History of Your Life

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

History of Your Life

Post by cronus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 am

I was born to stern parents who never saw the funny side of anything with Edwardian values...that brief time before WW1 and after the reign of Victoria. :cry:

My jokes are therefore almost always off key. Modern shock humour repels me as it would my parents.

I was good at art, interested in history and read biographies in the school library. Impressed by a book on a journey to Mars.

Got into sci-fi and read the library with regards it. Didn't really like medieval fantasy, or anything dumb. At the time these were separate genres and the future was modern.

Fortunate to have fallen into a education at a time when it was a teacher profession rather than a politicians one.

Fortunate to have a idea of modernity that is accurate and not reliant on sleek design.

Support the right of America to be here, on condition it don't start shooting its slave labour force in those big prisons it built.

What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Re: History of Your Life

Post by cronus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:48 am

....and I don't actually watch much TV. My wife does that. She reads the newspapers and keeps me informed about the world. Prefer not to think about it too much myself. Seen enough of it. :nono:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:12 pm

I was born a poor, black sharecropper's son. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi. I learned to shuck 'n jive by the time I could walk. Later I listened to Led Zeppelin and realized I was white.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:16 pm

:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:20 pm

rEvolutionist wrote::lol:
Why are you laughing at a honest man? What's your story then? :tea:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:34 pm

I was raised by rabid monkeys. I'm still rabid.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:37 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:I was raised by rabid monkeys. I'm still rabid.
You mean it's too embarrassingly normal to mention. :nono:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm a lower middle-class child. Pretty normal stuff. Parents died when I was young and life started falling to pieces in my early twenties.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:01 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:I'm a lower middle-class child. Pretty normal stuff. Parents died when I was young and life started falling to pieces in my early twenties.
My wifes dad died when she was ten. It hit's, she broke down too. She is over it now. Long ago.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:19 pm

Immigrant parents. Lived likemiddle class but we never had much property. My parents scraped by and owned a house at the end. Dad voted for Reagan when he was a small businessman. He was so extremely small he was but a fly to Reagan.

Poor health, both dead at 63. My mom died in the old country. Immigration was a failure. They were not better off here.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Oddly Tero my family did the reverse. Dad returned from WW2 to a tired and broken UK, said bugger this and shot off to Hong Kong where we lived like the colonial masters we were back then! Best thing they ever did.

My life has been nothing but shadows and of no meaning at all. I did OK financially but so what.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Rum wrote:Oddly Tero my family did the reverse. Dad returned from WW2 to a tired and broken UK, said bugger this and shot off to Hong Kong where we lived like the colonial masters we were back then! Best thing they ever did.

My life has been nothing but shadows and of no meaning at all. I did OK financially but so what.
The folks who'd give life meaning are mostly very poor scorning worldly wealth. Holy men, by any other name, who being on the margins see the world in a fuller more clear way. Heretics of the age. Holding the keys to a enlightenment unattainable by the conformer wage-slave, professional or not. Give me all your money and this mere fool shall introduce you to the wisest man on Earth, yourself. Reading the stock market thinking - thinking.

lofuji
About me: habitual drunkard, cannabis connoisseur; no wonder I never get anything done.

Post by lofuji » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:42 am

I grew up on a council estate, which meant that as a pupil of the local grammar school I was picked on regularly by the estate's bullies. Solution? I formed a gang with some school friends, and although there were only six of us, all the bigger gangs in town left us alone. Why? Because we had the technology to make bombs. It was obviously a more innocent age, because this kind of behavior would ensure a visit from Mr Plod nowadays.
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing. [
Macbeth]

It am wicked to mock the afflicted. [
BH (Calcutta), failed]

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope. [
Freewheelin' Franklin]

personal blog:
the view from fanling [stories about Hong Kong and any other shite I can think up]