This is purely a question for our UK members

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

This is purely a question for our UK members

Post by Trolldor » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:41 am

What can you tell me about the Mau Mau revolt in 1950s or the Deccan plateau in 1876?
Without using google or wikipedia.

Edit: Or the internet, for that matter.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Re: This is purely a question for our UK members

Post by AshtonBlack » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:43 am

Not a great deal.

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:16 am

The Mau Mau was the activist violent arm an independence movement started I think by a guy called Kenyatta in Kenya. (Spelling could be wrong - this *is* from memory). They put the fear of god (sic) into the British colonials because of their habit of attacking Brit owned farms and farmers unannounced and with machetes. They were partly responsible for Kenya achieving independence. In passing it is an often overlooked and quite remarkable thing that the British empire collapsed and was handed back to native peoples with a relative lack of violence (there were of course exceptions). The British knew the game was up basically.

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:20 am

Rumertron wrote:The Mau Mau was the activist violent arm an independence movement started I think by a guy called Kenyatta in Kenya. (Spelling could be wrong - this *is* from memory). They put the fear of god (sic) into the British colonials because of their habit of attacking Brit owned farms and farmers unannounced and with machetes. They were partly responsible for Kenya achieving independence. In passing it is an often overlooked and quite remarkable thing that the British empire collapsed and was handed back to native peoples with a relative lack of violence (there were of course exceptions). The British knew the game was up basically.

Found this, not sure how factual it is, but it was preceeded by how rather than supress it like the the Armenian Genocide in Turkey, it was just sort of... Brushed over. Just wondered if it was the case, and when you said 'relative lack of violence' it was a bit more convinced.
The British Responded by driving up to 320,000 of them in to concentration camps(3). Most of the remained - over a million - were held in "enclosed villages". Prisoners were questioned with the help of "Slicing off ears, boring holes in to eardrums, flogging until death, pouring paraffin over suspects who were then set alight, and burning eardrums with lit ciagrettes"(4). British Soldiers used a "metal castrating instrument" to cut off testicles and fingers. "By the time I cut his balls off," one settler boasted, "he had no ears, and his eyeball, the right one I think, was haning out of its socket."(5) The soldiers were told they could shoot anyone they liked, "provided they were black"(6). Elkin's evidence suggests that over 100,000 Kikuyu were either killed by the British or died of starvation inside the camps. David Anderson documents the hanging of 1090 suspected rebels - far more than the French executed in Algeria(7). Thousands more were summarily executed by Soldiers, who claimed they had "failed to halt" when challenged.
3,5 - Caroline Elkins, Britain's Gulag: The Brutal End of Empire in Kenya (London: Jonathon Cape, 2005)
4,6 - Mark Curtis, Web of Deceit: Britain's Real Role in the World (London: Vintage, 2003)
7 - David Anderson, Histories of the Hanged: Britain's Dirty War in Kenya and the End of Empire (London: Weidenfeld and Nicholson, 2005)
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:39 am

born-again-atheist wrote:
Rumertron wrote:The Mau Mau was the activist violent arm an independence movement started I think by a guy called Kenyatta in Kenya. (Spelling could be wrong - this *is* from memory). They put the fear of god (sic) into the British colonials because of their habit of attacking Brit owned farms and farmers unannounced and with machetes. They were partly responsible for Kenya achieving independence. In passing it is an often overlooked and quite remarkable thing that the British empire collapsed and was handed back to native peoples with a relative lack of violence (there were of course exceptions). The British knew the game was up basically.

Found this, not sure how factual it is, but it was preceeded by how rather than supress it like the the Armenian Genocide in Turkey, it was just sort of... Brushed over. Just wondered if it was the case, and when you said 'relative lack of violence' it was a bit more convinced.
The British Responded by driving up to 320,000 of them in to concentration camps(3). Most of the remained - over a million - were held in "enclosed villages". Prisoners were questioned with the help of "Slicing off ears, boring holes in to eardrums, flogging until death, pouring paraffin over suspects who were then set alight, and burning eardrums with lit ciagrettes"(4). British Soldiers used a "metal castrating instrument" to cut off testicles and fingers. "By the time I cut his balls off," one settler boasted, "he had no ears, and his eyeball, the right one I think, was haning out of its socket."(5) The soldiers were told they could shoot anyone they liked, "provided they were black"(6). Elkin's evidence suggests that over 100,000 Kikuyu were either killed by the British or died of starvation inside the camps. David Anderson documents the hanging of 1090 suspected rebels - far more than the French executed in Algeria(7). Thousands more were summarily executed by Soldiers, who claimed they had "failed to halt" when challenged.
3,5 - Caroline Elkins, Britain's Gulag: The Brutal End of Empire in Kenya (London: Jonathon Cape, 2005)
4,6 - Mark Curtis, Web of Deceit: Britain's Real Role in the World (London: Vintage, 2003)
7 - David Anderson, Histories of the Hanged: Britain's Dirty War in Kenya and the End of Empire (London: Weidenfeld and Nicholson, 2005)
Your point? I'm not defending British colonialism. However 2/3 of the land surface of the world was British controlled and 'owned' in the colonial sense by the late 1800s. The fact that it was all returned to its rightful (and not so rightful) owners by the late 1950s without total war breaking out in the colonies is something of an achievement I would suggest.

Sisifo

Post by Sisifo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:49 am

Rumertron wrote: without total war breaking out in the colonies is something of an achievement I would suggest.
I hope you are joking. Apart of the fact that independence was granted after years of conflict with hundreds of thousands of Kenyans massacred, tortured and raped, the British (and French) post colonialism, leaving the political power to keen barons while keeping the Economy in the hands of the colonialist companies, is nothing to be but sorry and apologetic.

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:10 am

Rumertron wrote:

Your point? I'm not defending British colonialism. However 2/3 of the land surface of the world was British controlled and 'owned' in the colonial sense by the late 1800s. The fact that it was all returned to its rightful (and not so rightful) owners by the late 1950s without total war breaking out in the colonies is something of an achievement I would suggest.
I never said you were defending it, I'm saying what you know about it is wrong.

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:24 am

Sisifo wrote:
Rumertron wrote: without total war breaking out in the colonies is something of an achievement I would suggest.
I hope you are joking. Apart of the fact that independence was granted after years of conflict with hundreds of thousands of Kenyans massacred, tortured and raped, the British (and French) post colonialism, leaving the political power to keen barons while keeping the Economy in the hands of the colonialist companies, is nothing to be but sorry and apologetic.
Emotive words.

The OP and subsequent posts hint at attempting to shame UK members by revealing our ignorance of horrors in the country's past - "tell me what you know about this event and this event without looking it up", or perhaps shock us into anger at our nation for "covering up" past atrocities.

It doesn't surprise me at all that the British Empire had its share of abuses - hasn't every major power done so in its time? And hasn't every major power played down those events in its own glorious history? I dare say that my living standards today, and probably my existence, owe no small thanks to the evils of exploitative Empire in the past. Am I expected to feel personal remorse or shame for of the actions (and the ignorance) of people of five generations ago who, by chance, I came to share a geographical heritage with?

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 am

Thinking Aloud wrote:
Sisifo wrote:
Emotive words.

The OP and subsequent posts hint at attempting to shame UK members by revealing our ignorance of horrors in the country's past - "tell me what you know about this event and this event without looking it up", or perhaps shock us into anger at our nation for "covering up" past atrocities.

It doesn't surprise me at all that the British Empire had its share of abuses - hasn't every major power done so in its time? And hasn't every major power played down those events in its own glorious history? I dare say that my living standards today, and probably my existence, owe no small thanks to the evils of exploitative Empire in the past. Am I expected to feel personal remorse or shame for of the actions (and the ignorance) of people of five generations ago who, by chance, I came to share a geographical heritage with?
Completely and utterly wrong, and that's most profoundly because you don't know shit about me. It's not ignorance, the simple fact is the reason you don't know anything about it, the reason you are "ignorant" about it as a general public, is because it was a deliberate attempt to make you so.
Edit:
I don't want reactions, I don't put stock in bawwing, I was just interested on whether
A) it was correct
and
B) What your reaction would be

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:58 am

born-again-atheist wrote:Completely and utterly wrong, and that's most profoundly because you don't know shit about me.
I'm very sorry I misinterpreted yours and others posts.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:20 am

Sisifo wrote:
This is the height of revisionism - history seen through the eyes of modern day values. There was no pristine state of being to return most of the territories to - things had moved on and of course in great measure because of colonialism. Are you suggesting that the Brits (or other colonial powers) should just have upped stakes and left them to it, or that Realpolitik should have been ignored?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:22 am

Thinking Aloud wrote:
Sisifo wrote:
Emotive words.

Completely and utterly wrong, and that's most profoundly because you don't know shit about me. It's not ignorance, the simple fact is the reason you don't know anything about it, the reason you are "ignorant" about it as a general public, is because it was a deliberate attempt to make you so.
Edit:
I don't want reactions, I don't put stock in bawwing, I was just interested on whether
A) it was correct
and
B) What your reaction would be
God you can be a prat. I withdraw this remark as it is personal abuse. :biggrin:

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:33 am

Thinking Aloud wrote:
born-again-atheist wrote:Completely and utterly wrong, and that's most profoundly because you don't know shit about me.
I'm very sorry I misinterpreted yours and others posts.
You shouldn't be. The British Empire was huge, and thus the amount of historical detail to be covered in any study of it is correspondingly daunting. It is hardly surprising that seemingly major episodes could get overlooked, sometimes due to the residual effects of factual suppression or whitewashing - or just plain ignorance.

BAA, why are you (apparently) spoiling for a fight? There was no need to pursue this in the confrontational way that you have done. You could have responded to TA's very reasonable and carefully worded observation without the "you don't know shit about me" bit. :roll:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:19 am

Ain't a Brit, but I know of Jomo Kenyatta.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 pm

No doubt the Empire's apron is not entirely without stains but then the time since independence has hardly been a barrel of laughs, either. Of course, independence had to come but former African colonies have not been well served by their post-colonial rulers. See The State of Africa by Martin Meredith for a comprehensive catalogue of post-colonial corruption and genocide.

This is an odd thread...
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]