Hong Kong's Walled City

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Hong Kong's Walled City

Post by Rum » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:27 pm

You may have heard of it. When I lived there it was taboo for Europeans to enter - or anyone with money on them. It wasn't policed and taxes weren't collected there. I used to see it from a distance as we lived a mile or so away from it for a while, but I've never seen it all in one photo like this. Posting it out of idle interest. Sadly they pulled the whole things down some years ago and there's a park there now.
walledcity.jpg

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Hong Kong's Walled City

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Incredible.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:47 pm

I and a couple of mates went for a wander around the place in 1980. It was a fucking labyrinth...Actually labyrinth isn't the right word. If you follow a labyrinth you will eventually reach the way out. This wasn't the case there. Our little excursion took us through noodle factories, past people butchering animals, food vendors, etc. and even through what appeared to be peoples living rooms were families sat and watched telly without even batting an eyelid at us as we passed through.
Very, very weird place with all sorts of buildings just merged together and/or built on/in/around each other.
As you say, the place was completely lawless, but I don't remember feeling in any danger from the people there. Maybe we should have, in retrospect...
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Interesting. I suspect I would have been safe there as a kid. The Chinese are incredibly law abiding as a rule. I used to walk around back streets and alley ways when I was ten years old and younger and always felt safe in even the most crowded and what some might have thought of as dodgy areas. The only thing that ever happened was the occasional touch of my (then) sun bleached hair which was thought of as good luck. Even that was never in any sort of threatening manner.

I have one recollection of being shooed away from somewhere. Probably an opium den or some such.