American Rivers

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

American Rivers

Post by Blind groper » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:13 am

http://team.cartodb.com/u/andrew/viz/84 ... /embed_map

A rather beautiful on-line map of American rivers. Incredible detail and amazing beauty.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Re: American Rivers

Post by cronus » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:23 am

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... c_drought/

Needed: 11 Trillion Gallons to Replenish California Drought

Dec. 16, 2014: It will take about 11 trillion gallons of water (42 cubic kilometers) -- around 1.5 times the maximum volume of the largest U.S. reservoir -- to recover from California's continuing drought, according to a new analysis of NASA satellite data.

The finding was part of a sobering update on the state's drought made possible by space and airborne measurements and presented by NASA scientists Dec. 16 at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco. Such data are giving scientists an unprecedented ability to identify key features of droughts, data that can be used to inform water management decisions.

A team of scientists led by Jay Famiglietti of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California used data from NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) satellites to develop the first-ever calculation of this kind -- the volume of water required to end an episode of drought.

------

The scientists cautioned that while the recent California storms have been helpful in replenishing water resources, they aren't nearly enough to end the multi-year drought.

"It takes years to get into a drought of this severity, and it will likely take many more big storms, and years, to crawl out of it," said Famiglietti.

(continued)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

piscator

Post by piscator » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:39 am

Scumple wrote:http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... c_drought/

Needed: 11 Trillion Gallons to Replenish California Drought

Dec. 16, 2014: It will take about 11 trillion gallons of water (42 cubic kilometers) -- around 1.5 times the maximum volume of the largest U.S. reservoir -- to recover from California's continuing drought, according to a new analysis of NASA satellite data.

The finding was part of a sobering update on the state's drought made possible by space and airborne measurements and presented by NASA scientists Dec. 16 at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco. Such data are giving scientists an unprecedented ability to identify key features of droughts, data that can be used to inform water management decisions.

A team of scientists led by Jay Famiglietti of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California used data from NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) satellites to develop the first-ever calculation of this kind -- the volume of water required to end an episode of drought.

------

The scientists cautioned that while the recent California storms have been helpful in replenishing water resources, they aren't nearly enough to end the multi-year drought.

"It takes years to get into a drought of this severity, and it will likely take many more big storms, and years, to crawl out of it," said Famiglietti.

(continued)
California covers about 424,000 square kilometers, so in theory, a general rain of 1" ought to provide about 100x the volume of water theoretically required to theoretically end the theoretical drought.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:57 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... f-drought/

More evidence Mayan civilization collapsed because of drought

Even more than 1,000 years after their disappearance, it’s clear the Mayans had a good thing going.

This was a civilization with hieroglypics, mathematics and art. This was a civilization with pyramids, agriculture and a complex economy. Sure: The Mayans enjoyed the occasional human sacrifice, and their calendar incorrectly predicted the world would end in 2012. But centered in what is now Guatemala, this civilization rivaled its contemporaries springing up in drafty castles in Europe.

Then, sometime around 900 A.D., Mayan society collapsed. No one is sure why. But, after years of speculation, a new study provides further evidence for a oft-named cause: drought.

(continue)

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:04 am

Joan?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:52 am

JimC wrote:Joan?
Denial is also an American river. :tup:

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Scumple wrote:
JimC wrote:Joan?
Denial is also an American river. :tup:
Are you in Seine?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:56 pm

Danube, man! :lay:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:58 pm

River Phoenix.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.