Lies, Statistics and Unemployment Figures

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Lies, Statistics and Unemployment Figures

Post by rainbow » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 am

Our Overlord Masters are lying to us.
How can there be a labour participation rate of 60%, but only 5% unemployment?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Lies, Statistics and Unemployment Figures

Post by Svartalf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:57 am

well, and how can there be so much unemployment when many companies are looking for employees to hire and can't find any suitable applicants.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:58 am

The remaining 35% are either considered to be economically inactive, and thus don't qualify to be counted; in the black economy, and thus don't want to be counted; or of private means, and thus sit at home all day counting their change and complaining about the poor and the tax rate.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 am

for instance, I'm part of the non working uncounted, because my status is neither that of a full retiree (I'm merely pensioned off as an invalid), nor that of an unemployed (since I can't work and am not registered as a job seeker)

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:14 am

In the UK the headline unemployment figures are derived from the number of people of working age and claiming unemployment benefits. After 10 years of benefit 'reform' unemployment is at it's lowest since the Boer war.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:32 am

Once again:

What is unemployment?
Q. How is unemployment measured in the UK?

A. Unemployment is measured by a survey of 100,000 adults aged 16 and over in 40,000 households in the UK. The survey uses a random sample of addresses.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) then uses the survey results to estimate the total number of people who are unemployed across the UK.

This is separate to the claimant count which measures the number of people claiming benefits because they are out of work. It includes people who are on Jobseeker's Allowance and people who are claiming Universal Credit and required to look for work.
Talk about massaging the figures.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:18 am

As a methodology it seems pretty sound.

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:25 am

depending how random the addresses choice is, and how wide the address pool is...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:46 am

The devil is in the detail of course, but I don't see how random sampling exemplifies massaging the figures.

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:13 am

It is as well to be skeptical about any stats a government (which wasn’t to get voted back in after all) publishes, but you can’t fault the level of transparency involved. The definitions, methodology and process of measuring (un)employment are all very clear if a tad complicated. The link below takes you to a flow chart if you can be arsed.

My biggest gripes are about two categories of employment - the self employed, which now make up a large part of the working population, and those who are technically employed but only do a few hours a week. Both these categories, I suspect, contain large numbers of ‘working poor’ who hardly scrape by. That, to me, is what counts - the quality of life you can obtain. And certainly by walking through some of the poorer areas of my little city, thankfuly not blighted by crime and such, there is plenty of evidence of people just looking down right poor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemplo ... gories.png

Talking of credibility, inflation is supposed to be at 1.9%. If you look at your food bill, your energy costs and basically have your wits about you, it is obviously quite a bit higher than that. The government of course gets to choose what items go in the inflation ‘basket’

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:46 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:32 am
Once again:

What is unemployment?

A. Unemployment is measured by a survey of 100,000 adults aged 16 and over in 40,000 households in the UK. The survey uses a random sample of addresses.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) then uses the survey results to estimate the total number of people who are unemployed across the UK.

This is separate to the claimant count which measures the number of people claiming benefits because they are out of work. It includes people who are on Jobseeker's Allowance and people who are claiming Universal Credit and required to look for work.
A random sample isn't "massaging the figures". What the fuck are you on about?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:46 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Once again:

What is unemployment?

Something you dont understand. Just go and lie down in your trailer there's a good something or other.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:52 pm

A very UK diagram as not all the exceptions are included. They cant use the EU's standard definition can they?
No they are SPECIAL. I wish you lot would leave. Even that you are unable to do.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:46 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Once again:

What is unemployment?

Something you dont understand. Just go and lie down in your trailer there's a good something or other.
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. A cop vs a scientist, who do you think has a better grasp on stats? Hint: it's not the geriatric cop.

edit: I also note that you continue to go personal. Shines a light on your hypocrisy over having a tantrum because I mentioned your wife.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:58 am
The remaining 35% are either considered to be economically inactive, and thus don't qualify to be counted; in the black economy, and thus don't want to be counted; or of private means, and thus sit at home all day counting their change and complaining about the poor and the tax rate.
That 35% is a huge part of the population.
I know that in Germany they would encourage people to enter the jobs market later, by remaining students well into their 20s, doing pointless postgrad degrees. Then on the other hand encouraging people to take early retirement, sometimes as low as 55. This means that a person may be employed for only 30 years, out of a lifespan of about 80.
Then people are given extended maternity and special leave sabbaticals, which are also not counted as unemployment.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4