Don't marry into the Bowhill family...

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Don't marry into the Bowhill family...

Post by Seabass » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:45 pm

This is the story of a Waco glider named 'Voo-Doo' and her daring pilots that undertook an incredibly dangerous transatlantic flight in 1943 in order to prove the notion of creating a glider air bridge between North America and Britain.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Don't marry into the Bowhill family...

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:48 am

Oh, 'not feasible' they said. After all that. :lol:

The military gliders could be, and often were, deathtraps. I've read a fair amount about how they fared in the D-Day invasion, and it was pretty brutal. I understand the video is telling a very specific story, but it glosses over the extra-hazardous nature of the whole concept of military gliders (meanwhile in the film clip you can see one of the gliders losing a piece of wing or empennage during landing).

Too bad it was so brief. I'd like to know who came up with the plan in the first place. Seems likely it was some clever dick with a slide rule who didn't bother to consult with any actual glider pilots. Excellent story-telling though, and a story I hadn't heard before. Thank you. :tup: