Funky weapons.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Funky weapons.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 19, 2009 11:12 am

First entry:
nordenfeltsystem.jpg
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Feck

Re: Funky weapons.

Post by Feck » Tue May 19, 2009 11:15 am

Was the chicken wire there to protect the gunner from combat trained fowl ?
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 19, 2009 11:18 am

mrenutt4 wrote:Was the chicken wire there to protect the gunner from combat trained fowl ?
The dude was about 120 feet above the water. For some reason they insisted on some minimal restraint system. Bloody Brits are such wimps. :nono:

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Tue May 19, 2009 11:21 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
mrenutt4 wrote:Was the chicken wire there to protect the gunner from combat trained fowl ?
The dude was about 120 feet above the water. For some reason they insisted on some minimal restraint system. Bloody Brits are such wimps. :nono:
Hold on, what type of ship was this installed on? And with all the clutter on deck (to say nothing of superstructure), what sort of field of fire would there have been? :think:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Feck

Post by Feck » Tue May 19, 2009 11:26 am

Gawdzilla wrote:

After their actions at Gloster Hill during the Battle of the Imjin River in 1951, following which the regiment was awarded the South Korean Distinguished Unit Citation and United States Distinguished Unit Citation, the regiment gained the nickname "The Glorious Glosters", for its heroic last stand against overwhelming Chinese forces.
Umm shall we not mention that one then

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 19, 2009 11:26 am

klr wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Hold on, what type of ship was this installed on? And with all the clutter on deck (to say nothing of superstructure), what sort of field of fire would there have been? :think:
The term "fighting top" is a literal phrase in this situation. The mgs were intended to replace the snipers and blunderbusses that had been used in times past. (Nelson could attest to the effectiveness of sniping from the fighting tops, I think.)

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 19, 2009 11:27 am

mrenutt4 wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

After their actions at Gloster Hill during the Battle of the Imjin River in 1951, following which the regiment was awarded the South Korean Distinguished Unit Citation and United States Distinguished Unit Citation, the regiment gained the nickname "The Glorious Glosters", for its heroic last stand against overwhelming Chinese forces.
"He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day." (I never got a medal I wanted at the time.)

Feck

Post by Feck » Tue May 19, 2009 11:30 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
mrenutt4 wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

"He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day." (I never got a medal I wanted at the time.)
Well yes you live to fight anotherday when the Glorious had got your backs
;)

klr

Post by klr » Tue May 19, 2009 11:31 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
klr wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
The term "fighting top" is a literal phrase in this situation. The mgs were intended to replace the snipers and blunderbusses that had been used in times past. (Nelson could attest to the effectiveness of sniping from the fighting tops, I think.)
Indeed he could have had, if he'd lived long enough. :whistle:

When was this system designed though? Surely putting yourself alongside the enemy was a bit out of date by them. :?
Gawdzilla wrote:
mrenutt4 wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

RAF Bomber Command version:

"He who bombs on ETA, lives to bomb another day"

Helps to explain why they couldn't hit anything at all for the first few years. :hum:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Tue May 19, 2009 11:34 am

A 3 chambered Flintrock revolver rifle from 1710.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 19, 2009 11:37 am

Kevin, the era would be the early 1880s, right at the end of the Age of Sail. (I know we won't argue about exactly when the Age of Sail ended, will we?)

klr

Post by klr » Tue May 19, 2009 11:41 am

Gawdzilla wrote:Kevin, the era would be the early 1880s, right at the end of the Age of Sail. (I know we won't argue about exactly when the Age of Sail ended, will we?)
Yes, I'd kind of guessed it was the latter half of the 19th C. Everything points to that era, including the gun design, Royal Navy mentality :roll: ...

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 19, 2009 11:48 am

klr wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Kevin, the era would be the early 1880s, right at the end of the Age of Sail. (I know we won't argue about exactly when the Age of Sail ended, will we?)
Yes, I'd kind of guessed it was the latter half of the 19th C. Everything points to that era, including the gun design, Royal Navy mentality :roll: ...
I love the "experimental stage" in weapons development, before they settle on one general design. You see the strangest stuff come up. The first 120 pages of the book I'm working on now covers the "Manual Feed Era." They tried EVERYTHING. :what:

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Tue May 19, 2009 11:51 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
klr wrote:
I love the "experimental stage" in weapons development, before they settle on one general design. You see the strangest stuff come up. The first 120 pages of the book I'm working on now covers the "Manual Feed Era." They tried EVERYTHING. :what:
Here is what I guess is its "younger brother".

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explor ... ID=AAA2609
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 19, 2009 12:02 pm

leo-rcc wrote:Here is what I guess is its "younger brother".

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explor ... ID=AAA2609
Yeah. Still manual feed, but the ammo hopper is improved/expanded. Looks like they realized that they needed a solid base to handle the recoil as well.