Why did Hitler not fuck Britain before invading Russia?

jamest

Re: Why did Hitler not fuck Britain before invading Russia?

Post by jamest » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:14 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
jamest wrote:
JimC wrote:Simples. The English Channel, the Royal Navy and the RAF.
The RAF was on its last legs by the end of the 'Battle of Britain'. Indeed, if the Germans had stuck to attacking RAF airfields (instead of changing strategy and bombing London/cities) then Britain would have lost the air war.

Further, the Royal Navy could not operate in [or anywhere near] the English Channel unless the RAF were dominant/victorious, so were actually powerless to deter a German amphibious assault. The battle in the sky was the key to everything... and Germany was oh-so-close to winning that. Would have done so too, had they not given up so soon.

Lastly, the English Channel itself does not prohibit a decisive military assault against Britain in 1940/41, any more than it prohibits a decisive military assault against the Germans in Normandy, in 1944.
Damn! Perhaps their hindsight was faulty! :tea:
Most of the stuff I've been talking about here revolves around having a modicum of common sense and an ability to reason to a basic degree. Nothing to do with being the beneficiary of hindsight. Have a word with yourself!!

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:30 am

jamest wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
jamest wrote:
JimC wrote:Simples. The English Channel, the Royal Navy and the RAF.
The RAF was on its last legs by the end of the 'Battle of Britain'. Indeed, if the Germans had stuck to attacking RAF airfields (instead of changing strategy and bombing London/cities) then Britain would have lost the air war.

Further, the Royal Navy could not operate in [or anywhere near] the English Channel unless the RAF were dominant/victorious, so were actually powerless to deter a German amphibious assault. The battle in the sky was the key to everything... and Germany was oh-so-close to winning that. Would have done so too, had they not given up so soon.

Lastly, the English Channel itself does not prohibit a decisive military assault against Britain in 1940/41, any more than it prohibits a decisive military assault against the Germans in Normandy, in 1944.
Damn! Perhaps their hindsight was faulty! :tea:
Most of the stuff I've been talking about here revolves around having a modicum of common sense and an ability to reason to a basic degree. Nothing to do with being the beneficiary of hindsight. Have a word with yourself!!
Easy to say that with hindsight. :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 am

It's 20/20, you know.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:45 am

jamest wrote:The RAF was on its last legs by the end of the 'Battle of Britain'. Indeed, if the Germans had stuck to attacking RAF airfields (instead of changing strategy and bombing London/cities) then Britain would have lost the air war.
Correction: At the beginning of the Battle of Britain the RAF was hopelessly in both quantity and quality of equipment as well as manpower. Hitler abandoned his plan to invade Great Britain precisely because the RAF had become superior to the Luftwaffe. At the end of that battle Great Britain had lost not quite 1000 of its crew and Germany a bit more than 4500. Between August and December 1940 the German fighter and bomber strength declined by 30 and 25 percent. The Luftwaffe kept shrinking while the RAF kept growing. On the personnel side, the Germans fared even worse. By September 1940 the Luftwaffe could crew only 67% of its remaining aircraft.

On September the 17th 1940 Hitler formally announced the abandonment of his plan to invade England because instead of the Luftwaffe gaining the necessary precondition of air superiority over the island, it was being smashed to bits, for the most part by the RAF.
jamest wrote:Most of the stuff I've been talking about here revolves around having a modicum of common sense and an ability to reason to a basic degree.
Neither your modicum of common sense nor your common sense, whatever there is of it, is of any use without a third ingredient: facts.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:50 am

Hermit wrote:
jamest wrote:The RAF was on its last legs by the end of the 'Battle of Britain'. Indeed, if the Germans had stuck to attacking RAF airfields (instead of changing strategy and bombing London/cities) then Britain would have lost the air war.
Correction: At the beginning of the Battle of Britain the RAF was hopelessly in both quantity and quality of equipment as well as manpower. Hitler abandoned his plan to invade Great Britain precisely because the RAF had become superior to the Luftwaffe. At the end of that battle Great Britain had lost not quite 1000 of its crew and Germany a bit more than 4500. Between August and December 1940 the German fighter and bomber strength declined by 30 and 25 percent. The Luftwaffe kept shrinking while the RAF kept growing. On the personnel side, the Germans fared even worse. By September 1940 the Luftwaffe could crew only 67% of its remaining aircraft.

On September the 17th 1940 Hitler formally announced the abandonment of his plan to invade England because instead of the Luftwaffe gaining the necessary precondition of air superiority over the island, it was being smashed to bits, for the most part by the RAF.
jamest wrote:Most of the stuff I've been talking about here revolves around having a modicum of common sense and an ability to reason to a basic degree.
Neither your modicum of common sense nor your common sense, whatever there is of it, is of any use without a third ingredient: facts.
I must correct you here, Hermit. You have failed to uphold the first rule of teh interwebz: FACT must always be capitalised - and the plural spelt with a "Z" - FACTZ! :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:11 am

Godfuckingdamnit, XC. You managed to shoot my entire argument down in flames because of my inability to spell one solitary word correctly!

If only the Luftwaffe had your resourcefulness at its disposal, it would have been able to win the Battle of Britain by sheer force of lexia, proving once again that the pen (keyboard in this instance) is mightier than the sword (bomber and fighter planes).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:13 am

Hermit wrote:Godfuckingdamnit, XC. You managed to shoot my entire argument down in flames because of my inability to spell one solitary word correctly!

If only the Luftwaffe had your resourcefulness at its disposal, it would have been able to win the Battle of Britain by sheer force of lexia, proving once again that the pen (keyboard in this instance) is mightier than the sword (bomber and fighter planes).
True dat. Or if they had laser-eyed, flying sharks. They would have won then too. :tup:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:15 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Hermit wrote:Godfuckingdamnit, XC. You managed to shoot my entire argument down in flames because of my inability to spell one solitary word correctly!

True dat. Or if they had laser-eyed, flying sharks. They would have won then too. :tup:
LAZERZ, man. LAZERZ.

jamest

Post by jamest » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:30 am

Hermit wrote:

The fact is that there was a time towards the end of August when the RAF was very much on its last legs and close to defeat. Only a change of tactics by the Germans enabled the RAF to gradually recover. Here, have a butcher's at this:

Göring soon realized success would not come easily. Not wanting to lose face with the Führer, he stepped up the pressure, throwing everything in his arsenal against the RAF, beginning on Saturday, August 24th. Over the next two weeks, the British suffered terribly, losing 466 planes. Fighter Command was desperately low on planes and pilots, flying its very last reserves. The Germans, by sheer weight of numbers, stood on the brink of victory.

But they didn't know this.

Göring had no idea the RAF was nearly knocked out. And now, in one of the great turning points of World War II, the German strategy abruptly changed.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/d ... -alone.htm

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:24 pm

jamest wrote:
Hermit wrote:

The fact is that there was a time towards the end of August when the RAF was very much on its last legs and close to defeat. Only a change of tactics by the Germans enabled the RAF to gradually recover. Here, have a butcher's at this:

Göring soon realized success would not come easily. Not wanting to lose face with the Führer, he stepped up the pressure, throwing everything in his arsenal against the RAF, beginning on Saturday, August 24th. Over the next two weeks, the British suffered terribly, losing 466 planes. Fighter Command was desperately low on planes and pilots, flying its very last reserves. The Germans, by sheer weight of numbers, stood on the brink of victory.

But they didn't know this.

Göring had no idea the RAF was nearly knocked out. And now, in one of the great turning points of World War II, the German strategy abruptly changed.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/d ... -alone.htm
Yes, the fact is that the RAF started off very much from behind the eight-ball. But then the fact also is that the Luftwaffe had lost its initial advantage at such a fast rate that it got beaten so decisively that Hitler called the invasion of England off two months and two days after the first airborne attack. Besides that, the seaborne component of his invasion plan never got within cooee of marshalling the required equipment and men at the starting blocks, and was not expected to be ready for a long time. Meanwhile, Hitler was panicking about the possibility that the red army would soon have strengthened sufficiently for Stalin to invade Germany - and bloody well defeat the Wehrmacht. So he turned his forces east.

You'd do better to forget about what might have been and focus on what actually was. Perhaps then you would not need to ask the question "why the fuck did Hitler give up on defeating Britain before attacking Russia?" If you study what actually happened, you'd soon discover the answer. In case you can't be bothered I gave you a summarised version - twice now. Surely, you won't need to hear it a third time.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:24 pm

Britain hadn't been conquered for the best part of 9 centuries, what makes anyone think some stumpy little Kraut would succeed where everyone else had failed?
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Britain First!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:34 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Britain hadn't been conquered for the best part of 9 centuries, what makes anyone think some stumpy little Kraut would succeed where everyone else had failed?
The stumpy little Kraut.

jamest

Post by jamest » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:25 pm

Hermit wrote: You'd do better to forget about what might have been and focus on what actually was. Perhaps then you would not need to ask the question "why the fuck did Hitler give up on defeating Britain before attacking Russia?" If you study what actually happened, you'd soon discover the answer.
You're making it sound as though Hitler acted correctly/objectively within the context of achieving an overall victory. That is very much questionable.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:22 pm

jamest wrote:
Hermit wrote: You'd do better to forget about what might have been and focus on what actually was. Perhaps then you would not need to ask the question "why the fuck did Hitler give up on defeating Britain before attacking Russia?" If you study what actually happened, you'd soon discover the answer.
You're making it sound as though Hitler acted correctly/objectively within the context of achieving an overall victory. That is very much questionable.
Whether Hitler's actions were "correct" is easily ascertained by looking at the results of his actions. He set out to conquer the world and finished up 10 metres below ground level of the totally destroyed capital of his totally destroyed nation, chasing a bullet through his skull a few hours before the victorious enemy would have dragged him out of his hidey hole that made his previous redoubt, the Wolfschanze, appear positively palatial, and hung him up by his balls.

Of course he never took responsibility for his failures. As far as he was concerned, his people failed him and his generals betrayed him. As the self-proclaimed GröFaZ he should have shouldered the lot. Any leader is responsible for what his underlings do, and especially so the greatest one of all times.

I neither said nor implied what you read into my words.