything bigger than 75s at that point. Effective/accurate range was 3-4 miles for those, IIRC. Anyway, it wasn't what they'd hoped it would be from the reports the planter had given them. He probably zipped over to the hill in his '32 Bentley with nobody shooting at him. Civilians don't think about the complications of combat.
Like minefields, machine gun nests, pill boxes, tanks, barbed wire, whorehouses, enemy soldiers, air strikes, that sort of thing?
D.N.A.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:24 pm

DP wrote:Like minefields, machine gun nests, pill boxes, tanks, barbed wire, whorehouses, enemy soldiers, air strikes, that sort of thing?
A few thousand sons of Nippon in the tree line.

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Post by Don't Panic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
DP wrote:Like minefields, machine gun nests, pill boxes, tanks, barbed wire, whorehouses, enemy soldiers, air strikes, that sort of thing?
Napalm.

Jus' sayin' :dono:
D.N.A.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:26 pm

DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Napalm.
The problem with area weapons is you need to know which area they should be applied to.

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Post by Don't Panic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:30 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Napalm.
The problem with area weapons is you need to know which area they should be applied to.
Apply liberally prior to landing.

Or did they have any of those tanks converted to flamethrowers? If your enemy insists in hiding in a giant tinderbox he should be shown why that is a bad idea extremely quickly.
D.N.A.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:34 pm

DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Napalm.

Or did they have any of those tanks converted to flamethrowers? If your enemy insists in hiding in a giant tinderbox he should be shown why that is a bad idea extremely quickly.
Remember, this is August, 1942. And you can't burn the whole island down. Makes the fuzzy wuzzies nervous.

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Post by Don't Panic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote: A few thousand sons of Nippon in the tree line.
Napalm.

Remember, this is August, 1942. And you can't burn the whole island down. Makes the fuzzy wuzzies nervous.
Pshaw! Claim it was an accident.
D.N.A.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:38 pm

DP wrote:Pshaw! Claim it was an accident.
We were short on SBDs at time. And short on BVDs. And MREs. Everything except Japanese in point of fact.

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Post by Don't Panic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
We were short on SBDs at time. And short on BVDs. And MREs. Everything except Japanese in point of fact.
Scout Bomber Douglas aircraft, ????, Meals Ready to Eat(Surely C-Rations at the time though?)
D.N.A.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:44 pm

DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Scout Bomber Douglas aircraft, ????, Meals Ready to Eat(Surely C-Rations at the time though?)
BVD is a brand of underwear.