Palestine - historical information

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Palestine - historical information

Post by Rum » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:01 pm

My father, who died 3 years ago, was a member of the Palestine Police Force during the time of the British Mandate. He was there from 1945 until the state of Israel was formed the the Brits were kicked out. He made some life long friends while there as a young man and from about 1975 right up until he died he used to receive the Palestine Police Old Comrades quarterly news letter and them for the last few years of his life he edited it. For a year or two I actually helped him with the layouts, which I enjoyed.

A few days ago I was sorting out our attic as our place is going to be sold prior to a move later in the year when I came across about 200 issues of the news letter, mostly from the later years mentioned above.

The little A5 newsletters are packed with anecdotes, descriptions of minor historical events, personal histories, obituaries and opinion now and again. Nothing revelatory or mind blowing, but put together they produce quite a remarkable picture of the period from the late 30s to 1947 in Palestine/Israel. mostly from the police officers' perspectives.

I'm reluctant to throw them out, nor do I want them to just stay stored forever more or until someone throws them out after my day.

Any ideas what I might do with them or who might be interested in this sort of thing?

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Re: Palestine - historical information

Post by NineBerry » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:34 pm

They might be interested:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:56 pm

NineBerry wrote:They might be interested:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Cheers. Dug around the site - it is big and complex..and also very interesting!

I've emailed them.

Thanks again.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:43 am

My Dad was a Battery Sergeant Major of a heavy artillery regiment of the Australian Army. One of his tasks was to survey gun positions in northern Palestine during WW2, in case of a southern thrust by German forces, which of course never eventuated.

Towards the end of the war, he was surveying gun positions in Northern Queensland for a possible Japanese invasion that, again, never happened... ;)

Rum, I think it's a very good idea to have your Dad's paperwork archived - it is a real contact with the past... :tup:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:50 am

Rum wrote:My father, who died 3 years ago, was a member of the Palestine Police Force during the time of the British Mandate. He was there from 1945 until the state of Israel was formed the the Brits were kicked out. He made some life long friends while there as a young man and from about 1975 right up until he died he used to receive the Palestine Police Old Comrades quarterly news letter and them for the last few years of his life he edited it. For a year or two I actually helped him with the layouts, which I enjoyed.

A few days ago I was sorting out our attic as our place is going to be sold prior to a move later in the year when I came across about 200 issues of the news letter, mostly from the later years mentioned above.

The little A5 newsletters are packed with anecdotes, descriptions of minor historical events, personal histories, obituaries and opinion now and again. Nothing revelatory or mind blowing, but put together they produce quite a remarkable picture of the period from the late 30s to 1947 in Palestine/Israel. mostly from the police officers' perspectives.

I'm reluctant to throw them out, nor do I want them to just stay stored forever more or until someone throws them out after my day.

Any ideas what I might do with them or who might be interested in this sort of thing?
Send them to Svarty.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.