ShukhevichFest

DRSB

ShukhevichFest

Post by DRSB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:25 am

So this is what Lviv celebrated over the weekend, one of the few reports I found in English, I have to add a gas bottle was thrown in a synagogue, just saying:
ShukhevichFest in Lviv – celebration of the terrible death of innocent people, – Jewish Committee

"ShukhevichFest" dedicated to the 110th anniversary of Shutsmanshaft Hauptman and UPA commander Roman Shukhevich will be held in Lviv on June 30, 2017. On that day, June 30, 1941, in Lviv and other cities of Western Ukraine, violent Jewish pogroms were organized by the Nazis and OUN with the participation of fighters of the "Nachtigal" battalion, one of whose commanders was Roman Shukhevich," Dolinsky wrote on his Facebook page.

Thus, according to him, in Lviv, "they decided to celebrate the terrible death of thousands of innocent Jews." The event will last until July 2 – "the day when the pogrom ended".

What can it be compared with? "It's, for example, as if the Jewish community organized KaganovichFest on the day of commemoration of the victims of the Holodomor," added the head of the Committee.
http://uoj.org.ua/en/novosti/sobytiya/s ... -committee

And look up photos of the pogrom in Lviv 1941 for a more precise idea of what this was about.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: ShukhevichFest

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 am

Why does this look more like a celebration than a 'never again' type of memorial?

and I expect Poland to declare war on Ukraine any year to get Lwow back...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:25 am

The years pass, history begins to blur. Good is painted evil and evil good. Sometimes deliberately by powerful interests but mostly as a result of substandard education...eventually it will go the way of all history and become semi-myth with no connection to conditions and people in the present. Still some don't forget. And some seek the truth of the matter. You can't change the human heart and you can't change history. Both are corrupt and beyond remedy as Crumple would say...however you can learn from them and be wiser for that.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 am

Look at how it was celebrated, beside the rock music: https://ria.ru/analytics/20170704/1497802067.html
This is a Russian source but try to look beyond the propaganda.
The Jewish organisations are outraged.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:39 am

Crumple wrote:you can't change history.
Rubbish. In the first place history is written by the winners. That's where the first set of falsifications comes in, but they keep coming.
  • And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed -if all records told the same tale — then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past,' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.' And yet the past, though of its nature alterable, never had been altered. Whatever was true now was true from everlasting to everlasting. It was quite simple. All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory. 'Reality control', they called it: in Newspeak, 'doublethink'.
Orwell thought this only applied to totalitarian regimes. Sometimes he was a bit naïve.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 am

History is a matter of interpretation, unfortunately. This is why it is easy to misuse it to fit political agendas.

Shukhevich is being celebrated as an anti-communist hero. But the pictures of the pogrom are so graphic, 6000 Jews killed in matter of days. It is beyond me how somebody can think of picking this occasion to commemorate anything else!

The biggest Nazi-collaborator is of course Stalin himself as expressed in the Division-of-Poland-pact that cost the lives of 3 mln Polish Jews.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:38 pm

What? fully half of the Jewish victims of the Nazi plan were poles?

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Svartalf wrote:What? fully half of the Jewish victims of the Nazi plan were poles?
Wikipedia:
The official Polish government report on war damages prepared in 1947 put Poland's war dead at 6,028,000; 3.0 million ethnic Poles and 3.0 million Jews not including losses of Polish citizens from the Ukrainian and Belarusian ethnic groups. This figure was disputed when the communist system collapsed by the Polish historian Czesław Łuczak who put total losses at 6.0 million; 3.0 million Jews, 2.0 million ethnic Poles, and 1.0 million Polish citizens from the other ethnic groups not included in the 1947 report on war damages.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:48 pm

DRSB wrote:Look at how it was celebrated, beside the rock music: https://ria.ru/analytics/20170704/1497802067.html
Tossers.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Svartalf wrote:What? fully half of the Jewish victims of the Nazi plan were poles?
Yes. Poland was chockers with them like no other nation, chiefly due to Tsarist Russia driving its Jewish population into the Pale of Settlement, of which Poland was the centre, between 1791 and 1917. The diaspora gathered pace with the 1821 pogrom in Odessa and hit fever pitch after the assassination of Alexander II in 1881. Between 1795 and the end of WWII Poland did not even exist as a nation. It had been divvied up between Russia, Prussia an Austria. The Russian parcel basically served as a free-range concentration camp for the Russian empire's millions of Jews. The musical Fiddler on the Roof, based on Sholem Aleichem's Tevye and his Daughters, is a fictionalised vignette of what happened there and then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:07 pm

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:53 am

Pretty sick!
WARSAW—Tens of thousands of Poles marched across downtown Warsaw on Saturday, in an independence-day procession organized by a nationalist youth movement that seeks an ethnically pure Poland with fewer Jews or Muslims.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/polish-nat ... 1510429006

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:42 am

Good lord. Our "unite the right" crap looks downright trifling by comparison.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:32 pm

As I told a friend just a few minutes ago, it seems that it's those who got hit hardest by the Nazi who least understood the lessons of history.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue May 22, 2018 3:31 am

A wave of anti-Semitism has swept over Ukraine. In the past three weeks alone, a far-right leader publicly called for cleansing Ukraine of zhidi (a slur equivalent to “kike”); a Holocaust memorial in Ternopil was bombed; hundreds marched through Lviv, in honor of an SS unit, complete with Nazi salutes; “Death to Zhidi” graffiti was scrawled in two cities; a revered rabbi’s tomb was vandalized; a Romani camp in Kiev was attacked and burned by far-right nationalists, and hundreds rocked out at a neo-Nazi concert clad in swastikas and throwing up Nazi salutes.
Read more: https://forward.com/opinion/401518/viol ... -standing/
https://forward.com/opinion/401518/viol ... -standing/