First troll for history-oriented talent for a new forum.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: First troll for history-oriented talent for a new forum.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon May 18, 2009 5:33 pm

Right now I'm doing a five volume history of the machine gun, about 3,500 pages, for hyperwar. This is what I do primarily, posting on the forums is NOT my principle occupation.

Part of the forum will be for the volunteers we have working on these documents.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)

Post by Don't Panic » Mon May 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Count me as interested anyway, sorry for the derail.
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon May 18, 2009 5:35 pm

DP wrote:Count me as interested anyway, sorry for the derail.
I was stunned that somebody would derail one of MY thread before I got the chance, anyway.

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Post by Don't Panic » Mon May 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
I was stunned that somebody would derail one of MY thread before I got the chance, anyway.
Force of habit, I will post the history of the "aubergine" incident once I think of something.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Mon May 18, 2009 5:38 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
There was a time when a Gawdzilla derail wasn't complete without one of these:
http://www.modelworks-int.com/asp/Tiger%20Tank.jpg[/imgc]
DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Force of habit, I will post the history of the "aubergine" incident once I think of something.
Actually knowing real history is usually easier than making shit up. :whisper:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Post by Don't Panic » Mon May 18, 2009 5:41 pm

klr wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
There was a time when a Gawdzilla derail wasn't complete without one of these:
http://www.modelworks-int.com/asp/Tiger%20Tank.jpg[/imgc]
DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Actually knowing real history is usually easier than making shit up. :whisper:
To the best of my knowledge there was no such incident so I may have to create it, if it turns out that there was then I'll be very scared. :shock:

I know a little history but reading some of the conspiracy theories is fun too, Pearl Harbour generated a few good ones. :-)
D.N.A.

klr

Post by klr » Mon May 18, 2009 5:44 pm

DP wrote: ...
I know a little history but reading some of the conspiracy theories is fun too, Pearl Harbour generated a few good ones. :-)
Arguments over conspiracy theories aren't nearly as much fun as arguments over actual policy/command decisions. Mind you, sometimes it's hard to separate the two. I seem to remember a certain thread back at RD.net about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, where some seriously crazy shit came out of the woodwork. :banghead:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Post by Don't Panic » Mon May 18, 2009 6:02 pm

klr wrote:
DP wrote: ...
Arguments over conspiracy theories aren't nearly as much fun as arguments over actual policy/command decisions. Mind you, sometimes it's hard to separate the two. I seem to remember a certain thread back at RD.net about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, where some seriously crazy shit came out of the woodwork. :banghead:
It always does, most of the crazy theories are based on unusual interpretations of some of the existing facts. It's interesting to see how perspective can skew things, especially when you remember that history is written by the victors.
D.N.A.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon May 18, 2009 6:34 pm

The sheer ignorance that informs many people is breathtaking.

Some years ago I was in Morocco, not exactly the most radically Islamist country in the world, though still a sworn enemy of Israel of course. I was chatting to a group of young guys in a small town on the north coast near a place called Tetuan. Somehow the subject of WW 2 came up - I really can't remember how.

One of the guys said in his broken English/French that he wanted to thank me personally as a British person, for fighting along with Hitler to try to destroy the Jews in WW2.

I assume my jaw dropped open..and I recall wondering where the hell to start with this!

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Mon May 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Certainly interested. I think I may know someone else who would be very interested too.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

klr

Post by klr » Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm

Rumertron wrote:The sheer ignorance that informs many people is breathtaking.

Some years ago I was in Morocco, not exactly the most radically Islamist country in the world, though still a sworn enemy of Israel of course. I was chatting to a group of young guys in a small town on the north coast near a place called Tetuan. Somehow the subject of WW 2 came up - I really can't remember how.

One of the guys said in his broken English/French that he wanted to thank me personally as a British person, for fighting along with Hitler to try to destroy the Jews in WW2.

I assume my jaw dropped open..and I recall wondering where the hell to start with this!
:shock: How did he know you were in the British Free Corps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Free_Corps :mrgreen:

Geoff
Pouncer

Post by Geoff » Mon May 18, 2009 7:19 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
klr wrote:What's wrong with the existing WW II forums? :?
This one will be focused primary on the documents we have at ibiblio.org/hyperwar and ibiblio.org/pha, so it will probably be a low traffic forum. But given that over 10,000 universities and school have link to one or both of the sites I may be wrong about that.
So...this will be the edited version of WWII that started in Dec 1941 then...? ;)

I suppose I'd better wander along at some point to dilute the US-centricity (or should that be eccentricity?)

Count me in! :tup:
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon May 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Geoff wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
This one will be focused primary on the documents we have at ibiblio.org/hyperwar and ibiblio.org/pha, so it will probably be a low traffic forum. But given that over 10,000 universities and school have link to one or both of the sites I may be wrong about that.
So...this will be the edited version of WWII that started in Dec 1941 then...? ;)

I suppose I'd better wander along at some point to dilute the US-centricity (or should that be eccentricity?)

Arguably WW2 started in 1918.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon May 18, 2009 7:58 pm

Geoff wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Actually, I have five volumes of the official Indian Army's WWII history on the shelf to be done. We iz eclectic. The document side has material "from Gandhi to Goering", etc. :levi:

klr

Post by klr » Mon May 18, 2009 8:01 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Actually, I have five volumes of the official Indian Army's WWII history on the shelf to be done. We iz eclectic. The document side has material "from Gandhi to Goering", etc. :levi:
Now that I want to see, having a particular fascination with the Burma campaign. 8-)