BBC - Blitz: The Bombing of Coventry

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

BBC - Blitz: The Bombing of Coventry

Post by klr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:20 am

This was broadcast last night on BBC2. One of the best documentaries I've seen in ages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n7xky

Those of you who can access the iPlayer archive can view the program for another 6 days. Wait for it to appear elsewhere as well. :whistle:
On 14th November 1940, the Luftwaffe launched the most devastating bombing raid so far on Britain. The target was Coventry, deep in the heart of England.

In a 12-hour blitz, the Luftwaffe dropped thousands of tons of bombs. Three-quarters of the city centre was devastated, including the ancient cathedral. The Nazis coined a phrase - 'to Coventrate' - to describe the intense destruction.

It was a baptism of fire for Coventry and Britain. For years, the government feared that aerial bombardment could destroy civilian morale. In Coventry, those fears were tested, and in the immediate aftermath of the blitz the evidence was not encouraging. Panic and hysteria gripped the city, and half of Coventry's population fled. However, within weeks - and contrary to all expectations - the city revived. Factories were soon turning out aircraft parts which would be used to avenge the attack on Coventry.

The RAF studied the Nazi bombing techniques and perfected the art of 'Coventration'. In Dresden, Hamburg and Berlin, the Nazis reaped the whirlwind they had sown in their devastating attack.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: BBC - Blitz: The Bombing of Coventry

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:23 am

Goering said he could bomb them into submission. He failed. WSC said the British people would "never give up, never give up, never give up!"
"Bomber Harris" said he could bomb them into submission. He boldly ignored the example of his own country.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

klr

Post by klr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:31 am

Gawdzilla wrote:Goering said he could bomb them into submission. He failed. WSC said the British people would "never give up, never give up, never give up!"
"Bomber Harris" said he could bomb them into submission. He boldly ignored the example of his own country.
That angle is discussed, at least on the British side. The British government greatly feared a collapse in morale, but the people of Coventry recovered very quickly and became defiant instead.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:35 am

klr wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Goering said he could bomb them into submission. He failed. WSC said the British people would "never give up, never give up, never give up!"
That angle is discussed, at least on the British side. The British government greatly feared a collapse in morale, but the people of Coventry recovered very quickly and became defiant instead.
That's as far as that argument seems to get. The bombing of Dresden was, IIRC, meant to be a morale killer. I think it's a matter of war racismTM, "we could take it, but they won't be able to."

klr

Post by klr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:39 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
klr wrote:
That's as far as that argument seems to get. The bombing of Dresden was, IIRC, meant to be a morale killer. I think it's a matter of war racismTM, "we could take it, but they won't be able to."
Dresden is a bit more complex than that IIRC, not least because of when it took place, and also the fact that the Soviets were advancing towards it.

German civilian morale held up very well overall, but the sustained and prolonged nature of the allied bombing eventually wore people down. What was Goering's comment? "The [German] people are bearing these raids like a chastisement from God".

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:44 am

klr wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
klr wrote:
Dresden is a bit more complex than that IIRC, not least because of when it took place, and also the fact that the Soviets were advancing towards it.

German civilian morale held up very well overall, but the sustained and prolonged nature of the allied bombing eventually wore people down. What was Goering's comment? "The [German] people are bearing these raids like a chastisement from God".
My point was that they didn't fold. Despite being "bombed back to the Stone Age." (Which was ridiculous anyway, Mick Jagger wasn't even two years old at the time.)

klr

Post by klr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:47 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
klr wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
klr wrote:

My point was that they didn't fold. Despite being "bombed back to the Stone Age." (Which was ridiculous anyway, Mick Jagger wasn't even two years old at the time.)
They didn't, but I suspect it played no small part in them not wanting to ever start a war again. :ddpan:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:49 am

klr wrote:They didn't, but I suspect it played no small part in them not wanting to ever start a war again. :ddpan:
I think it may be a part of that, and Der Frage being another part.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:35 pm

I think the lesson still hasn't been learned, plenty of influential military types who think wars can be won from the sky alone.

Apropos of nothing, Granpa Huxley was a Bomb Aimer in Lancasters during the war. Didn't talk about it much though.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:43 pm

"This content doesn't seem to be working. Please try again."

Fucking continents/nationalities/languages/filters/servers/electrons... :nono:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:01 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:I think the lesson still hasn't been learned, plenty of influential military types who think wars can be won from the sky alone.

Apropos of nothing, Granpa Huxley was a Bomb Aimer in Lancasters during the war. Didn't talk about it much though.
"Bomb aimer" is an oxymoron.

BTW, my lead prof. used to cite statistics stating that most bombs didn't come within five miles of their target. I did some digging and found that this info stemmed from a Jan. 1941 RAF report, and that the report led to measures to improve that. I guess profs can be just as good at quote mining as fundies.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:I think the lesson still hasn't been learned, plenty of influential military types who think wars can be won from the sky alone.

BTW, my lead prof. used to cite statistics stating that most bombs didn't come within five miles of their target. I did some digging and found that this info stemmed from a Jan. 1941 RAF report, and that the report led to measures to improve that. I guess profs can be just as good at quote mining as fundies.
Well, I guess he confirmed the aircraft was over a country other than blighty before they opened the bomb-bay doors....
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

klr

Post by klr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:

:what: No shit. Did the good professor ever explain how the likes of Hamburg, Darmstadt, Pforzheim and Dresden were incinerated? :eddy:

Don't you just love academics with an agenda. :roll:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Well, I guess he confirmed the aircraft was over a country other than blighty before they opened the bomb-bay doors....
The report included 'aborts', where the plane dumped it's load in the Channel. The raw data was pretty 'orrible, and totally misleading.

klr

Post by klr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:15 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

The report included 'aborts', where the plane dumped it's load in the Channel. The raw data was pretty 'orrible, and totally misleading.
:shock: The statistician in me is not amused. :nono: :twisted: