100-year-old bottle of beer found at St Piran's church

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:55 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-26660405

A bottle of beer believed to be more than 100-years-old has been found at an ancient church in Cornwall.

The bottle, still containing some of the beer, was found at St Piran's Oratory, near Perranporth, which is believed to be among the oldest places of Christian worship in Britain.

St Piran is the patron saint of tin miners and the phrase 'drunk as a Perraner' also comes from the legend.

The beer will be analysed to see what brew was used.

A spokesman from St Austell Brewery said it was believed the bottle dated back to 1910 and was found in an "immaculate condition".

He added the bottle also had a swastika logo on the cap, a popular brewing symbol at the time.

Archaeologist James Gossip said the bottle was believed to have been left in the sand by a worker in 1910 when the oratory was encased in a concrete structure in an attempt to protect it from the encroaching sand and waves.

(continued)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: 100-year-old bottle of beer found at St Piran's church

Post by FBM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:11 pm

Dismal saga of a wasted beer. :cry:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:38 pm

FBM wrote:Dismal saga of a wasted beer. :cry:
The bottle is empty now.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Past its best-before date.
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:44 pm

They could do something like the microbrewery Stallhagen from the Åland island has done. Replicating a 200 year old beer found in a shipwreck.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/e ... -1.1289721

Couldn't find anything resent about it in English, but according to Finnish press they are now ready to sell about 2000 bottles for about 100€ each, and if the reception is good they might continue the manufacturing and start selling it for a more regular price.

BTW: the researcher referred to in the article is a very old and dear friend to me, whom I haven't met in ages. Didn't even now she had analysed that beer until I dug for that article. :ab:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman