Henry VIII & Anne Boleyn & Thomas Cromwell

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Henry VIII & Anne Boleyn & Thomas Cromwell

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Every iron atom, in every molecule of Hæmoglobin in your body came from a star, jamest. Does it matter which one? :tea:

How we got where we are is interesting but not really important. The value of history lies solely in avoiding making the same mistakes again - something we seem incapable of in most cases!
:this:

The reification of history is just a conservative hangover of longing for the 'glory days' of the past. It's frankly juvenile.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 05, 2015 1:20 pm

jamest wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Every iron atom, in every molecule of Hæmoglobin in your body came from a star, jamest. Does it matter which one? :tea:
I'm an idealist, so none of that gels with me anyway.
How we got where we are is interesting but not really important.
Of course history is important because it gives meaning and value to every facet of a society, which in turn establishes what is possible for each and every individual to do.

Are you going to be voting on Thursday? Well, you can thank Oliver Cromwell and untold thousands of 17th century Englishmen for that privilege (well, the vote came later, but it all started here).
So people who've never heard of Cromwell will have a different voting experience to those who have?? :think: Another silly pronouncement.
The value of history lies solely in avoiding making the same mistakes again
You can't avoid making mistakes if you have no interest in history, so tell this to rEv.
You really need to learn how to read English, Mr Strawman. :nono:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue May 05, 2015 1:32 pm

jamest wrote:Are you going to be voting on Thursday? Well, you can thank Oliver Cromwell and untold thousands of 17th century Englishmen for that privilege (well, the vote came later, but it all started here).
Seriously? You claim the importance of history and get it so glaringly wrong! Cromwell had nothing at all to do with voting reform.

Henry VI gave the right to vote to male property owners of 40 shillings or more in 1432. That remained unchanged (except for minor adjustments) until 1831!
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue May 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Tell me you wouldn't

like stink on a boar hog, mate.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue May 05, 2015 3:19 pm

laklak wrote:Tell me you wouldn't

like stink on a boar hog, mate.
Ah, isn't it wonderful what film studios come up with?

Here's a drawing Hans Holbein made of Anne Boleyn in 1533:

Francesco Sanuto, a contemporary Venetian diplomat described her as "Not one of the handsomest women in the world; she is of middling stature, swarthy complexion, long neck, wide mouth, a bosom not much raised and eyes which are black and beautiful."

Not to worry, though. While marriages of monarchs were primarily arranged for political reasons and secondly to produce a legitimate heir to the dynasty, for sex - and possibly love - there were mistresses, of which Henry VIII had very many, which is why Elizabeth I was born with syphilis preinstalled.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

jamest

Post by jamest » Tue May 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
jamest wrote:Are you going to be voting on Thursday? Well, you can thank Oliver Cromwell and untold thousands of 17th century Englishmen for that privilege (well, the vote came later, but it all started here).
Seriously? You claim the importance of history and get it so glaringly wrong! Cromwell had nothing at all to do with voting reform.

Henry VI gave the right to vote to male property owners of 40 shillings or more in 1432. That remained unchanged (except for minor adjustments) until 1831!
I was obviously referring to parliament taking governmental power from the monarchy, which slowly led to that parliament being accountable to the common man/woman when they all eventually gained the right to vote. Clearly, the historical significance of this event was enormous wrt England's [and subsequently Britain's] future.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue May 05, 2015 3:51 pm

jamest wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

I was obviously referring to parliament taking governmental power from the monarchy, which slowly led to that parliament being accountable to the common man/woman when they all eventually gained the right to vote. Clearly, the historical significance of this event was enormous wrt England's [and subsequently Britain's] future.
Wrong fucking Cromwell!

Thomas Cromwell died a hundred years before Oliver's brief spell as Lord Protector! :roll:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 05, 2015 4:10 pm

Oh dear. Someone doesn't know their history. How on earth do you get through each day, James, without knowing about the different Cromwells?

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue May 05, 2015 4:13 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Oh dear. Someone doesn't know their history. How on earth do you get through each day, James, without knowing about the different Cromwells?
The observation of a Cromwell is not the same as an actual Cromwell. :hehe:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue May 05, 2015 4:20 pm

but is a given cromwell living and dead at the same time until actually observed?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

jamest

Post by jamest » Tue May 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
jamest wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

Wrong fucking Cromwell!

Thomas Cromwell died a hundred years before Oliver's brief spell as Lord Protector! :roll:
Wtf are you talking about? My reference to Oliver Cromwell had nothing to do with the OP! I was just providing you with an example of how history continues to live through the present.

jamest

Post by jamest » Tue May 05, 2015 5:39 pm

What a bunch of puddings.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue May 05, 2015 5:49 pm

jamest wrote:What a bunch of puddings.
Does the 1% wag the tail of history or the tail of historians? And does anyone trivial matter since they won't get a book written about them? What do you think? I do. :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue May 05, 2015 6:23 pm

jamest wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
jamest wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

Wrong fucking Cromwell!

Wtf are you talking about? My reference to Oliver Cromwell had nothing to do with the OP! I was just providing you with an example of how history continues to live through the present.
Either way, Oliver Cromwell was all about shifting power from the monarch to parliament. He did nothing to advance suffrage to the masses. He was elected by the forty shilling freeholders, same as every parliament from Henry VI.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue May 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Fucking roundhead bastards. I fucking hate roundheads.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.